2006 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 14 of 16)

Nov 112009

Sonata

Hyundai Sonata passenger and main air bag failure 2006 vehicle. Brought vehicle in for passenger air bag failure/ recall. Hyundai state all working ok, air bag still not working. Hyundai did nothing to correct problem. Adult sits in front passenger and air bag light still does not work all the time. I am driving an unsafe vehicle were I don't feel confident the passenger air bag will deploy when it has too. What is Hyundai waiting for, a death due to the arrogance" November 2009 main air bag indicators come on.Hyundai does diagnostic and tells me seat belt tensioner failure. They refuse to pay for it, they replace seat belt buckles and tensioners. Main air bag problem corrected but passenger air bag still intermittent problem. I have been in contact with Hyundai Consumer Affairs and they refuse to pay for the repairs since it is out of warranty. The car was less than 3 years old with 74,353 miles. Is this a safety issue or a warranty issue? I paid for the repairs but I never know if the air bag system will work properly. What rights do I have in this matter since Hyundai is not taking responsibility? also there is a recall on the Hyundai azer 2006-2009 for failure of the seat belt tension sensors. This is the same problem that I experienced in my 2006 Sonata. Who is to say that they used the same part in my vehicle" I would appreciate if you contact me and let me know how I get reimbursed for the repairs and get my car save again.

- Westbury, NY, USA

Jan 152010

Sonata

Noticed one day while driving alone on highway that the air bag light on the dashboard came on. Brought into dealership was told "rf buckle and OCS failure". neither covered under warranty as I was 3,000 miles over, and Hyundai Consumer Affairs told me my car was not involved in the recall (NHTSA campaign id#: 08V161000). To date (2/03/10), no repairs or solution.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 202009

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. He stated the airbag warning light continued to illuminate on the warning panel. The vehicle was taken into the dealer where they diagnosed with codes 1448 and reset the sensor light but it did not correct the failure. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer two additional times where they reset the airbag light and stated all repairs were made under warranty. The fourth time the airbag warning light illuminated on the warning panel, the dealer stated the occupant sensor needed to be replaced at the owner's expense. The vehicle was outside of warranty at the time. Although there was a recall for the same year, make and model, his VIN was excluded from the campaign (see NHTSA campaign id number: 08V161000; component: Air bags; potential number of units affected: 393308). No repairs were made to correct the failure. The failure and current mileages were under 93,359.

- Inman, SC, USA

Nov 232007

Sonata

MY2006 Sonatas air bag light stays on have had it at 2 dealers 10 times they keep resetting light comes back on in 3 days. This has been going on for 1 year 11 months. Also on fast acceleration ESC light and check engine light comes on, car loses power then you have to stop shut engine off and restart car to be able to accelerate. I have been fighting this problem almost 2 years. I am worried about my families safety in a accident.

- Gadsden, AL, USA

Oct 022009

Sonata

The "airbag" lights remain on in my vehicle when the passenger and driver sides are both occupied. I'm unsure in case of an accident, if the airbags will actually work. This matter need to looked into immediately.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 242009

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact was driving approximately 30 to 65 mph with an occupant seated in the front passenger seat when the "air bag" warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The warning indicator illuminated until the engine was turned off. In addition, the occupant classification system indicator intermittently displayed the "on" position mode. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The failure was contributed to the occupant classification system (OCS). NHTSA campaign id number 08V161000 (air bags) is related to the failure. The technician refused to perform the recall remedy since the OCS was completely destroyed. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 63,000. The current mileage was 64,700. Updated 11/10/09 updated 11/13/09.

- Narrowsburg, NY, USA

Sep 032009

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The air bag warning light consistently illuminates on the instrument control panel; which indicates that the air bags are inoperative. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice and the front driver and passenger seat buckle assemblies were replaced under the service warranty. None of the repairs remedied the failure. The dealer was re-contacted and a technician advised her that the parts were on backorder. The failure mileage was 58,418. The current mileage was 59,970.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 112009

Sonata

Airbag light stays on, and ignition switch malfunction.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Sep 022009

Sonata

2006 Hyundai Sonata has a air bag problem. The consumer was informed the passenger side buckle needed to be replaced.

- Long Valley, NJ, USA

Aug 052009

Sonata

I received notification from my dealership that my rear disc brakes on my 2006 Hyundai Sonata needed to be replaced (pads, rotors). My car currently has 56K miles on it, and any car I've ever owned never need a rear brake job (pads only) before 100K miles. The front disc brake pads were just replaced in November, and during that visit the technicians stated that all brakes (after the job) were fine. Additional issues with car, repaired during recall: ESC light displayed on dashboard ABS light displayed on dashboard airbag light displayed on dashboard

- Lansing, IL, USA

Jul 242009

Sonata

That's the problem there is no serious event leading up to the problem. It is happening because theses cars are not built for safety. I have had my car for 5 months and there are some serious problems, Hyundai and you all may not think so but it is. If it was your car that had all of these problems you would be complaining also. Problems that I have with my Hyundai Sonata: Passenger airbag light on every time you crank up, airbag light in the dash board on, check engine light (sensors going bad in the car). If its not equipped for the car don't try something that's going to have people spending out of the pockets and then paying for a car also. Recalls on 06 Hyundai Sonata what's the purpose if it cant be fixed everything on the recall list is happening to my car. If I had a second chance I would not have bout that !@#$% from Hyundai.

