2001 Hyundai Sonata wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Hyundai Sonata:

2001 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jan 102014

Sonata 6-cyl

While driving the car the wheel and assembly broke free from the frame of the car which was completely rusted and dropped the car to the ground pushed the wheel assembly wheel well. After researching the make and model their is a recall pertaining to this issue but only applies to the salt belt. My car was originally sold and operated in Virginia for 7 years. This issue with the sub frame is the exact same issue as the recall but due to the car not being titled in the salt belt, even though it was driven through the so called salt belt, Hyundai is saying it is not covered under the recall. I believe all cars that experience this issue should be covered under the warranty as it is a major safety issue. I was lucky I wasn't going fast as it could have jeopardized my life or anyone else's that was traveling on the road.

- Conway, SC, USA

Sep 212013

I was trying to avoid an accident, as I swerved the car fish tailed. The driver side rear tire hit the curb, at which point the tire actually buckled under the car. I had to have the car towed to a shop. When the mechanic looked at the car at first we believed we only needed the rear tire assembly. We then discovered there was extensive damage to the sub frame assembly. He told me the sub frame was rusted and rotted and he believe that was why there was so much damage. Then I was told by a friend there was a recall on the 2001 Hyundai Sonata sub frame. I later found out that it was the front sub frame. When reading the description of what was occurring in the recall of the front sub frame leads me to believe the same maybe occurring to the rear sub frame.

- Fall River, MA, USA

Aug 072013

Sonata 6-cyl

I was driving and within 15 minutes my Hyundai ripped through 2 tires. Luckily I figured something was up and was taking back roads when the second time it happened parts of the rubber from the tires were in the road. I had to have it towed and apparently the cradle sub frame was completely rusted apart causing the alignment and tire issues. I am in the salt belt states so it should be covered under the rust/corrosion recall 089. I understand it has many miles but it was running really well until this and should be covered in the recall.

- Holland, MI, USA

Apr 012010

Re- 2001 Hyundai Sonata I was on way to work going 93 North towards boston 1 exit away from work when I went over 3 small bumps on highway nothing out of the ordinary, yet my tires felt as if they were not stable I was only going 60 slowed down to 30 took off ramp 1 block away from work, then completely stopped at a cross street intersection to take a right. I proceeded then I flew forward in my car. My car stopped short for a second I thought I hit my shifter in neutral or reverse, that was not the case, I was in drive. Put car in park it made a searing ungodly sound I didn't know what was happening. I got out of my car just as two men came running over to help me. We noticed the tire completely against inside wheel frame. I just had a rim replaced not even 1 month ago and new brakes and tires yet I wasn't sure what this tire like that meant. I couldn't understand why I seem to be having to replace so many things, one right after another, however I was told after towing car to Firestone that my whole car undercarriage frame subframe is completely rotted and that the axle is snapped and may even have damaged transmission I called Hyundai to put a complaint in. They told me I have a recall on my car when they looked up my car by the VIN yet I was never notified. They seemed quite caring and empathic to my situation, yet the last question they asked me, blew me away. Christine the operator from Hyundai asked me one more question Ms. __ what do you plan to get out of this" are you kidding me" what a question, I asked if I should get a lawyer, and was it an voluntary or involuntary recall she said that Hyundai put this recall into effects after the company realized and found that they may have a defective corrosive situation, yet on the web they were obviously investigated first then did something about it. She said recalls started in July of 09 and are still being issued to date, she said she'd mail me a packet to fill out and send back -oh joy!! cant wait.

- Wilmlington, MA, USA