1.7

2001 Hyundai Sonata suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Hyundai Sonata:

2001 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Apr 262016

Sonata

My car has a rear rust problem that has left the car undriveable. The support for the wheel has rusted through and the rear wheels are tilting in. I did lose control of the car as it swayed for one side of the road to the other lane and back. My speed was about 45 mph on a two lane road with a spead limit of 45 to 55. When I would hit a bump in the road the car swerved uncontrolably the rust is a serious safety problem that our government is ignoring. I have had the front of the car in for the original recall for the front subframe. Did you know that this recall allows the mechanic to drill holes in the subframe to help the moister escape. Sounds like a temporary fix to a serious problem because the design did not allow for moisture problems. Yet the problem is road salt according to the original law suit. But then why drill holes if the moisture is coming from the outside. The holes are not drilled for any reason except to allow moisture to escape from a poorly designed sub frame assembly. Hyundai refuses to do anything about the cars inherent problem. Would someone please correct this problem before more people get terrified or die. Really this needs to get done by our government. This is a serious safety problem. Like the pinto gas tank design.

- Brookfield, WI, USA

Dec 132014

Sonata 6-cyl

My cars front subframe broke due to corrosion and axle fell apart while driving.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 102014

Sonata 6-cyl

While driving the car the wheel and assembly broke free from the frame of the car which was completely rusted and dropped the car to the ground pushed the wheel assembly wheel well. After researching the make and model their is a recall pertaining to this issue but only applies to the salt belt. My car was originally sold and operated in Virginia for 7 years. This issue with the sub frame is the exact same issue as the recall but due to the car not being titled in the salt belt, even though it was driven through the so called salt belt, Hyundai is saying it is not covered under the recall. I believe all cars that experience this issue should be covered under the warranty as it is a major safety issue. I was lucky I wasn't going fast as it could have jeopardized my life or anyone else's that was traveling on the road.

- Conway, SC, USA

Sep 212013

Sonata

I was trying to avoid an accident, as I swerved the car fish tailed. The driver side rear tire hit the curb, at which point the tire actually buckled under the car. I had to have the car towed to a shop. When the mechanic looked at the car at first we believed we only needed the rear tire assembly. We then discovered there was extensive damage to the sub frame assembly. He told me the sub frame was rusted and rotted and he believe that was why there was so much damage. Then I was told by a friend there was a recall on the 2001 Hyundai Sonata sub frame. I later found out that it was the front sub frame. When reading the description of what was occurring in the recall of the front sub frame leads me to believe the same maybe occurring to the rear sub frame.

- Fall River, MA, USA

Aug 302013

Sonata 6-cyl

I took my 2001 Hyundai Sonata gls in to the dealership for a routine oil change. They called me to the service department to tell me that the cross member on the drivers side was rusted badly and may be cracked. They took pictures and contacted Hyundai to see if there were any recalls for this problem, as they had "never" seen it before. Hyundai has told them I am on my own for repairing it. Ridiculous, there is a recall for cars just across the river in mn for this exact problem. I shudder to think what would have happened had I been on the interstate driving 75 mph and it broke. How about a little responsibility Hyundai?? I have had this car in for all routine maintenance as required, so it is not negligence on our part.

- Fargo, ND, USA

Aug 072013

Sonata 6-cyl

I was driving and within 15 minutes my Hyundai ripped through 2 tires. Luckily I figured something was up and was taking back roads when the second time it happened parts of the rubber from the tires were in the road. I had to have it towed and apparently the cradle sub frame was completely rusted apart causing the alignment and tire issues. I am in the salt belt states so it should be covered under the rust/corrosion recall 089. I understand it has many miles but it was running really well until this and should be covered in the recall.

- Holland, MI, USA

Jul 052013

Sonata 6-cyl

Was driving down the road and the wheel jerked hard to the right, pulled over and tire was turned in. Had to drive in reverse 2 miles back to my house. Had local shop fix and they said it is rusted bad underneath and replaced the right front a arm.

- Whitney Point, NY, USA

Apr 172013

Sonata 4-cyl

Hyundai wont pay for the tires that had to be replaces many times or a car to drive while mine was in the shop its their fault their lack of quality build of the car. The dealer is fixing the frame due to the recall no charge to me but I will have to pay for new tires and a car to drive till mine is fixed and to realine after I just feel that's unfair.. it all should be included on the recall.. I wont own one again.

