1.7

2006 Hyundai Sonata suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 012013

Sonata 4-cyl

2006 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle front control arms recall notice. The consumer was informed the control arms needed to be replaced, due to the fact the bushings were starting to separate. The consumer asked about the cause, and the dealer stated it was due to wear and tear. The consumer began to research the issue, and discovered a recall was issued for the front control arms. The consumer filed a complaint and Hyundai responded by saying they did not show any open campaigns on his vehicle. In October 2013, the consumer received a recall # 13V354000 which outlined an issue with corrosion that could result in detachment of the inboard control arm mounting points. As a result of the notice, he contacted the dealer and was told, it appeared to be related and that it would be fixed at no cost. Consequently, when he call the Hyundai dealership and was told the issue identified in the notice and his issue with the bushings that were starting to separate were two different issues and that the initial issue would not be a part of the recall. The consumer stated the only thing the dealer did, was add a corrosion kit under-coating aero and rust preventive V. the service department informed the consumer, they were not replacing the cross-member on any vehicles, they were merely using some kind of protectant to prevent further corrosion.

- Montgomery Village, MD, USA

Apr 172013

Sonata 6-cyl

Upper control arms failed & were replaced 9/27/2012. This required another dealer alignment. Front tires then wore out 6,200 miles later. Tires wore down to metal belt core; could have easily blown out. I had 3 previous dealer alignments and was told by dealer in April 2013 there is no more camber/caster adjustment possible, my car is "out of specs", that I need a $650 aftermarket camber adjustment kit. Dealer told me to rotate tires every 3,500 miles which is much sooner then the factory recommended 7,500 miles. I was told tires will lose 50% or more of tread life. My April 17, 2013 dealer alignment failed, could not be done. I had dealer alignments Sept 26, 2012 (with new upper control arms), Jan 22, 2010, July 29, 2010, July 29, 2009. I have good photos of the severe tire damage, steel belting clearly visible. I am original owner and have detailed repair records from the dealer.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jul 102013

Sonata 6-cyl

Noticed a shimmy vibration louder than normal while driving to work on highway, upon exiting on main road heard very loud thump bang on left rear drivers side. I assumed it was a blow out as I couldn't steer the car (pulling to right) but managed to make into parking lot off the main. Upon inspection left rear tire still on car not flat, but on a total slant approx 45 degree. I was very glad to be off highway however still this is a major safety issue. After towing to garage, mechanic called me later and said the entire rear sub-frame rotted and broke from car needing to replace everything suspension sub-frame, including control arms, and would need an alignment, he also said that's why my tires wore down quicker than usual due to suspension issue. I didn't contact dealer since car no longer on warranty, after checking the internet for used parts (could not afford new parts as mechanic's estimate was already at the $1800 mark) was surprised to see the hundreds of complaints already posted with this same issue. I did repair the car with a total bill (used/recycled parts) for $1567. I still did not feel safe driving this car. Why would it take so long to have a recall...it is obvious this is a defect which could cause serious crash, fatality serious injury and should be covered by Hyundai for repair or full reimbursement.

- Fishkill, NY, USA

Jul 262013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle fishtailed as the electronic stability control warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was repaired and was diagnosed as having a rusted rear driver's side control arm. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 156,000 and the current approximate failure mileage was 158,000.

- Underhill , VT, USA

Jun 232012

Sonata

Driving home one night car pulled to the left tire almost was off the car thank goodness that I was not traveling fast and not on a highway and my children were not in the car. Find out that my cross member in the rear of my car had snapped now this is a car that is garage kept and to the car dealer that I had bought it from brand new and suppose to check it with a 10 point system everytime I get the coupon in the mail which is about every 4 - 6 months was never seen the crack from reading the internet this is not the 1 St car to do this. Please try to get this problem corrected. Please make this car safer before someone gets killed thank you !

