1.3

2006 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 132013

Sonata 6-cyl

Casual driving just proceeding from a stop sign and suddenly ESC flashes and steering got stiff and brakes seemed to stutter and grinding sound without my pressing of brake. Had costly repair done at Hyundai dealer and exactly 12 months later same problem. The ESC seems to be an issue and does interrupt normal driving even if the ESC is off.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Sep 272013

Sonata

The ESC off light turned on by itself. When pushing the button for the ESC off, nothing happened. A few days later I noticed a minor stutter-step of the car's forward motion with a slight grinding noise, and the ESC off light was illuminated again. The ESC off light stayed illuminated. When I arrived at my destination, I shut the car off then turned it on again. The ESC light was no longer illuminated. August 27, 2014, I left my car at the dealership and proceeded to work, they "found damage to left-front wheel speed sensor and left-front tone wheel. They also stated both the speed sensor and left-front tone wheel need to be replaced before further diagnosis could be performed. August 30, 2014, I was traveling at approximately 40 M.P.H. when traffic ahead began slowing. I applied the brakes and the car didn't just stutter & grind, it was like one side of the vehicle wasn't braking at all and the other side was breaking hard. The car jerked side to side for a short distance then seemed to right itself. The ESC off light was now illuminated again. If I had been traveling any faster, or in heavier traffic, this certainly would have caused me to have an accident. I feel this is a design flaw, not an error on my part as the consumer, and believe this to be a life and death safety issue. My brakes have never been worked on and there's no logical reason for the speed sensor and left-front tone wheel to be damaged.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Jun 132014

Sonata 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway, going about 60 mph, and suddenly the ESC off light came on and I could not able to switch it off with ESC control button. Its quiet frequent now whenever car touches 60 mph and sometime it automatically comes within city driving 30-40 mph. I have taken my vehicle to wheel works for the checkup and they suggested to get it checked with dealer as it could be a sign of a bigger problem. I have also read several forums and come to know that many consumers are facing similar problem and it could be related to accelerator pedal or brake pedal. This is also known problem to Hyundai but they are not doing a recall for this known problem. Please help in assisting on this problem and your urgent action will be appreciated.

- Foster City, CA, USA

Jul 142014

Sonata 6-cyl

Over the course of a few days, the driver's air bag light started to be lit continuously while an occupant was in the seat. Initially, the light would come on and then go out after a few moments. However, after approximately a week of the on/off, the light then remained lit anytime the car was on. A few weeks later, the ESC off light began to light up while driving the car. The light would come on while the car was in motion and would not shut off/turn ESC on unless the car was stopped, turned off, and then back on. The issue has appeared sporadically, usually when associated with a turn. It has happened approximately 10 times thus far.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 072013

Sonata 4-cyl

ESC sensor would light up on and off. Took it to mechanic and they could not find problems with the vehicle. Reset the sensor. The ESC goes on and off all of the time. It will stay on for a month and then not be on for 2 months. This appears to be an ongoing issue from other boards that I have seen. This needs to be fixed.

- Crowley, TX, USA

Apr 022014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 35 mph, the electronic stability control and check engine warning indicators illuminated. Additionally, the vehicle's speed suddenly decelerated. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 127,000.

- Kinnebuck Port, ME, USA

May 022014

Sonata

I was at a stop light and zero speed notice my ABS and ESC light comes on time to time. And notice my lights go out from time to time in the back stop lights.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Feb 242014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled intermittently. The vehicle would also accelerate and decelerate independently. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 05V316000 (electronic stability control). The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who replaced the brake switch but the failure recurred. Additionally, the warning lights for the air bags, brakes, and battery were illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the electronic stability control module and the sensor box to the ESC would need replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact later noticed that the vehicle was smoking as it stalled. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 252013

Sonata 6-cyl

I turned the car on and the dashboard lights indicated all affected parts listed above went on. Drove the car for 3 miles and shut it off for 2 hours. Turned the car back on and had the same problem. I've read many owners with the same issue, but haven't seen a resolution this problem. This is a very serious issues god forbid the air bags don't eject in a accident. What do I do??

