2.3

hardy worth mentioning

2006 Hyundai Sonata electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 242013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the key failed to turn after being placed in the ignition. The vehicle was dealer where it was found that the solenoid had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage and VIN was unavailable.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 262013

Sonata

I was driving my sisters car and noticed the headlights would dim and then come back on after a second.. I went to a gas station to get gas and a gentleman pulled in next to me saying he turned around to let me know my lights flickered dull to bright. He said a friend had the same problem in their Sonata and had it to dealer many times and no fix. He said they traded for a Honda. My sister loves this car and its paid for, but if this is a problem, is there a recall?

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Dec 012010

Sonata

About 2-3 years ago, the air bag warning light on the console began to illuminate and turn off intermittently without apparent cause or pattern, until it reached a point of staying on all the time. To me, this indicates an electrical problem. I have not had this problem diagnosed specifically, although at one point, my mechanic mentioned off hand that I had a broken seat belt, but, after I looked them over myself, all seat belts functioned perfectly fine, so I did not replace any of them. This may be the cause of the warning light, however, research has shown that this warning light may be on for any number of reasons, and most cases involve expensive and unreliable repairs, and the problem re-occurs without reason. Because of this, I have elected not to pay to have it "fixed." It has not been a problem until this year, when my car only barely passed inspection (prior inspectors have apparently never had a problem with it). Reading further, I am even less inclined to fix it - spending $1500 on a repair that has reports of re-occurrence on a 7-year-old vehicle seems silly. However, I'm lodging the complaint here anyway. I have not attempted to get a dealership or manufacturer to diagnose or fix the problem.

- Norton, MA, USA

May 122012

Sonata

On two occasions, while driving in the rain, the battery light turns on, the steering wheel locks and the car stalls. Once I stop and turn the car off and back on, it runs as normal. On three other occasions, the battery light will come on for a couple of minutes, steering wheel locks, but car still drives, then the seatbelt light flashes on for May 20 seconds, then all lights go off and the car drives back to normal. I have taken my car to the Hyundai dealership on two occasions and they are unable to "duplicate" the problem, so no fix can be performed.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Oct 102012

Sonata

Two weeks ago I had to replace the power window operator on rear passenger side door. Today the power window on the rear passenger side window is not working and needs replacement. The bad solenoids on three door locks were replaced. Both sun visors on the car were replaced due to malfunction. The cover on automatic car seat operators keeps on falling down. The cassette player in the car was replaced due to bad design of the original player.

- Azusa, CA, USA

May 072012

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle was hard to start and once started, it was resistant to be turned off. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that a fuse in the junction box within the steering wheel had blown and needed to be replaced. The dealer could not replace the failed fuse and had to replace the entire junction box. The manufacturer advised the contact that the junction box was not under warranty and provided no assistance. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 85,000. Updated 10/11/12 updated 10/15/2012

- Arundel, ME, USA

Jul 112012

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated the steering wheel became very difficult to steer while turning right. The contact stated that the failure occurred twice. The contact spoke with the dealer and was informed that water got onto the steering belt and caused the failure. The contact felt that there was more of an issue because they were unable to shift the vehicle out of drive and into park when they attempted to park. The failure and current mileages were 25,651... updated 08/15/12 the consumer stated the battery light illuminated as well. Updated 08/21/12

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Apr 022012

Sonata

Ignition key does not turn at all. Steering did not lock up initially, but when I tried to turn the key along with steering, it got locked....even after that steering would move a bit (not really stalled). Called aaa, couple of guys came over, tried to unlock the ignition by putting it in neutral and moving(shift override), but of no help. Called one of my friend who has a Hyundai Sonata as well, he said it happens often on his car...he tried for 10-15 mins...got the magical combination of brake, steering and ignition key turns and it finally worked. Did a search on internet and apparently its not uncommon for Hyundai's at all. Hate to spend money for a design flaw from the manufacturer, especially as the car is only 5-6 years old.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 312011

Sonata 4-cyl

Headlights dim momentarily, radio goes off momentarily, passenger seat side kick panel relay goes "ticking" momentarily, car jerks momentarily when gas pedal is applied and gear is changed from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 when I just start my journey (I.e. just start the engine and start driving, usually). If gas pedal is released while any or all of these are happening, ABS, brake and esc warning lights come on and stay on the dashboard. These warning lights remain on till the next time I start a new journey and will only go off if the problems mentioned above don't happen as the gear changes from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3. I've been to a Hyundai dealer countless number of times. Alternator and battery has been replaced. Ground wires have been checked. They have no clue what is wrong with the electrical system. Please fix this. It has been a known problem and still is creating problems for Hyundai Sonata owners.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Aug 102011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the anti-theft system activated and would prevents her from turning on the ignition or opening the doors with the automatic key fob. The contact stated that the failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure, who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage 102,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 182012

Sonata 6-cyl

My car is a 2006 Hyundai Sonata and last night my cars' headlights dim or shut off momentarily, the fan speed seems to drop for a second also but never shuts completely off. I noticed last night my tachometer would only go to a 1 at the lowest. It would go higher as I drove but never back down towards a 0 or 1. you could feel the harsh vibration as I sat at a stoplight while it rested at 1. I also noticed that it feels like the trans is slipping or something as I take off or try to turn. This is the first time I have ever experienced this with this car. This is extremely dangerous!! what if the gas pedal sticks or the lights go out while driving"?" I have 2 small children and you bet I would sue or my family would on my behalf if anything happened to us as a result of Hyundai not issuing some kind of recall. Please address this issue asap as to avoid any future problems that could have been corrected by a simple recall.