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Jul 062013

Sonata

Earlier in the day when I was driving with my nephew and sister, the ESC light came on. The next time I drove it, the light did not come on and was not on at the time of this incident. I was driving in my neighborhood, turning a corner, when I heard a loud clunk from the driver rear side. I stopped and saw a large rusty metal piece had detached from the frame on that side and was dragging on the road, the wheel was tipped out wobbly. I knew it could not be driven. I called aaa and had it towed to a local garage. Due to holiday weekend, my husband saw the mechanic on Monday 7/8/13, who diagnosed it as a rear subframe corrosion and failure. He advised us to check for a recall as he was familiar with a prior front frame recall a few years ago. He had other repairs ahead of us, so we had it towed to our mechanic 15 miles away. When our mechanic got it on the lift we were told the damage was very severe: The rear end was rotted, needing removal/replacement of rear crossmember, 2 upper and 2 lower arms, L/R upper control arm and joint, with rear shocks and mounts, and alignment.we called Hyundai regional office, opened case # 5870260. The agent reported no recalls and this was not under warranty, but he stated he was "very familiar" with this type of problem in other years and models. He advised contacting the dealership, as they may be able to do something. (herb chambers of auburn, MA.) the service manager at the dealership advised us to have it towed to them at our expense (40mi.) his lack of empathy and telling us that Hyundai would take little or no responsibility for repairs, outside of a recall, prompted us to have our mechanic do the work. Repairs were done with Hyundai factory parts, ($2,640 including labor). We are convinced that the vehicle has a defect which could have caused a crash, serious injury, and/or death had it happened in any other circumstance.

- West Brookfield, MA, USA

Jun 142013

Sonata 4-cyl

I went to a sears auto center back in December 2012 to get an alignment. In the first week of May 2013, I went back to sears to have my alignment rechecked because I was experiencing shaking while braking. They told me my rear brake shoes were corroded and falling apart and I needed to change them, along with getting new rotors and brake pads. After have these parts installed, the mechanic called me over regarding my alignment and said the rear suspension frame was corroded and rusted in 2 places, causing the tow to go out of alignment. They said I needed to either replace the whole subframe or have a steel beam welded to it for stability so they could get the correct alignment specs. If I didn't fix it, the alignment would always be off. They also warned me that if I traveled with my vehicle long distance, the frame could break where the corrosion occurred, causing an accident. 2 weeks ago, I was driving at about 35 mph in my neighborhood when my steering wheel listed to the left about 45 degrees and my rear wheels started to lean in. The driver's side rear wheel was also turned outwards which caused the car to fishtail and swerve uncontrollably during driving. I felt very unsafe and my car has been parked in my driveway since until I can get it towed to a repair shop.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Apr 142013

Sonata 4-cyl

While driving home from the grocery store, my ESC light came on. Had trouble steering the car and there was a squealing noise coming from the back end. I was informed by my mechanic that the problem is that the rear axle housing is cracked/rusted and that the wheel is crooked. The car is currently undriveable. I had read in the paper about rust causing problems with the rear suspension control arms and believe that I am experiencing the same problem. I contacted the Hyundai dealership where the car was purchased to see if this would be covered under the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty (car has approx. 80,000 miles on it), but was told that they weren't sure. I have an appointment scheduled for repair, but will not be able to have it done, unless it is covered.

- Springbrook Township, PA, USA

Jan 212013

Sonata

Before getting deployed to afghanistan, I took my Sonata to a Hyundai dealership to have some repair work done so I could let a friend borrow my car while deployed. Much of the suspension had rusted out and needed to be replaced. I also had to get a new set of tires, despite the fact that the tires I had weren't much more than one year old. In any case, I'm writing this to you after reading an article about an NHTSA investigation into Hyundai Sonatas (2006-2008) for having similar problems. Fortunately, I replaced the parts before an accident occurred but wanted to let you know about the issue in case it helps the investigation. Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with detailed information because all of my paperwork is in storage while I'm in afghanistan.

- Olmsted Falls, OH, USA

Sep 212012

Sonata 4-cyl

At a low speed I lost control of my 2006 Sonata. The rear upper control arm broke free from the K frame and the drivers side wheel shifted out about 3 inches. The stability control activated and steering became very difficult. When inspected by the local garage they found the K frame had disintegrated from rust. I did make Hyundai Consumer Affairs aware of the issue on October 3, 2012.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Dec 222012

Sonata

Driving on highway from a family event doing 65 miles an hour. Experienced extreme instability. ESC light came on dashboard making us think problem was electronic. Continuing at a reduced speed, the car continued to dart to left. On a highway off ramp, the car darted toward the left hand guardrail, with rear tire squealing. We were still 50 miles from home. Limped the car home to bring to our mechanic. We took it to Firestone in ct. The mechanic put it on the lift and inspected it. Found it to have extensive corrosion on the subframe in the back end. We could of been killed. He told me not to drive the car until the problem was fixed.