- Charleston, WV, USA

May 292010

Sonata

I came to a complete stop after driving only 10mph, my engine cradle dropped down there for smashing through my front axel, and turning in both of my front wheels. Not realizing what happened I continued to drive to a repair shop. Both tires popped. I called a tow truck and paid an outrageous amount to get a tow to a repair shop. I was without a car for 2 weeks while they replied my vehicle which cost me almost $1,300. My insure company would not total out my vehicle because they said it was due to salt corrosion and rust (ware and tear). Did I mention I was on vacation when this happened? $$$. now my transmission is trouble shooting somehow (151,000 miles). It's having trouble switching gears and it hits pretty hard when it finally does. I have to turn the car off and turn it back on, sometimes this helps sometimes it does. My RPM shot up to 4 or 5 which burns gas like crazy. The rust on the rear wheel wells and bottom is unfixible. Steering wheel shakes really bad at speeds 60+. my rear struts are rusted and need replaced.

- Girard, OH, USA

Aug 012012

Sonata 6-cyl

I bought this used 2001 sonota from a local guy who rebuilds cars for resale. I understood that it came with a salvaged title. However, I was assured that the vehicle was safe to operate. Six weeks, 4,000 mi. Later I hit a pot whole on my street and damaged the steering. I took it to a local repair shop and discovered the R-side sub-frame was broken due to corrosion. Who is responsible for allowing a vehicle that has a possible R-side sub-frame recalled, to never get fixed and placed back on the road? fortunately, it broke at a low speed in front of my house.

- Leavenworth, KS, USA

Jan 202012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2001 Hyundai Sonata. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic for routine maintenance when the technician advised the contact that there was a hole corroded in the front sub frame. The technician also stated that the front sub frame would have to be replaced. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 09V124000 (suspension) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Great Falls, VA, USA

Jun 012011

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the subframe was severely rusted. The dealer and manufacturer were notified, the contact was informed that the VIN was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 09V124000 (suspension). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was 124,000. Updated 09/07/2011

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Dec 042009

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Hyundai Sonata. While driving he noticed that the passenger front tire was misaligned with the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a local repair facility for inspection. The mechanic concluded that the front sub frame was corroded, and that this condition could cause the lining to thin. He filed report number 3787345 with the manufacturer. He was advised by a representative that his vehicle identification number was excluded from recall #09V124000 (suspension). The vehicle was in the process of being repaired at an expense of $1,150,000.the vehicle identification number was unavailable. Updated 01/12/10. Updated 01/13/10.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Sep 292009

Sonata

Complete failure of brake system due to rust and corrosion of brake lines. The 2001 Hyundai Sonata lines came apart due to rust. Reported incident to Hyundai Consumer Affairs and was told it would be covered under recall notice dated: 4-14-09 id# 09V124000 action# EA08016, which included quality issues with cars suspension due to rust and corrosion. Was notified by dealer today that Hyundai was not covering the defective brake lines, because it was not specifically called out in the recall. Fortunately, my son and I were in a parking lot when the brake failure occurred, pedal went all the way to the floor and fluid leaked out of the brake line, which had rusted through. I'm not sure of the scope of this defective, but obviously had we been on the freeway this could have been a life or death experience. Thankfully god was watching over us. Please investigate similar brake failures on this vehicle. Also if there is anything that can be done to help us resolve this matter we Hyundai it would be greatly appreciated.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 282008

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Hyundai Sonata. The contact heard an abnormal noise near the rear of the vehicle. The dealer stated that the subframe had excessive corrosion and needed to be replaced at the cost of $800. Her state was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 09V124000 (suspension). The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 141,000. Updated 05/04/09 updated 05/04/09.

- Fort Thomas, KY, USA

Nov 242008

Sonata

Driving 2001 Sonata car was swaying on road when going on turns was not working with steering in timely manner. Had mechanic look at to see what was wrong. He found on passengers side of car the lower frame rusted from inside out where the lower control arm attaches and is now only semi attached so the assembly moves around. There is a huge hole in frame. Car is no longer safe to drive as whole assembly will fall off. As you can see car is only 7 years old. This is unacceptable car only has 111000. Miles on it. The car is in my driveway has not been taken apart all parts are original not sure what to do. Can't be driven as is. I noticed other complaints of same nature I don't consider this condition acceptable in a 7 year old car frames should last many more years.

- Pleasant Valley, NY, USA

Mar 012002

Sonata

A squeaking noise is coming from the rear of the vehicle. Now the noise has went from a squeaking to a roaring noise. The dealership is aware of the problem. Nlm

- Chicargo, IL, USA