2006 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 10 of 16)

Sep 192011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag light and the seat belt light would illuminate on the instrument panel only when the passenger seat was occupied. The air bag light and seat belt would not illuminate when the seat was empty. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the air bag sensor and seat belt sensors needed to be replaced. The dealer also informed the contact that the components would possibly fail again due to a defect with the sensor. The failure mileage was 102,000 and the current mileage was 112,000.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Feb 062012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated and remained illuminated. The dealer advised the contact to replace the entire front passenger seat because the air bag sensor was faulty. The manufacturer had not been notified of the failure. The vehilce was awaiting repair. The failure mileage was 83,000 and the current mileage was 86,000.

- Poinciana, FL, USA

Aug 092011

Sonata 4-cyl

Airbag light remained on took it to the dealer 2 years ago (estimate), they reset the sensor and fiddled with the cable under the seat. In August of 2011 the light came back on and remained on. Took it it the dealer who scanned the codes which read "B1701" and "B1706" airbag resistance too high from the seat buckles. The dealer replaced the driver and passenger buckle at my cost. Mileage 62,966 there seems to be a high incidence of this occurring and should be investigated. See also: www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2006/Hyundai/Sonata/10315909 www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/hyundai_airbags.html

- Coventry , RI, USA

Jan 262012

Sonata 4-cyl

The passenger seat air bag failed and the air bag light came on the dashboard. This problem happened on 1/26/2012 and happened on a replaced seat, as this same problem happened on 10/10/2009 and was reported in a previous complaint then. The ODI id number is 10289803. The first instance was not helped by Hyundai, as I replaced the seat at my expense; not knowing there was a recall (and not having been notified by Hyundai) I am taking this vehicle to red hoagland Hyundai dealer in winter haven, fl. This coming Tuesday, 1/31/2012 to see what recourse will happen and will advise NHTSA. The consumer stated after having the vehicle repaired on 01/31/12, the air bag light illuminated again, after 150 miles. Updated IVOQ 02/23/12.

- Sebring, FL, USA

Sep 172007

Sonata 6-cyl

I purchased a Hyundai Sonata in 2006. The front passenger airbag light has been a huge problem from the year I got it and still is. It stays on all of the time. The dealer reset it a few times and then in Sep 2008 they put in a new seat buckle. Once again the airbag light is on. It will not pass inspection. The dealer wants $125 for the diagnostic (code is active B1706) and said a new buckle is needed, which is another $179 plus labor. So every year I am going to have to drop over $300 for the light to be turned off so it passes inspection. This is a scam. The concern is well documented with the dealer since the day I got the car. Now they wonżżT cover it and the light stays on after about 2 days from being reset. So every year when the inspection is due, I have to put out the money out for a new buckle again. I have never had an accident, I have no little kids or car seat in use, and I have never had the airbag go off. No idea how a seat belt buckles dies on its own and annually, too! there is a recall out there but it has to do with the light going on when kids that do not weigh enough to toggle the airbag light off, so the light stays on. That recalls # is08V161000. Many folks online and in forums are reporting the same airbag problem. I think a recall should be issued for this concern as it keeps duplicating over and over and over. Right now, I am paying for Firestone to do replace the buckle and for the diagnostic because they warranty it for 18 months and the dealer will only do it for 12. I need a new inspection sticker. Richmond, va.

- Chester, VA, USA

Apr 012010

Sonata 6-cyl

The air bag light stays on..the dealer says it's the sensor under the passenger seat which is a $1,400 repair. When you sit in the passenger seat the airbag warning goes on and off but the light on the dash stays on all the time. A recall was issued for this problem. The recall number is 08V161000. I went to the dealer and they said my car was not part of the recall. I called Hyundai and they told me only cars built in may and June of 2006 would be honored for the recall. My car was built in July 2006 (according to Hyundai corporate office). Why would they only recall cars built in may and June" obviously they did not know the problem existed during the production of my car? what makes my car seat parts different from those produced in may and June? I asked if they had part numbers that were in the recall and if they changed design in July" they could not or would not answer me. My bet is they issued the recall to satisfy a few if any and turn-down all others to save money since this is a costly repair. From what I understand the seat has to be removed and sent out to be calibrated (cost estimate $1,400). The bottom line is my air bags will not deploy if the light is on and Hyundai has a long long history of air bag issues. What can I do to get them to honor my car in the recall? if I were involved in a collision my airbags would not deploy which could cause serious injury.

- Laplata , MD, USA

Mar 302011

Sonata 4-cyl

I bought a used car at tarbox and the car at 60 was feeling like it was skipping then airbag light went on and off brought it back and dealer reset it and skipping stopped light stayed off then the skipping came back I was checking the fuse box airbag fuse was removed so I replaced with the extra fuse right size and light stays on but dealer says now over warranty but I told them I reported before this and fuse was removed is there a recall that was or wasn't done on this car.

- Exeter, RI, USA

Dec 302011

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact started the ignition and the air bag warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The indicator remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. In 2006, the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 08V161000 (air bags); however at that time, the contact did not experience a malfunction. Recently, the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who informed the contact that the failure was related to the recall. In addition, the dealer advised that the passenger seat and air bag sensor would need to be replaced for the second time. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 71,500. Updated 02/09/12 updated 02/24/12

- Charleston , SC, USA

Jun 012011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 99,000.

