2.2

2006 Hyundai Sonata electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 062013

Sonata

Under normal driving, vehicle suddenly sputtered a bit and then the check engine light and electronic stability control light came on. The car then would barely move over 15-20 mph. We found out that these are the classic symptoms of a tps issue, for which Hyundai issued tsb 10-fl-010. We have had the vehicle at the dealership for all of the recommended repairs from that tsb twice with no resolution to the problem. My concern is that this problem occurs randomly and without warning. At least twice it has occurred on the interstate, and I felt we were lucky to get off to the side without another car running into us. I am extremely worried that the next time this happens we won't be as fortunate, and someone can be seriously hurt. This is also a very common issue with Hyundai. Frankly, I would not be surprised if someone has already been hurt because of this. I am also surprised Hyundai has not issued a recall or found a better solution to this problem. I believe this is a very serious problem and urgent safety issue. In fact, we would like to get rid of the car, but we cannot afford to buy another car, nor am I too keen on inflicting this problem on some other unsuspecting person thinking they are buying a good, reliable car. Please try to pressure Hyundai to come up with a better solution.

- Indian Land, SC, USA

Feb 132014

Sonata

Head lights dims, flickers, dashboard lights dims, radio shut off when slowing speed, sometimes brakes light come on.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 012012

Sonata

First of all the time and mileage are approximate. We experienced difficulty in turning off the parking/dashboard lights in our 2006 Hyundai Sonata. Flicking the stalk back and forth a few times would eventually turn them off. I asked my mechanic and called 2 local Hyundai dealers and all agreed the only solution is to replace the entire fuse/relay box. After consulting a few Hyundai forums I learned that this was a problem affecting some 2006 and 2007 hyundias and that owners were paying between $700 to $1200 to replace the faulty part. Many owners are upset that Hyundai does not issue a recall. On Monday, January 27, 2014 the stalk stopped working. A call to Hyundai North America not only resulted in no help in finding out which fuse would disable the lights but also assured me that Hyundai seems to expect the life of such parts to last just past the warranty expiration date. I decided to pull out the relay located under the dashboard which turned off the lights (among other things). The next day when my wife left work after inserting the relay back in, she couldn't get out of first gear and slowly things started to stop working such as the heated seat and the rear defogger. Once home, I disconnected the battery, waited a few minutes, reconnected the battery and road-tested the car. Everything worked normal; however, this is the only way to turn off the lights. On Sunday, February 2, 2014 I bought a battery quick-disconnect and wired the other end to the existing Hyundai positive battery cable. Now, while we wait weeks (possibly months) to have the money to get this part replaced, my wife will have to leave work and in a dark parking lot, reconnect the battery using this quick-disconnect tool. While the car sits at home and at her place of employment, it remains unlocked with no alarm, I can provide digital pictures of this along with other complaints about the car.

- Easton, PA, USA

Dec 012013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags). After the recall repair was performed, all of the instrument panel warning lights illuminated and the reading of the gauges fluctuated erratically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000.

- El Mirage, AZ, USA

Dec 022013

Sonata 4-cyl

I only put 2 items but I have other campaigns in with same care but im driving the car and I loose power in car to everything like it was shut off at key then goes back on does it like 2 or 3 times a week I almost hit another car due to no power to brakes then car just goes right back on without touching anything other problems never heard back is the issue with a known problem with the gas tank leak due to the metal on top rusting and cracks plastic tank cause service engine light to stay on then the front suspension clunking since I bought it 2 yrs ago but dealership cant find nothing its the upper control arm my airbag light in driver cluster was on when I bought it dealer said they fixed it same day I bought it went for state inspect wouldn't pass the fuse was pulled so light stays off this car is a lemon they should repair or buy it back I put more in car in 2 years than what I paid for it so far and still needs more work.

