2001 Hyundai Sonata miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Hyundai Sonata:

2001 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Apr 082006

Sonata 4-cyl

My 2001 Hyundai Sonata was bought new. It has given me nothing but problems from the time I drove it off the lot and as soon as I hit the 60,000 mile mark (the bumper-to-bumper warranty ended at this point), the car constantly has something wrong with it. I have spent thousands of dollars in repairs. The airbags were fixed by the dealer because there was a problem. The brakes had a loud squeak and dealer replaced (under warranty at that time). The side front window motors have been fixed twice and now the passenger side window motor is broken and I had to put tape on it so that it will stay up. The timing belt went out after the warranty. Some kind of coil broke and needed replacement. The engine light is always turning on. I stopped taking it to the dealer after the car broke down, had it towed, dealer in laurel, md claimed to have fixed it, charged me $768, picked up car, same problem, engine light still on and took it back to dealer. Dealer said there was yet another problem. They said they fixed it and they charged me over $500. Still the same problem. I took the car to a mechanic and was charged $45 for the repair. There have been several other problems that I have had to pay for repairs. I just spent $435 on another repair. Now, after each repair, I just wait for the engine light to turn on again for the next expensive repair and yet I'm still making car payments. Absolute worst car I have ever had.

- Bowie, MD, USA