- Exeter, RI, USA

Nov 142007

Sonata

TL- the contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph when the air bag warning indicator illuminated until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer ten times for the defect. In addition, the front passenger and driver side seat buckles were replaced on a separate occasion due to the seat belts not properly operating but the failure continued after the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 19,313. Kmj

- Rasine, WI, USA

Jul 062011

Sonata 6-cyl

One morning that I started the car, my airbag light wouldn't go off after the start-up. It has been 5 months since this light came on, and I brought it to a Hyundai dealer's service center. After their diagnostic, they said it's a sensor in the driver's seat belt had shorten out and it's causing airbag sign to come on. The mechanic also told me that this means that in case of accident that my driver-side airbag wouldn't inflate. This seems like a common problem after reading several websites about this particular model and year's airbag light problem, but Hyundai is keep denying their responsibility. Another thing that it's shocking to me is that in case a person is driving without a seatbelt, airbag wouldn't inflate, just as an electrical failure in seatbelt buckle can cause malfunction in deployment of the airbag system. This doesn't make any sense to me..why would a car maker would ever design a system like this" to punish people who are driving without a seatbelt" when I asked this question, the Hyundai dealer representative said that he doesn't make a car but there to sell it!

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Dec 062011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact noticed that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The dealer had not been notified. The manufacturer was contacted and advised the contact to take the vehicle to the local dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The current mileage was 186,000 and the failure mileage was 185,500.

- Gaithersurg, MD, USA

Dec 022010

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer three times to have the occupant classification system replaced under NHTSA recall campaign id number: 08V161000 (air bags), but the manufacturer continuously advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in and would not be repaired under the recall. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 120,000.

- Stafford , VA, USA

Nov 012011

Sonata 6-cyl

The "airbag" light came on and the vehicle was brought to the dealership for service. It was reported back to me that the seat belt sensor had failed, causing the airbag light to come on (and it was not covered on my extended warranty). From researching on the internet, it appears that this is a common problem with the Hyundai Sonata 2006. Hyundai refuses to do anything about it even though it is potentially a very dangerous malfunction.

- Rockford, MI, USA

May 172011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. While the vehicle was parked the contact stated the air bag and seat belt warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated the mat sensor had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 16,949.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Jul 012011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 08V161000 (air bags) that could have been related to the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- New Albany, IN, USA

Aug 012011

Sonata

We own a 2006 Hyundai Sonata that has an air bag warning light on. Our dealer has tried 3 times unsuccessfully to fix it. A month or two ago our ABS and air bag lights came on. We paid to have it fixed and a week or so later the air bag light came on and went back off a few times over the next week. It then stayed on so we took it back to the dealer. We were told it was the front passenger seat belt connector that needed replaced again. They replaced it again free of charge and about a week later it came back on again. A few weeks went by and the light remained on. We took it back to the dealer and they said the part was defective so they would replace it again free of charge. Less than a week went by and the light again came on. We had it back in to the dealer today, the fourth time for the same problem and now they say it is the same part but this time its the drivers side instead of the passenger side. We believe the root of the problem is and always has been in adjusting the position of the driver's seat. Thinking back, every time the light has come back on it has been on my lunch hour when I decided to eat lunch in the car and I moved my seat back all the way. I have read numerous complaints online about the same issue and cases where airbags did not deploy in a crash. Hyundai needs to take responsibility and fix this safety issue.

- Fostoria, OH, USA

Sep 052011

Sonata 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata that had my airbag and right seat belt light come on at the exact time. Researching this online I see I am not the first person to mention this defect with the 2006 Sonata and feel this problem should be addressed. This is a major issue leaving the driver with no airbags in the case of an accident. The cost to get this fixed is around $400 and I am told by the dealerships they know it is an issue with this model and that many customers have filed complaints regarding it. It's a defect having to do with the passenger seat/seat belt. This can result in someone's death if not addressed and needs to not be ignored, but corrected before it does.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Sep 262011

Sonata 4-cyl

I own a 2006 Hyundai Sonata (82K mileage). The driver side seat belt warning light came on and now stays on constantly. Based on a web search this issue appears to be a common problem with this model and one that is a major safety hazard. [the reason for the visibility complaint, this vehicle also had both driver side and passenger side sunvisor fail (another safety issue for another time)] I took the car to a Hyundai dealer who did not consider the problem within warranty. The dealer did note that the cost to repair could be as much as $1500 since the entire seat and safety belt system may require replacement. Follow up calls to Hyundai found that, though there are hundreds and possibly thousands of similar complaints, they have elected not to issue a recall related to the problem as they did for the passenger side. This is a very popular car model with a major safety issue that needs investigation. I strongly suspect your investigation will arrive at the same conclusion and with your help maybe Hyundai will issue a recall before someone is fatally injured. Here is a web link with numerous similar complaints: www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2006/Hyundai/Sonata/frontal+airbag thank you in advance for your help!

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jul 112011

Sonata 6-cyl

The driver airbag sign lit up in dashboard. Took it to the dealer and they said that the buckle sensors had failed. I asked how this happened and they said, "there is nothing you could have done to prevent this". it happens and you need to change the seat belt buckle assembly. I see a lot of people with 2006 Sonata have this problem.

- Lawrenceville, NJ, USA