- Jackson, MS, USA

May 172009

Sonata

Airbag light on which means airbag is not working. Called/contacted Hyundai in guam where we purchased our Sonata 2006 all to no avail. They just told us that as soon as our car is outside of guam, our warranty is no longer in effect. German does not honor the warranty since we did not purchase our car from a german dealer. We purchased Sonata 2006 and later that year we were relocated in germany: Hohenfels army post.

- Apo, AE, USA

Apr 142009

Sonata

Airbag light / problem. Took car to car pros Hyundai, seattle wa on Aurora. Advised them my airbag light all of a sudden stays on. They advised me that it was seat belt issue and some wiring under the floor board. Hyundai advised me that the air bags wouldn't work if I was in a accident. Asked them if this was under warranty, they said only up to 60, 000 miles. And my car is over that. I advised why aren't all seat belt functions and airbags covered through the life of the car. Doesn't make sense. Its the law that I have to wear a seatbelt, well it should be a law that the seat belts are working properly and airbags for the life of vehicle.

- Everett , WA, USA

Feb 032009

Sonata

Purchased a 2006 Hyundai Sonata in 2008. Airbag light continuously glowed on dashboard. Contacted Hyundai dealership, as Hyundai has a recall regarding airbags on 2006 Sonatas. Was informed by dealership that car was 2000 miles past manufacturer's warranty. Required authorization of payment to dealership to have airbag problem inspected at a cost of $324.65 not including parts or additional labor. Had vehicle repaired at different repair shop. Replaced front passenger side seat belt assembly and sensor. Airbag light is now off. Have retained all parts for inspection and forwarded complaint to Hyundai motor co.

- Hayward , CA, USA

Jun 122008

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 35 mph on normal road conditions, the passenger side "air bag off" warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. When the failure occurred, an occupant was positioned in the front passenger seat. The warning indicator remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign id number 08V161000 (air bags). The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and repaired; however, the recall remedy has not corrected the issue. On a separate occasion, the failure recurred. The authorized dealer was notified and refused to repair the vehicle with the free recall remedy. The vehicle has not been repaired again. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was unavailable.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Feb 022009

Sonata

I was driving home from work and hit a deer with the front of the car. The airbags did not deploy.

- Tahlequah, OK, USA

Jan 222009

Sonata

My 2006 Hyundai Sonata has the air bag lite on after I start the vehicle. I took the vehicle into the dealership and they informed me after a diagnostic check that my seat belt assembly L/F preteensioner has high resistance causing the air bag light to stay on. This item is not covered by the warranty and would cost in excess of $400. My complaint is that I feel this item should be covered by the manufacturer. The Hyundai dealership technician informed me that the item would cause the air bags to not deploy in an accident and can cause the seatbelt to automatically release. This definitely seems like its a safety issue item. My vehicle has not been in any accidents and is well taken care of so the only cause for malfunction to an item like that would be defective manufacturing of the seatbelt equipment. My vehicle was purchased brand new and although it has high mileage from highway miles it has been well maintained. Please take the time to look into this matter before someone is seriously injured in an accident.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Dec 202008

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact received a recall notice regarding the air bag indicator and OCS front passenger seat. The vehicle has been taken to the dealer five times, but the indicator remains illuminated. The dealer continues to state that the vehicle is repaired and there is no failure with the air bag indicator. The contact was informed that he would have to pay for the next repair. He called the manufacturer and was informed that they would call him back within four days. The contact has yet to receive a call back. The failure mileage was 69,743.

- Shru Boak, NY, USA

Sep 282005

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign id number 08V161000 (air bags). He drove the vehicle to the dealer approximately 6-7 times and they inspected the air bag warning indicator. The contact was informed that the occupant classification system operated as designed. The passenger seat was eventually shipped to the manufacturer and they reprogrammed the OCS. The dealer reinstalled the passenger seat, but the air bag warning indicator began illuminating intermittently soon after. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer stated that the OCS was operating as designed. The current mileage was 19,650 and failure mileage was 2,000. Updated 01/08/09 updated 01/09/09

- West Melbourne, FL, USA

Nov 032008

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the passenger air bag does not activate when an occupant is seated in the front passenger seat. Hyundai stated that the occupant must weigh 128 lbs. In order for the air bag to activate. The occupant referred to in this complaint only weighed 105 lbs. The contact received a recall notice and spoke with two different dealers. They stated that they could not change the weight requirement in order to activate his air bag. The contact did not take the vehicle in for inspection. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Atkins, AR, USA