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Jul 102013

Sonata 6-cyl

Noticed a shimmy vibration louder than normal while driving to work on highway, upon exiting on main road heard very loud thump bang on left rear drivers side. I assumed it was a blow out as I couldn't steer the car (pulling to right) but managed to make into parking lot off the main. Upon inspection left rear tire still on car not flat, but on a total slant approx 45 degree. I was very glad to be off highway however still this is a major safety issue. After towing to garage, mechanic called me later and said the entire rear sub-frame rotted and broke from car needing to replace everything suspension sub-frame, including control arms, and would need an alignment, he also said that's why my tires wore down quicker than usual due to suspension issue. I didn't contact dealer since car no longer on warranty, after checking the internet for used parts (could not afford new parts as mechanic's estimate was already at the $1800 mark) was surprised to see the hundreds of complaints already posted with this same issue. I did repair the car with a total bill (used/recycled parts) for $1567. I still did not feel safe driving this car. Why would it take so long to have a recall...it is obvious this is a defect which could cause serious crash, fatality serious injury and should be covered by Hyundai for repair or full reimbursement.

- Fishkill, NY, USA

Jul 062013

Sonata

Earlier in the day when I was driving with my nephew and sister, the ESC light came on. The next time I drove it, the light did not come on and was not on at the time of this incident. I was driving in my neighborhood, turning a corner, when I heard a loud clunk from the driver rear side. I stopped and saw a large rusty metal piece had detached from the frame on that side and was dragging on the road, the wheel was tipped out wobbly. I knew it could not be driven. I called aaa and had it towed to a local garage. Due to holiday weekend, my husband saw the mechanic on Monday 7/8/13, who diagnosed it as a rear subframe corrosion and failure. He advised us to check for a recall as he was familiar with a prior front frame recall a few years ago. He had other repairs ahead of us, so we had it towed to our mechanic 15 miles away. When our mechanic got it on the lift we were told the damage was very severe: The rear end was rotted, needing removal/replacement of rear crossmember, 2 upper and 2 lower arms, L/R upper control arm and joint, with rear shocks and mounts, and alignment.we called Hyundai regional office, opened case # 5870260. The agent reported no recalls and this was not under warranty, but he stated he was "very familiar" with this type of problem in other years and models. He advised contacting the dealership, as they may be able to do something. (herb chambers of auburn, MA.) the service manager at the dealership advised us to have it towed to them at our expense (40mi.) his lack of empathy and telling us that Hyundai would take little or no responsibility for repairs, outside of a recall, prompted us to have our mechanic do the work. Repairs were done with Hyundai factory parts, ($2,640 including labor). We are convinced that the vehicle has a defect which could have caused a crash, serious injury, and/or death had it happened in any other circumstance.

- West Brookfield, MA, USA

Jun 242013

Sonata 6-cyl

My electronic stability control (ESC) and ABS lights come on while braking even after recall was corrected for the stop lamp switch. Brake lights do not illuminate consistently either.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 102012

Sonata 6-cyl

While turning corners the engine shuts down and unable to turn steering wheel. Restart car and it works again. Has happened numerous times. Airbag light has been on continuously. Brake lights replaced freq. Cruise control no longer works. ESC light comes on intermittently. Had to use shift lock release numerous times for 2 days at a time. I am unable to put the car into reverse or park and I have to use the shift lock release to move the gears. Heat and air conditioner stop working a few seconds at a time. Engine light comes on for a few days at a time. If I hit the brakes hard the ESC light will come on and do not go off for days. Cigarette lighters replaced and one still will not work. Head lights dim intermittently. I have brought back to dealership many times and have spent hundreds of dollars and time off work and problems return quickly.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Dec 222012

Sonata

Driving on highway from a family event doing 65 miles an hour. Experienced extreme instability. ESC light came on dashboard making us think problem was electronic. Continuing at a reduced speed, the car continued to dart to left. On a highway off ramp, the car darted toward the left hand guardrail, with rear tire squealing. We were still 50 miles from home. Limped the car home to bring to our mechanic. We took it to Firestone in ct. The mechanic put it on the lift and inspected it. Found it to have extensive corrosion on the subframe in the back end. We could of been killed. He told me not to drive the car until the problem was fixed.