- Manhattan, IL, USA

Apr 252011

Sonata 6-cyl

During operation of the vehicle, when vehicle engine speed drops to approximately 1000 - 1100 RPM, headlights will dim or briefly shut off, radio will shut off, and interior fan speed will drop. This happens for approximately 1 second and is intermittent. From searches of the internet, this appears to be a common problem requiring replacement of the positive battery cable assembly. I do not understand why this has not been handled via a recall, especially since headlights dimming off or shutting off during night driving is extremely dangerous. This has happened on multiple occasions to this car. In addition, probably due to this voltage drop problem, several headlights, brake lights etc., have had to be replaced. This has already cost me several hundred dollars in troubleshooting and repair, prior to learning about the cable assembly.

- Evans, GA, USA

Dec 012010

Sonata 6-cyl

Electrical system outage including interior and exterior dimming lights, radio turns off/on, ac shuts off/on, dashboard lights come on and eventually turn on (engine, ABS lights, etc...). this occurs every time I drive my car, 4-5 times in a 10-15 minute drive. Usually happens at lower speeds, when decelerating/accelerating, but not consistently. Air bag light has been on for last 3 months. Air bag light issues couple yrs ago and took to dealer for recall issue, attributed to a sensor issue, which seemed to fix it until recently. Had alternator replaced 3 months ago, without improvement. 3 mechanics unable to identify cause. Very frustrated! otherwise car has done well. This should be recalled and fixed, as I've noticed many other similar complaints.

- Hilton Head, SC, USA

Aug 192011

Sonata 6-cyl

While driving my 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6 the battery light came on and the steering wheel malfunctioned ( the steering wheel locked). This happen when my son was driving as well. This is not the first Hyundai Sonata that this incident has happen. I have checked a Hyundai forumwebsite only to discover that this is not unusual with Hyundai. However, I was fortune, I was strong enough to manage the car off the to the sideof the road.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Jan 202011

Sonata

When the brake was applied or excel pedal was not applied, all electricity function(radio, A/C, and headlight) went down for a second and came back again. It started happen when the vehicle marked over 100,000 miles and occurred frequently during driving. Even after changing battery and alternator which dealer pointed as reasons of the problem through whole electricity check-up, it happened again and again. The dealer couldn't point out the reason. I appear this problem here for serious potential accident possibility.

- Gainesville , FL, USA

Sep 012010

Sonata

Air bag light on dash is illuminated and won't turn off.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Nov 042010

Sonata

2006 Sonata has an intermittent electrical problem. These problems manifest themselves usually when the gas is not being applied. The headlights will dim or go off and then come back on; the radio sometimes will go off and then come back on; the A/C fan periodically sounds as if it has turned off and then comes back on; several times I noticed the parking brake/low brake fluid, (rarely high beam), esc light and ABS light come on when the radio and lights and ac turned off and then came back on. At times these outages will occur when the turn signal is used. All these happenings have been reported to the Hyundai service department but they say they cant get it to repeat the symptoms or find a problem and the computer does not show a code indicating any problem.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Jan 012011

Sonata

Dash board air bag light came on and remained on. Took to a mechanic who stated it was an error code that was not longer active. A sensor must have set it off, but there was no longer a problem. A few weeks later airbag light came on again. Took vehicle to Hyundai dealership who stated occupant classification system (ocs) or sensor that was part of system registered an error at some point in the past few days and that is why the light went on. They stated there was no longer an error, but that the sensor must be going bad and would need to be replaced before it failed. Reason being, once the sensor failed, the air bags (at least passenger air bag, potentially whole system shut off so driver as well?) wouldn't deploy in the case of an accident because system would shut off as a result of a sensor failure. Dealership stated that sensor could not be replaced individually, but that the whole passenger seat cushion would have to be replaced. The sensor is part of the ocs system. The quoted cost for the part (seat cushion with electronic sensing system) would be around $1500 total ($1350 for the part, $150 for the labor). As of now air bag light not on, sensor hasn't failed yet. Once it does, need to replace if want air bag system to deploy. This seems like a very serious safety issue that should be addressed by a recall. I have read hundreds of customer complaints online that have the 2006 Hyundai Sonata with this problem and haven't had it fixed. As a result there are a lot of people driving around in a vehicle that some if not all of the air bags won't deploy in (and most if not all of them don't realize it disables the air bag). This design flaw could result in serious injury or death. All information I received in regards to airbag light issue was from the service department at a Hyundai dealership. This issue needs to be investigated and a recall needs to be issued.

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA

Nov 052009

Sonata

2006 Sonata now has an intermittent electrical problem. These problems manifest themselves usually when the gas is not being applied, but not necessarily when the brakes are being applied. The headlights will go off and then come back on; the radio sometimes will go off and then come back on; the A/C fan sometimes sounds as if it has turned off and then comes back on; several times I noticed the esc light and ABS light come on when the radio and lights and ac turned off and then came back on. At times these outages will occur when the turn signal is used. All these happenings have been reported to the Hyundai service department but they say they can't get it to repeat the symptoms or find a problem.

- Orrville, OH, USA

Sep 012010

Sonata

During cold starts battery & seat belt lights come on. Also, power steering seems to not work. This happened several times. The alternator & battery were replaced, but did not correct the problem. Dampener pulley replaced & corrected the problem.

- Hudson, OH, USA