2006 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 302014

The system warning lamps illuminated, then the engine shut off and would not restart. Evaluation showed that the alternator had failed and was covered with engine oil which had leaked from the front valve cover gasket onto the alternator. This failure is the same as NHTSA campaign number 14V415000, which covers another Hyundai vehicle.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Apr 022014

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 35 mph, the electronic stability control and check engine warning indicators illuminated. Additionally, the vehicle's speed suddenly decelerated. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 127,000.

- Kinnebuck Port, ME, USA

Jun 192013

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the harmonic balancer detached while driving on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 95,597.

- Goshen, OH, USA

May 112014

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The failure occurred numerous times. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who replaced the ignition switch. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,116. Updated 8/12/14 updated 08/22/2014

- Sandy Springs, GA, USA

May 062013

Under normal driving, vehicle suddenly sputtered a bit and then the check engine light and electronic stability control light came on. The car then would barely move over 15-20 mph. We found out that these are the classic symptoms of a tps issue, for which Hyundai issued tsb 10-fl-010. We have had the vehicle at the dealership for all of the recommended repairs from that tsb twice with no resolution to the problem. My concern is that this problem occurs randomly and without warning. At least twice it has occurred on the interstate, and I felt we were lucky to get off to the side without another car running into us. I am extremely worried that the next time this happens we won't be as fortunate, and someone can be seriously hurt. This is also a very common issue with Hyundai. Frankly, I would not be surprised if someone has already been hurt because of this. I am also surprised Hyundai has not issued a recall or found a better solution to this problem. I believe this is a very serious problem and urgent safety issue. In fact, we would like to get rid of the car, but we cannot afford to buy another car, nor am I too keen on inflicting this problem on some other unsuspecting person thinking they are buying a good, reliable car. Please try to pressure Hyundai to come up with a better solution.

- Indian Land, SC, USA

Mar 262014

My 2006 Hyundai Sonata has the check engine and ESC lights come on, then the car wont accelerate as well as the rpms will not move. The car coasts like its in neutral. And today was the last straw when it decided to do it while going down the road instead of just when beginning the drive.

- Paxtang, PA, USA

Mar 242014

Sonata 6-cyl

Oil pan rusting out. A lot of engine motor oil seeping out of entire oil pan. Professional mechanic states this is not normal wear and tear at this low mileage. Eventually oil will leak out causing engine to seize and fail.

- Litchfield, ME, USA

Dec 022013

Sonata 4-cyl

I only put 2 items but I have other campaigns in with same care but im driving the car and I loose power in car to everything like it was shut off at key then goes back on does it like 2 or 3 times a week I almost hit another car due to no power to brakes then car just goes right back on without touching anything other problems never heard back is the issue with a known problem with the gas tank leak due to the metal on top rusting and cracks plastic tank cause service engine light to stay on then the front suspension clunking since I bought it 2 yrs ago but dealership cant find nothing its the upper control arm my airbag light in driver cluster was on when I bought it dealer said they fixed it same day I bought it went for state inspect wouldn't pass the fuse was pulled so light stays off this car is a lemon they should repair or buy it back I put more in car in 2 years than what I paid for it so far and still needs more work.

- Coventry, RI, USA

Nov 132013

Sonata 6-cyl

This vehicle was taken to the authorized service center of Hyundai on October 29,2013 for the safety recalls received from Hyundai motor America (NHTSA campaign number 13V-354 and failure of OCS recall by NHTSA).since the service personnel insisted to do 70,000 mile service I agreed and after 1 hour he called me and said there is a leak in the radiator hose. This car has always been serviced by authorized Hyundai service centers and always had persistent problems like oil leaks (changed gaskets (paid$400), power steering leaks (paid $300), brake rotors problems which I had to pay $1300 to replace at 30,000 miles etc etc.this car comes with 10 year/100,000 bumper to bumper warranty that is fake.I had also paid ($1200) for an extended coverage for this vehicle when I bought this brand new. But Hyundai did not honor it since it was a dealer package and that dealer no more exist. On October 29,2013 after the recall service I paid $400 since the service manager said he did all that is urgent for this car. Next day morning I found my car in a pool of multiple fluids.I decided to take it back to the Hyundai dealer, but on the way the car was engulfed in smoke. I pulled over to the gas station which had a work shop, found that no coolant in the car. They filled the coolant and put a new clamp on the hose which was loose. I made a complaint to the Hyundai motor America after 2 days. Case number is 6156086. Since then I escalated the case calling them several times, but no reasonable effort from there side to help me. On November 13, the car again burned and got engulfed in huge smoke when my wife was parking in the drive way after returning from work. (I have the video on my cell phone). Again I called Hyundai America and they told me to contact the dealer. I called the dealer (Hyundai of paramus) and they said the service manager will call back. But never did.

- Bergenfield, NJ, USA

Feb 192013

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, he heard a loud squeaky noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the harmonic balancer was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 62,593.

- Long Island, NY, USA