2007 Hyundai Sonata lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Sonata:

2007 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jun 062008

On June 2, 2008 the ESC (electronic stability control) light on the dash indicated the ESC was not engaged. It went off after I stopped the car and restarted. The light came on 2 more times in the next 4 days. On June 6, I was making a "Y" turn on a residential street and the shift would not move out of drive. Having read the owner's manual previously, I popped the button on top of the shift console and pushed the button with my knife. I was able to get into reverse, but the shift locked down again keeping me from going into drive. I had to push the button. I brought the car to my dealer on June 16. The brake light switch was faulty and sticking causing the problem. Since I have only 8,456 miles on the car, warranty covered the repair.

- Rome, GA, USA

May 092008

Sonata 6-cyl

The brake light switch on my 2007 Hyundai Sonata (V6 - limited - auto transmission) has failed twice in less than one year. Both times, failure began with automatic deactivation of the electronic stability control system (as indicated by a light in the instrument panel), followed several days later by failure of the transmission interlock system which makes it impossible to shift the car to/from drive to reverse (or park). When this failure occurred on Friday, May 9, 2008, I was pulling into a parking lot but suddenly needed to reverse my direction to avoid being hit by another vehicle that did not yield the right of way. With no warning, I suddenly found that the shift lever would not move into reverse because the shift interlock (controlled by the defective brake switch) would not allow the lever to move. I was stuck in traffic for several minutes and was nearly hit by a truck because I could not move the vehicle! luckily, I remembered how to remove the small cover over the manual disengagement point and was able to use a leatherman tool to deactivate the shift lock system and place the car in reverse. This could have been a tragic situation if I had been hit by the truck or if this had happened near a railroad crossing or as I was boarding a ferry boat on puget sound. This is not an isolated problem with Hyundai automobiles as I found by researching the issue on the web. This is a serious problem that needs to be fixed once and for all! the dealer replaced the switch under warranty, but this will do little good if I am killed or seriously injured the next time failure occurs.

- Puyallup, WA, USA