2014 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Aug 222016

Santa Fe

While driving the vehicle around town, the engine suddenly started making a loud knocking noise. The mileage was at 63K miles. We stopped driving it immediately and took it to the dealer who services it for us (maple hill kalamazoo) and were informed the engine seized. The first thing they did was check the oil, which was full. They have done all of our service for us. They said there is something banging around inside the engine. In searching the internet I found there is a recall for the sonata engine (15V568000). The engine in our car is the same 4 cylinder engine as in the sonata. The service manager at maple hill contacted the Hyundai factory rep who told him to take the engine apart and send him pictures. The service manager said I don't know what they are going to do, but I think they will work with you.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Jan 292016

Santa Fe

Previously reported to dealer that car often stalled or hesitated when accelerating after a stop or very slow forward motion. This has ended up in numerous hesitations and near accidents when entering into traffic. On Friday, 1/29/16 while exiting from the 9th tier of a parking garage the hesitation happened on all 9 tiers as I rounded the corner to the next tier and began to accelerate. I have an appointment again with the dealer on 2/19/16 and will report further after that but suspect I will get the same message that they "could find nothing wrong".

- Nekoosa, WI, USA

Sep 092015

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving various speeds, an abnormal noise was heard coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 29,000.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Jun 022014

Santa Fe

The car makes a scraping metal noise only when accelerating. Speed is not a factor. Happens each and everytime you accelerate. Hyundai replaced the crank position sensor wheel twice. Hyundai does not know what the problem is and have had my car for almost 2 months!

- Medfield, MA, USA

Aug 112015

Santa Fe

While driving at 60 mph the vehicle lost rpms and the ability to accelerate. I pulled over safely to the side of the road and called Hyundai roadside assistance. Roadside assistance could not validate my location. I attempted to drive to the next town but rpms stayed from 1000-2000 and I was unable to go over 25 mph.

- Twentynine Palms, CA, USA

Apr 222015

Santa Fe

Exited I95 going 60mph and as I slowed down for the ramp the steering wheel went loose. As I climbed up the ramp the car wouldn't accelerate and finally stopped 40 yards after the steering wheel went loose. I had no control over the speed after the steering wheel went loose since I could not accelerate. I learned the engine just stopped working. Based on what I've read this has happened to others with sante fes on the highway so I was lucky I had just gotten off the highway. I had it towed to Hyundai who advised they had never seen this before and this was a 'unique' case and I should 'feel special'. no car should just stop unless the driver chooses to stop. After almost 3 weeks I got my car back (5/11/15). They had replaced the computer that runs the engine ('box assy- eng modu' & 'electronic contro'). my vehicle was purchased new in Nov 2014 and this event happened in April 2015.

- Lorton, VA, USA

Jun 022014

Santa Fe 4-cyl

This is a transmission problem shifting 1-2nd gear, as we slow down to enter our garage and wait for door to open, the car lurches forward with huge amount of force, almost as if we are hit from behind, then it goes into gear and proceeds. Happens almost every day now. I read many consumer blogs saying this is an issue for the Santa Fe models. Definitely a transmission issue.

- Fallbrook, CA, USA

Mar 042014

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I purchased a new car, on Feb.1, 2014. The malfunction lamp on the dashboard was lighted up in 1 month. My car was repaired from my dealership several times but the problems are not cleared yet. At last, the very serious problem was happened on Apr. 19. I stepped down fully on the gas pedal on the highway, but my car was not changed in speed. The RPM and speed meter were not changed when I stepped on the pedal perfectly to the end. The staff in service center said that the problem came from the right and left side bolt of high-pressure pump. The right hand side bolt had come apart and left hand side bolt was loose. They didn't know that why this problem was happened. That's my all serious story!

- College Station, TX, USA

Jan 222014

Santa Fe

The vehicle kept stalling on free way and locally.

- Wynnewood, PA, USA

Feb 202014

Santa Fe

The vehicle stalled so frequently, either on free way and local.

- Wynnewood, PA, USA