2017 Hyundai Santa Fe drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 052016

Santa Fe

Santa Fe will stall from a stop when making a turn also will stall at a slow speed when you try to give it gas the date I put on this form is the last time it happened. This problem has happened before.

- Berea, KY, USA

Sep 252016

Santa Fe

I bought a 2017 Hyundai sante fe torbo ultimate and found on excelleration there was a bad hesitation. I was almost killed when going on to the highway, a tractor trailer was far enought away from me to pull out, but upon stepping on the gas the car hesitated so bad it almost stalled, then the tach shot to 6000 RPM's and it took off. Thank god I could pull over or I would have been killed.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Sep 062016

Santa Fe

We bought a 2017 Santa Fe sport with the 2.0 T engine in July of 2017. It has about 5,000 miles on it and has now started to hesitate badly when trying to accelerate when turning. It seems as though it either loses power or the transmission is not in the correct gear. The result is a very dangerous situation when try to turn onto a road with traffic. We are going to call the dealership were we purchased the car to see if there is any fix. I see from other complaints this is turning out to be a common issue.

- Boyds, MD, USA

Aug 302016

Santa Fe

When accelerating at low speeds, the vehicle does not shift properly and poses danger. Took it to a dealer and confirmed that the vehicle does not shift properly. Since it does not throw check engine light, dealer specified that they are not supposed to fix it without any code. This looks really danger.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Sep 242016

Santa Fe

When accelerating from a stop and entering traffic, when you press on accelerator the transmission dis engages and leaves you in the middle of the intersection with no power and putting you in danger of being hit. Once transmission kicks back in, the engine revs and vehicle jolts. This is very dangerous and will get someone killed. Hyundai has to address this issue.

- Onalaska, WI, USA

Sep 162016

Santa Fe

I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe limited ultimate and like many people across the usa the car has hesitation when trying to accelerate at speeds below 20 mph. I had the recall / reflash of the computer done on 08/10/16 and the hesitation in turns is a little less abrupt but still present and intermittent. I never had hesitation when 4th gear down shifted to 3rd gear going straight but I now have it along with hesitation when the car down shifts from 3rd to 2nd. I've called Hyundai customer service and asked for a buy back and they told me chris from regional will call me back in 3 to 5 business days I've called customer service twice and asked for an update on my case ( case number 9309476) and they just keep telling me regional will call me that was two weeks ago. I have never asked for a buy back on any car and I have been very patient as many people have been across the country but at this point I feel I am going to have to contact a lawyer that handles lemon laws to get any results. In addition Hyundai has never addressed the lack of audible warning in the front passenger seat when the occupant does not fasten their safety belt. Good luck to all with same issue.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Aug 182016

Santa Fe

Hesitation when turning and accelerating from a stop, as you do when pulling out into traffic. Car nearly comes to a stop. Nearly had an accident and I have less than 1000 miles on odometer. Does this intermittently and is bar to recreate at will. Happens mostly in normal mode. Need a recall and fix!!

- Gordonsville, VA, USA

Aug 022016

Santa Fe

The transsmision fails to shift down upon coming to a rolling stop, such as when coming to a stop at a red light, then the light goes green and you accelerate, or turning in an intersection after coming to a near stop, or after traffic slows and you come to a near stop behind a car, then traffic begins to move and you accelerate out of the slow down. Upon acceleration, the car initially does not respond, then immediately following the hesitation, lurches forward as the transmission finally shifts to a lower gear. This usually occurs at speeds under 10mph. The situation is dangerous as the hesitation is not only abrupt, but leaves you hanging precariously, momentarily dead in the water when acceleration is needed in traffic. This problem has been reported to the manufacturer. The manufacturer feels it is a software glitch. The frequency of the problem is increasing, and may eventually lead to an accident. The vehicle performs well otherwise.

- Flat Rock, MI, USA

May 152016

Santa Fe

On low speed turns (below 20 mph) the engine and transmission exhibit a loss of power. This jeopardizes my family's safety when turning in traffic. I have opened a case with Hyundai America (#9484960) who left me a voicemail (still have it) stating there is a software update to address the issue I described. I had update #16-01-032 applied on 08/15/2016. However, the issue is till present. I also just discovered that when towing a trailer the right turn signal does not work. This is another safety issue. Additionally the lights of the trailer constantly run even when the power is completely off. Lastly the harness where the trailers electrical plugs into on the vehicle, pops out of place when plugging it in. In turn causing me to reseat the vehicles harness each time. I want out of this vehicle but they will not offer me a buy back. I plan to contact a lemon law attorney as I am unable to receive help otherwise.

- Charles Town, WV, USA

Aug 132016

Santa Fe

When accelerating after slowing down to either make a left or right turn car loses power to the engine. It appears that the car is hesitating to accelerate and can be very dangerous when entering the highway. This can be very fatal especially for drivers unaware of this issue. If it presents itself at the wrong time can lead to a very serious accidents with potential fatalities. This has happened since the car was purchased in May 2016 currently car has over 1600 miles (3 months owned). Potential re-flashing of automotive computer is required. Could be part of the traction control system and the cars roll over sensors which can be contributing. Hyundai has to research this before someone gets injured.