- Portland, CT, USA

Nov 292012

Sonata 4-cyl

Rear sub frame rusted through and broke off where it conncects to wheel. Updated 12/27/12 updated 12/31/2012

- Jefferson Twp, PA, USA

Oct 012012

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle rear end swerved while driving but the contact thought that the failure occurred due to low tire pressure until the electronic stability control light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where a diagnostic test was performed. The failure was located on the rear left and right wheel where the frame was corroded and cracked causing the rear tires to wear prematurely. The vehicle was repaired. The left and right frame, radius arm, lower control arm, and tires were replaced. The approximate failure and current mileage was 159,801. Updated 01/15/13 updated 1/24/2013

- Jeannette , PA, USA

Oct 262012

Sonata 4-cyl

This problem was discovered Oct 26, 2012. My son noted some loss of control after hitting a road bump. I inspected the car and noted that the rear diver-side wheel was at a weird angle. The car was moved to my local repair shop on Nov 1st. They informed me that there was subframe corrosion effecting the rear control arm and making the car unsafe to drive. He advised me to have my Hyundai dealership look at it. I called garvey Hyundai, of queensbury, NY, where I purchased this vehicle. I spoke to the service manager and arranged to have the vehicle towed from my shop to garvey. He informs me that there has not been any prior problems with subframe corrosion and this model year and no recalls. He tells me that it will cost between $1350 and $2400 to repair and although Hyundai is not responsible they offered me $500 toward the repair work. I feel that this should not be an issue with a vehicle that is only a 2006 and that the repair should be covered in full by Hyundai. The car has spent winters in a garage when not driven. I have had multi issues with this vehicle, including needing to have the engine replaced (while still under warranty) I see that there has been subframe corrosion issues with prior years.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Jul 022012

Sonata 4-cyl

I was just getting off the interstate and was driving home when the car made this clunking noise and then I lost control of the steering. I could no longer drive the car. After I got the car home, it was looked at and I was told the control arm rotten off the sub-frame from the inside out. I did some research and found that this was a problem with the 2001-2004 Hyundai Sonatas. I contacted Hyundai and they did not seem to want to help me and told me this has not been a problem in the past. It apperas to me that if they recalled previous models that they have not fixed the problem. I am very thankful that the control arm did not brake while I was on the interstate driving at 65 mph.

- Roxbury, VT, USA

Nov 302011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the front sub-frame was corroded. The contact was driving 65 mph when the rear stabilizers separated from the vehicle. The vehicle was not been inspected or repaired. The failure and the current mileages were 176,000. Updated 03/16/12 the consumer stated the vehicle was not repaired, because the frame wasn't broken. Updated 05/11/12 the consumer stted the vehicle was repaired. The subframe was replaced free of charge by Hyundai. Updated 12/21/2012

- Pulaski, NY, USA

Mar 012006

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving, she could hear a loud sound coming from under the front passenger side wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the rotors were defective and needed to be replaced. The remedy failed to repair the failure. The vehicle was taken back to a dealer who diagnosed that the control arm bushings were defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 10,000 and the current mileage was 129,000. Updated 06/07/12

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Sep 232011

Sonata

Broken left upper control arm not covered under 100,000 mile warranty, which could have adversely caused a loss of control of vehicle, per mechanic.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jan 012010

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Sonata which houses pirelli cinturato P3000 tires, line size P215/60/R16. While driving, he would hear an echoing howl from the front driver's side tire. The vehicle was taken to a tire specialist where rotation and balance was performed on the vehicle. He continued to hear the noise from the tire after it was rotated and took the vehicle back to the tire specialist. The tire specialist advised him that there may have been an issue with the shock absorber on his vehicle. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer where they could not duplicate or diagnose the failure. They advised him that the tire may have been out-of-round and/or failing from the inside of the tire. The contact replaced the driver and passenger side front tires, which stopped the noise on the front driver's side of the vehicle. The failure mileage of the tire was 26,000 and the mileage on the vehicle at the time of the failure was 78,000. Updated 4/26/10 updated 05/06/10

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 032006

Sonata

After owning the car and driving it for less than 100 miles, there was a noticeable vibration on the around 60-75 mph. The tires were re-balanced and the condition remains. The vehicle was taken to another dealer and re-balanced and the problem continues. When I returned again to the purchasing dealer for this problem for a third time, I was provided a loaner vehicle (gls V-6) and it has the same problem, but more evident. When I received my vehicle, the problem remains.

- Irving, TX, USA