- Coventry, RI, USA

Dec 012013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the headlights became extremely dim and limited the contact's visibility. The failure recurred whenever the headlights were activated. In addition, the heater and air conditioner fan failed to operate due to a short circuit. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- North Fort Myers, FL, USA

Nov 302011

Sonata 6-cyl

The dummy airbag light in my 2006 Sonata has been on for a few years. The last time I brought it in to service, in July 2012- I was told that my passenger seat may need to be sent out, but that I would also need 2 new seat belts. I was told the air bags wouldn't deploy if I was in an accident.the mechanic was able to turn the dummy light off but only for a day or two. This November 2013, the seat was sent out to ca under a recall notice I was sent by Hyundai, and I paid to have my seat belts replaced, but I feel the whole thing is related and should have been a recall. Everyone I have spoken to about it feels the same way. The seat belt replacement cost $350 per seat excluding tax. Hyundai has known of this problem (through my dealer) since July 2012 and the problem had been ongoing for months prior to me taking it in for servicing, not realizing it was a dangerous situation. I missed the 5 year 60K warranty probably by 10K miles or less. I would like to know how many other Sonata owners have had to replace their seat belts and whether or not we should be suing Hyundai to have them cover this "repair". I could get no statistics from Hyundai when I called them regarding how many people have complained about this problem. The explanation provided to me is that they are separate problems, not inter-related and that the seat belt issue is an electrical issue and the service center was given a code to diagnose the issue.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Jul 242013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the key failed to turn after being placed in the ignition. The vehicle was dealer where it was found that the solenoid had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage and VIN was unavailable.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 262013

Sonata

I was driving my sisters car and noticed the headlights would dim and then come back on after a second.. I went to a gas station to get gas and a gentleman pulled in next to me saying he turned around to let me know my lights flickered dull to bright. He said a friend had the same problem in their Sonata and had it to dealer many times and no fix. He said they traded for a Honda. My sister loves this car and its paid for, but if this is a problem, is there a recall?

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Dec 012010

Sonata

About 2-3 years ago, the air bag warning light on the console began to illuminate and turn off intermittently without apparent cause or pattern, until it reached a point of staying on all the time. To me, this indicates an electrical problem. I have not had this problem diagnosed specifically, although at one point, my mechanic mentioned off hand that I had a broken seat belt, but, after I looked them over myself, all seat belts functioned perfectly fine, so I did not replace any of them. This may be the cause of the warning light, however, research has shown that this warning light may be on for any number of reasons, and most cases involve expensive and unreliable repairs, and the problem re-occurs without reason. Because of this, I have elected not to pay to have it "fixed." It has not been a problem until this year, when my car only barely passed inspection (prior inspectors have apparently never had a problem with it). Reading further, I am even less inclined to fix it - spending $1500 on a repair that has reports of re-occurrence on a 7-year-old vehicle seems silly. However, I'm lodging the complaint here anyway. I have not attempted to get a dealership or manufacturer to diagnose or fix the problem.

- Norton, MA, USA

May 122012

Sonata

On two occasions, while driving in the rain, the battery light turns on, the steering wheel locks and the car stalls. Once I stop and turn the car off and back on, it runs as normal. On three other occasions, the battery light will come on for a couple of minutes, steering wheel locks, but car still drives, then the seatbelt light flashes on for May 20 seconds, then all lights go off and the car drives back to normal. I have taken my car to the Hyundai dealership on two occasions and they are unable to "duplicate" the problem, so no fix can be performed.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Oct 102012

Sonata

Two weeks ago I had to replace the power window operator on rear passenger side door. Today the power window on the rear passenger side window is not working and needs replacement. The bad solenoids on three door locks were replaced. Both sun visors on the car were replaced due to malfunction. The cover on automatic car seat operators keeps on falling down. The cassette player in the car was replaced due to bad design of the original player.