- Flushing, NY, USA

Jul 152016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe. While attempting to accelerate, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact stated that the failure occurred every time the vehicle was driven. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was acknowledged, but there was no remedy. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- Fort Knox, KY, USA

Jul 022016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe. After parking the vehicle, the contact was unable to shift the gear out of park. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a local dealer and the instrument cluster was replaced. The failure recurred and the vehicle was towed back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the smart junction box needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures and assisted the dealer with the diagnostic. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Hot Spring Village, AR, USA

Jul 232016

Santa Fe

The care has less than 200 miles on it. It has a serious hesitation problem when slowing down and then attempting to accelerate. This has caused me a couple of near collisions when slowing down through an intersection and then attempting to drive through. The car will not respond immediately to may attempt to accelerate. There are numerous other complaints of this make and model (I have the Santa Fe ultimate version).

- Leominster, MA, USA

May 282016

Santa Fe

Sometimes after slowing to make a turn the car's engine seems to "stumble" for a second before acceleration can begin. Comes as a surprise and because of the hesitation catching me off-guard I am pitched forward in my seat. Nothing catastrophic, but very annoying and could be dangerous to a driver not knowledgeable about this problem. This is a brand new car and I noticed this problem after only a day or two of ownership. I suspect this is a software issue and can be fixed with a reflash of the ECU, but that's just my best guess. Have not contacted the dealership yet, but thought I'd file this complaint first to see if a recall can be issued to fix this problem.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 172016

Santa Fe

I am experience a hesitation in the acceleration from either a dead stop or a rolling stop. When the accelerator is pushed, there is a 1-2 second delay in power. The engine appears to cut out and then it kicks in and takes off. The first happened with 50 miles on the car and has happened over two dozen times over the next 3700 miles. Not only is it very annoying, but has been dangerous when trying to enter a lane to get up to speed with traffic.

- Plainfield, IN, USA

Jun 292016

Santa Fe

Hesitates when taking off. Jerks at about 10 mph and then again at about 20 mph but not as bad as at 10 mph. Hesitates when given gas after jerking. Feels as if I have got to about 10 mph then slammed on my breaks before it will start to go again. I'm scared to try and pull out into busy traffic. I am worried I will get hit due to not being able to depend that it will go when I'm trying to go.

- Van Buren, AR, USA

Jul 112016

Santa Fe

The vehicle :"chokes" out at low speed often when turning a corner or from a slow start. I took the vehicle into the dealer and they ran diagnostics and declared they detected no problem. However, the problem still exists and may cause an issue if acceleration is required.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Jul 082016

Santa Fe

Brand new vehicle (1600 miles) hesitates when I go from a complete stop and start to accelerate at low speeds. Mainly notice it when taking a corner. It seems as if it has trouble selecting the gear and once it does, it lurches forward. Dangerous when pulling out into traffic as the hesitation puts you in the middle of the road just a little too long for comfort. Also, my traction control light will come on around certain corners and leaves me without control of the car. Also another safety issue as again the car hesitates or locks up because of this feature and doesn't allow me to drive forward as I wish. It's the middle of the summer without any rain and definitely no snow on the ground (I'd say perfect road conditions) so no real reason why my traction control should be turning on around corners. Very concerned about this issue! also, I should note that these issues have been happening long before 1600 miles. I noticed them the first week or so that I took the vehicle home so definitely less than 500 miles as I bought it new. For a brand new, fairly expensive vehicle I shouldn't have to feel like my confidence in it's basic performance is compromised.

- Turners Falls, MA, USA

Jun 282016

Santa Fe

Transmission not down shifting when re throttling out of corners as in turning and when trying to cross traffic, you slow down than hit the gas and it feels like it's in a high gear, you slowly creeps out into on coming traffic waiting for the down shift to put you into 1 St gear so you won't be killed by on coming flow, very dangerous, vehicle one week old

- Martinsville, IN, USA

May 012016

Santa Fe

2017 Santa Fe SE 3.3L V-6 (3 row) frequently hesitates/stumbles badly when given normal acceleration at 5-15 mph. When slowing down or rolling stop, vehicle seems not to downshift from 3rd gear to 2nd gear correctly. Car is unresponsive for 1-3 seconds, then there is a delay and lurching forward as the car finally downshifts and accelerates. I have had a number of dangerous circumstances where the car stumbled just as I was accelerating to merge with faster traffic. The selling dealer drove the car and could not find a problem or an error code in any of the onboard systems. Problem occurs in all 3 drive modes. Problem became very noticeable at approximately 200 miles. Car now has 1300 miles. Problem has not improved or changed since I purchased the car new in April, 2016.

- Aurora, CO, USA