1.3

2006 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 162016

Sonata

ESC light com's on randomly causing car to decelerate becomes hard to steer and car looses power. Have had various things done to car but it continues to happen randomly. Diagnostics from different mechanics indicate electrical problems am told care is unsafe to drive at 83,000 miles. This should be a recall2006 hyuandi Sonata

- Ocala, FL, USA

Oct 192016

Sonata

After a visit to my local dealership, I was informed that my ESC system - unit is in failure mode. Manufacturer informed of "defective problem" concerning their product. Consumer should not be responsible for costs related to replacement repair. $3000 > this is a serious safety hazard, in which Hyundai corporation should issue a "recall" of years 2006-2009, models that are in "failure mode" as per dealership today

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Oct 102016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the ESC warning indicator was constantly illuminating intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V316000 (electronic stability control). The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 121,000.

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Sep 062016

Sonata

I went to my car to get a blanket and noticed that my brake lights will not turn off and my ESC off light is on.

- Justice, IL, USA

Aug 312016

Sonata

The escoff and ABS lights illuminate once in a while. Intermittently, this problem also have the check engine light on. After over night or waiting for couple of hours and starting the vehicle it goes off.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Mar 302016

• 1,675,173 miles
After driving about 5 to 10 miles my ESC off censor comes on & does not go off by pushing ESC button, until I turn off vehicle.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 152014

Sonata

"ESC off" light is "on" and can't be reset. Hyundai has numerous complaints about this failure of a safety related system and doesn't seem interested in repairing what is a systemic deficiency. I think a recall is warranted.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Mar 112016

Sonata

2006 Sonata: The ESC ABS light comes on and pushing the on/off switch does not put it out. If I shut the car off and re start, the dash light goes out sometimes; may return the next time I start the car..

- Durham, NC, USA

Dec 012015

Sonata

Air bag light in instrument panel remains on at all times. ESC indicator turns off at random times while driving. Rear suspension knocks when fuel tank is low (I.e. near empty).

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 192015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at an unknown speed with the accelerator pedal depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the electronic stability control warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000. Updated 02/10/16

- Kenner, LA, USA

Sep 252015

Sonata

Car hesitate to start. Once on ESC off light is on and you can go any faster than 15mph. If you turn the car off and crank it again the light goes off but you can go pass 2500 remember or else it bucks and jerks and engine revs but you can't increase your speed. It has the same symptoms of recall for the 3.3 like engine, but Hyundai will not fix it because my engine is 2.4L. I just bought the car from Hyundai on April 25, 2015.

- Bernalillo, NM, USA

Sep 102015

Sonata

The ESC off indicator light goes on and off at start of vehicle. Hyundai needs to do a recall on this issue as I am not the only one having this problem. This is a very costly repair.

- Gallatin, TN, USA

Sep 072015

Sonata

The "ESC off" light on the dashboard display on my Hyundai Sonata 2006 model keeps coming up intermittently. I checked and did not find any open recalls on this. According to my research on the web this seems to be a common Hyundai issue / problem across different Hyundai models including Sonata, so I do not understand why Hyundai has not identified the root cause and issued a recall to fix this. Is there some other common resolution for this that need to be carried out by members of the public in the interim?

- Voorhees, NJ, USA

May 052011

Sonata

Ecs warning light along with check engine and ABS warning lights came on when turning key in ignition. This has happened twice since, with ESC and ABS warning lights coming on while driving.

- Middleton, WI, USA

Jun 252015

Sonata

I have been having the ABS/ESC light come on periodically but usually when I turn the car off and back on again the ABS/ESC light would go off. But now my check engine light is on as well as the ABS/ESC light. The check engine light stays on but the ABS/ESC light does not come on until I hit the brakes for the first time while driving. Hyundai Sonata 2006 3.3L V.6.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Mar 102015

Sonata

Under regular driving conditions the brake pedal would become so hard that they could not be pressed down, the speed would decline to 5 miles per hour and the car would start smoking. The ABS and ESC light would come and wouldn't go off until car is turned off. This S due to a faulty ABS hecu unit (hydraulic and electronic control unit) and the right front upper control arm. I contacted Hyundai who wouldn't pay the dealer to fix my 2006 Hyundai Sonata gls V6 with 65,263 miles. They advised that the isn't under warranty, however, the ABS hecu unit is faulty. This is a safety concern for myself and fellow drivers.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 092015

Sonata 6-cyl

On March 9th, 2015, I was driving home from work after picking up my infant daughter from daycare when several warning lights illuminated on the dashboard of my 2006 Hyundai Sonata; the airbag, ABS, and ESC off warning lights. In preparation for the upcoming left turn into my neighborhood, I tapped the brake pedal to disengage the cruise control and coast to the intersection. The cruise control did not disengage. I applied more pressure to the brake pedal to slow down, but upon releasing the brake the vehicle returned to the set cruise speed. I now applied as much pressure as I possibly could to the brake pedal and the cruise control set light did not disengage. The Sonata downshifted and revved up to 4K RPM attempting to overpower my braking. At this point it was too late to avoid the intersection. I placed the car into neutral and swerved to avoid hitting an oncoming vehicle and median, at the turn. The Sonata spun out and came to rest in the oncoming traffic lanes after overshooting the turn. I verified my daughter was uninjured then proceeded to drive the Sonata, at idle, the remaining 1/8th of a mile to my house. After arriving at home, I visited Hyundai's and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's vehicle recall information web pages and found no recalls regarding my Sonata's VIN.

- Reno, NV, USA

Nov 112014

Sonata 6-cyl

My vehicle lights for the ecs system, seat belt and airbag keeps illuminating. I took it to Hyundai here in jacksonville and was told that a diagnostic for $94, would need to be done to see why the ESC light is on. The air bag light will go off when the seat cushion is recalibrated but, something is wrong with my seat belts(both), so it will stay on and therefore the air bags will not deploy on impact, I pray that I don't get into any accidents till I find out what the problem is. Why aren't the seats belts part of the recall for the airbag system? they work inconjunction with each other.the ESC was suppose to have been fixed in 09 but here it is 2014 and the same thing is happening again, the same problem as before. I have to pull over turn the car off and wait a minute to restart it only to have the light come on again once I start to drive. What is wrong with this car, it is suppose to be safe.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 132014

Sonata 6-cyl

All of a sudden the ESC off light turned on my vehicle. Took it to the dealer for inspection and found that there is a problem with the G sensor and ESC module. Researched in the net and found that this issue was reported multiple times in the past for similar models. The cost of replacing the piece from out of pocket is outrages and need help in getting attention from the manufacturer to address this manufacturing defect.

- Madison, WI, USA

Sep 302014

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle skids of road and the ESC light came on. The light has been on since and its not going back. The back wells are making funny noise and vibrates at speed of over 50mph.

- Upper Malboro, MD, USA