- Azusa, CA, USA

May 072012

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle was hard to start and once started, it was resistant to be turned off. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that a fuse in the junction box within the steering wheel had blown and needed to be replaced. The dealer could not replace the failed fuse and had to replace the entire junction box. The manufacturer advised the contact that the junction box was not under warranty and provided no assistance. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 85,000. Updated 10/11/12 updated 10/15/2012

- Arundel, ME, USA

Jul 112012

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated the steering wheel became very difficult to steer while turning right. The contact stated that the failure occurred twice. The contact spoke with the dealer and was informed that water got onto the steering belt and caused the failure. The contact felt that there was more of an issue because they were unable to shift the vehicle out of drive and into park when they attempted to park. The failure and current mileages were 25,651... updated 08/15/12 the consumer stated the battery light illuminated as well. Updated 08/21/12

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Apr 022012

Sonata

Ignition key does not turn at all. Steering did not lock up initially, but when I tried to turn the key along with steering, it got locked....even after that steering would move a bit (not really stalled). Called aaa, couple of guys came over, tried to unlock the ignition by putting it in neutral and moving(shift override), but of no help. Called one of my friend who has a Hyundai Sonata as well, he said it happens often on his car...he tried for 10-15 mins...got the magical combination of brake, steering and ignition key turns and it finally worked. Did a search on internet and apparently its not uncommon for Hyundai's at all. Hate to spend money for a design flaw from the manufacturer, especially as the car is only 5-6 years old.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 312011

Sonata 4-cyl

Headlights dim momentarily, radio goes off momentarily, passenger seat side kick panel relay goes "ticking" momentarily, car jerks momentarily when gas pedal is applied and gear is changed from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 when I just start my journey (I.e. just start the engine and start driving, usually). If gas pedal is released while any or all of these are happening, ABS, brake and esc warning lights come on and stay on the dashboard. These warning lights remain on till the next time I start a new journey and will only go off if the problems mentioned above don't happen as the gear changes from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3. I've been to a Hyundai dealer countless number of times. Alternator and battery has been replaced. Ground wires have been checked. They have no clue what is wrong with the electrical system. Please fix this. It has been a known problem and still is creating problems for Hyundai Sonata owners.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Aug 102011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the anti-theft system activated and would prevents her from turning on the ignition or opening the doors with the automatic key fob. The contact stated that the failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure, who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage 102,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 182012

Sonata 6-cyl

My car is a 2006 Hyundai Sonata and last night my cars' headlights dim or shut off momentarily, the fan speed seems to drop for a second also but never shuts completely off. I noticed last night my tachometer would only go to a 1 at the lowest. It would go higher as I drove but never back down towards a 0 or 1. you could feel the harsh vibration as I sat at a stoplight while it rested at 1. I also noticed that it feels like the trans is slipping or something as I take off or try to turn. This is the first time I have ever experienced this with this car. This is extremely dangerous!! what if the gas pedal sticks or the lights go out while driving"?" I have 2 small children and you bet I would sue or my family would on my behalf if anything happened to us as a result of Hyundai not issuing some kind of recall. Please address this issue asap as to avoid any future problems that could have been corrected by a simple recall.

- Manhattan, IL, USA

Apr 252011

Sonata 6-cyl

During operation of the vehicle, when vehicle engine speed drops to approximately 1000 - 1100 RPM, headlights will dim or briefly shut off, radio will shut off, and interior fan speed will drop. This happens for approximately 1 second and is intermittent. From searches of the internet, this appears to be a common problem requiring replacement of the positive battery cable assembly. I do not understand why this has not been handled via a recall, especially since headlights dimming off or shutting off during night driving is extremely dangerous. This has happened on multiple occasions to this car. In addition, probably due to this voltage drop problem, several headlights, brake lights etc., have had to be replaced. This has already cost me several hundred dollars in troubleshooting and repair, prior to learning about the cable assembly.

- Evans, GA, USA

Dec 012010

Sonata 6-cyl

Electrical system outage including interior and exterior dimming lights, radio turns off/on, ac shuts off/on, dashboard lights come on and eventually turn on (engine, ABS lights, etc...). this occurs every time I drive my car, 4-5 times in a 10-15 minute drive. Usually happens at lower speeds, when decelerating/accelerating, but not consistently. Air bag light has been on for last 3 months. Air bag light issues couple yrs ago and took to dealer for recall issue, attributed to a sensor issue, which seemed to fix it until recently. Had alternator replaced 3 months ago, without improvement. 3 mechanics unable to identify cause. Very frustrated! otherwise car has done well. This should be recalled and fixed, as I've noticed many other similar complaints.

- Hilton Head, SC, USA