2003 Hyundai Sonata fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hyundai Sonata:

2003 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Sep 152011

Sonata 6-cyl Diesel

I was informed this model has a safety valve in the gas filler neck that will prevent the gas from leaking out should the vehicle overturn. My valve must be stuck in the partially open position since I can only fill the gas tank every one-third of a gallon before the gas dispenser shuts off. Then I have to wait 10 seconds for it to seep into the tank before I can continue to pump. Filling my 17 gal tank takes about 10-12 minutes with most of the time just waiting for the gas to seep into the tank. Hyundai wants over $600 to repair. Unacceptable since it appears to be a design flaw.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Nov 052010

Sonata 6-cyl

When trying to fuel vehicle the nozzle will click off at 1 or 2 gallons. I have to repeatedly take the nozzle out and keep trying to refuel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer in which they dropped the gas tank and did something. I picked the vehicle up and went to refuel and the same problem still exist. Just out of money. I see this is an on-going problem with this vehicle. There should be a recall.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Aug 152011

Fueling problems. On near empty fuel tank the fueling hose will auto shut off after 1 to 2 gallons. I have to repeat start the fueling and it automatically shuts off after entering a gallon or two. Have to gauge when tank is near full which can cause a fuel spill if overestimating and not being fill if underestimating. It seems to happen at pumps that have the newer nozzle. This is the first summer for this problem and it may be caused by the heat with the newer nozzles..

- Freeland, MD, USA

Jul 012011

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while refueling, fuel would spill out from the filler neck. The failure would occur even if the fuel tank was completely empty. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the fuel lines were too small to allow the fuel to enter the fuel tank. As a result, the fuel system would need to be rebuilt. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 92,000 and the current mileage was 94,000.

- Salisbury , MD, USA

May 012011

The contact owns a 2003 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that when attempting to refuel the vehicle, gasoline would spew back out from the filer neck and onto the ground. She was able to fuel small amounts at a given time however, it would take more than thirty minutes to fill the fuel tank to capacity. The vehicle was taken to the dealer in 2005 where they performed repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 04V178000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage:tank assembly) however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was advised of the failure and informed the contact to take the vehicle to the local dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not further repaired. The current and failure mileages were approximately 160,000.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Nov 152010

One day, while fueling my 2003 Hyundai Sonata, the pump clicked off after 1 gallon. From then on, it wouldn't let me fill more than 1 or 2 gallons without clicking off. Since that day, this problem occurs every time I refill and every time my tank is near empty or half empty, so I know that's not the issue.

- Bristol, PA, USA

Nov 112009

I own a 2003 Sonata the engine light came on, I have an emission leak the machine says. I need help has this happened to any one else. Also my gas problems, when putting gas in my car the gas cap clicks as if the tank was full when talking to local dealer all they want to do is quote prices!!!!!!!!! no explanation of why these thing are happening.

- Cocoa , FL, USA