2005 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Hyundai Sonata:

2005 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jul 182014

Sonata 7-cyl

While driving on the freeway the car started accelerating on its own. Tried pumping the gas pedal to release it, car still accelerated. Brakes did little good. Was able to down shift into first gear, then into neutral and utilizing the emergency brake was able to get the car slowed down enough to cut the engine. Some problem happened immediately when I turned the car back on trying to get it off the freeway off ramp. Was able to stop safely in a parking lot without hitting anything. Had the car towed to the dealership, where they said it was a problem with the throttle.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 142014

Sonata 6-cyl

While driving in a heavy rain the engine begin missing and slowing down. Because of the rain traffic was running at about 25 mph. The engine shut off and I drifted onto the shoulder of the highway (I 95). After a few attempts the engine restarted, but was still missing badly I could only get to approx. 20mph. Each time I stopped the engine would stop. Using the shoulder of the road we were able to make it home. The next morning I tried to start the car but it would not. I open the hood just to see if there was anything visibly wrong. I checked the air filter and find that it was full of water. With wet filter out and the water removed from the filter housing the car runs with out a problem. I can't locate where the air intake is to see if there is part missing etc. This is the fourth time this has happen. The dealers answer for this problem "don't drive in heavy rain".

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Jul 282013

Sonata 6-cyl

I have not owned my 2005 Hyundai Sonata for one year yet and is experiencing a confusing time with one set of the exterior lighting not working at all, the fuse were checked so I was told that it may be the switch, also the electrical system on the power doors always lock three out of the four doors. The check engine light goes on and off every other week the code says its a oxygen sensor. The lighting it restraining me form driving at night.

- Miami, FL, USA