- Portland, CT, USA

Feb 062012

Sonata

The ESC comes on everyday I start the car then it comes off when the car is turned off completely.

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Sep 032011

Sonata

Stop lamp switch was replaced under recall in Sept 09. Same part went again in approx July 2011. Charged for diagnostics and replacement of stop lamp switch 1429 ckr $79.95 and 1 93810-SK000 switch asm $6.60 for a total of $86.55. Dealer, motorworld of wilkes barre, pa indicated that I already had recall done so I would have to pay for this repair. I also own a 2011 Sonata and had to have the same part replaced two months ago (under warranty). Seems like there is still a problem with this part.

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

Sep 232010

Sonata

Lights across instrument cluster will not go off including: ESC off, check engine, airbags and ABS. There is also a visibility issue regarding the sun visor on the driver side. These are all issues that I have seen many other people are having as well and are potentially dangerous.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 112010

Sonata

I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3. I started my car one morning and had no acceleration in the gas peddle. I turned the car off got husband and we restarted it and had no problem. I then took a trip to houston a few weeks later and again had the problem happen to me a few times there. I did not know what to do and had to return home. I called the dealership in houston and they said it would be a minimum of $100 dollars or more to just see what was wrong. My husband said to bring it home and we will check on it. On my trip home the ESC off light kept coming on and I lost acceleration while in motion on interstate 10. This happened to me many of times on the return trip home. When it went out on me, several times I had to coast to the side of the road and 3 times nearly got hit in the rear and 1 time was seriously almost rammed in the rear while on the side of the road letting the car rest before restarting it. The most terrifying moment was going over the bridge in baton rouge, la. And the ESC off light kicked in and I lost acceleration and there was no side road to pull over on. I had to come to a complete stop to turn off the car and restart it 3 times before the ESC off light went off and I again had acceleration. Then about 20 miles outside of metairie, la. Where I was heading, it started sputtering. The rpms would go down and the car would pull back, then they would jump up and the car would jerk forward. I finally made it to my destination what is normally a 4 1/2 hr drive turned in to a very stressful and fearful 8 hr drive. I did look up on google about 2006 Sonata's and ESC off light and found many off people having the same problem. I am putting the car in the shop tomorrow morning. I read of a woman having this problem and her car accelerating on her and plunged into a tree. This sounds to me a serious matter and seems it is going to be extremely expensive to fix when it seems to be a manufactures defect and should be fixed by Hyundai.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Sep 012009

Sonata

At first it was the radio, turning on and off by itself when I would try to lower the volume it would be louder. My headlights would go out and turn on again, my emergency brake light will turn on as my car would stop in the middle of the street. Air bag deployment sign is on and the bag it is not deployed. The ABS, ESC and other glow lights will turn on; sometimes I cant roll down the windows or lock the car with the button. Now my car will not start, no power and it resets my clock. I have gone to the dealership twice and they are greedy money hungry !@#$% who do not care for their customers, I replaced the battery and the alternator and its been through diagnostics and the alternator was the only thing found wrong. I have issues with the car at least twice a day and three times its died completely. This is an 2006 Hyundai Sonata it should not give me these problems.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Aug 052009

Sonata

I received notification from my dealership that my rear disc brakes on my 2006 Hyundai Sonata needed to be replaced (pads, rotors). My car currently has 56K miles on it, and any car I've ever owned never need a rear brake job (pads only) before 100K miles. The front disc brake pads were just replaced in November, and during that visit the technicians stated that all brakes (after the job) were fine. Additional issues with car, repaired during recall: ESC light displayed on dashboard ABS light displayed on dashboard airbag light displayed on dashboard

- Lansing, IL, USA