2007 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Hyundai Sonata:

2007 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Sep 192014

Sonata 6-cyl

Airbag light in instrument cluster is illuminated - diagnostic test revealed belt buckle sensor is not functioning.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Sep 222014

Recently I took my car into the Hyundai dealership for an oil change. The next day my air bag light came on and will not turn off. I have also had this problem with the TPMS light. The dealership hooked my car up to diagnostics for the TPMS light and said they fixed it. However couple days later the light came back on. They want to charge every time just to look at it when they already looked at the TPMS light. I am afraid the same thing is going to happen with the airbag light. They want a $100 to look at it when they should already know Sonata has had several if not hundreds of complaints about this exact issue.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Sep 192014

Sonata 6-cyl

Airbag light came on weeks ago. Today, we disconnected the battery and removed the fuses to reset the system. The airbag light is still on. Research suggests this is a malfunction that is common in our car model and airbag may not deploy in a crash.

- Blue Ash, OH, USA

Apr 082014

Sonata 6-cyl

The air bag warning light appears on the dashboard cluster and does not go out. I brought it to the dealer (hardin Hyundai, anaheim, ca) to have it reset but it has reappeared. They said they cannot identify the source of the problem from a diagnostic reading and do not know what the effects of the warning.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jun 022014

Sonata 6-cyl

I received a letter from Hyundai that my car was under recall (issue with the passenger air bag being de-activated) & urged me to visit the dealer if OCS light was on. Hence I took it to the dealership based on this safety recall notice. They checked the system and the front passenger seat and said there was no problem and that my system was fine. Less than 1 month later the red airbag light appeared on my dash board intermittently for about a week before it came on and stayed on permanently. I returned to the dealer to have them run a system check and was informed that the issue was a sensor was triggered due to a faulty passenger seat belt assembly and needed to be replaced at the cost of approximately $400!!! I informed the dealer that the airbag light did not come on until after they supposedly worked on or checked the airbag system due to the recall in the 1st place. I was told that this had nothing to do with the recall issue and that I would have to pay at my expense because it was not covered by warranty. Because I did not have $400 just laying around to spend, the problem has not been fixed yet and now my vehicle has failed the safety inspection due to the airbag issue!!! if Hyundai has a manufacturing defect should it not be their responsibility to inspect it to see if the recall is applicable instead of charging the customer for it" secondly, if this investigation proves that Hyundai has installed defective safety equipment in these vehicles across the board, shouldn't every customer who had to pay out of pocket expense to have the seat belts replaced be fully reimbursed"

- Worcester, MA, USA

Aug 292014

Sonata 4-cyl

Dealer found codes B1706 and B1102 present. Dealer tech stated driver seat belt buckle needs replacing, with an estimated cost of $344.56. The SRS module is not allowing codes to be reset, needs replacing also, with an estimated cost of $1,004. I see NHTSA has just started investigating the B1706 code -- my understanding from reading the other complaints is that a short circuit is causing the error code, and replacing the seat belt assembly is not permanently fixing the problem for most owners. Most owners mention repeat bills of about $350, but a few of the complaints mention much higher repair estimates, over $1,000. I suspect these estimates include replacement of the SRS module, like my estimate did. NHTSA should consider whether there is also a rash of SRS module failures due to the same short circuit. My B1102 code, indicating a high-voltage error, could also be more common and could also be caused by the same short circuit.

- Greenbelt, MD, USA

Aug 202014

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated once he started the vehicle the air bag warning illuminated. The problem occurred numerous of times. The vehicle was taken to dealer who stated that the passenger seat belt buckle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified about the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Aug 202014

Sonata 6-cyl

The air bag light came on so I took the car into the dealer for a diagnosis ($75). They told me there are two issues - the OCS which is already under recall so no charge and the other is the driver side seat belt issue reported by many others here. I was told that this $300+ repair is necessary for the airbag system to work properly. Clearly this should be a recall item or at least repaired at no charge if it occurs. Also, the dealer wouldn't even credit me for the diagnostic fee even though one of the issues is a recall and the other is going to be repaired by the dealer.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 012014

Hyundai has changed my seat belt buckle numerous times because of an air bag related issue. Now that its out of warranty they will not cover it. Air bag light back on and they want, $400 to replace the bad seatbelt with any warranty. This is probably the 4th time since I had the vehicle brand new that im having this problem, I never in my life experienced so many airbag problems with a vehicle other then a Hyundai. Also now they are saying my brake light switch is bad yet again after they supposedly changed it out a few years ago for a recall, to many of the same problems with Hyundai. Scared to drive the car feels like I bought a lemon. Wish there was more that Hyundai could do for there customers but it seems like they don't care. What ever happened to Hyundai slogan about safety 1st..

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 132009

Sonata 4-cyl

The airbag light is on all the time. It has been fixed several times but then goes on again. I understand the problem has to do with the wiring under the driver's seat that could cause the airbag not to expand in an accident which could cause death.. I can't understand why Hyundai is not recalling these cars to fix the problem.

- Manchester, NJ, USA

Oct 192012

Sonata 6-cyl

2007 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle airbag issues. The consumer stated the air bag light illuminated. The consumer had an issue with the air bag light illuminating in October 2012, where the dealer replaced the seat belt buckle assembly.

- Enid, OK, USA

Aug 072014

Two weeks ago my air bag light came on. Brought the vehicle into the dealer this morning and they tell me that I need a new passenger seatbelt buckle. Failure to replace this incredibly expensive part would result in the failure of the airbags to deploy in the event of a crash. Also, the state I live in would not allow the vehicle to pass inspection with this light being on. So I can not wait for a recall, I have to replace this part now. Seeing as how many others have reported this problem and it directly relates to the safety of the vehicle I do not understand why this seatbelt buckle has not yet been recalled.

- St. Albans, ME, USA

Jun 202014

Sonata 4-cyl

My air bag has been on now for 2 months and like another complaints I was told that I could bring it and pay 85 dollars for them to run a test to see what was wrong.I took it in for the recall about the seat belt where they had to ship it to ca. If you know that you have had problems with your air bag system wouldn't it be good customer service to check it for free. My ESC light will come on at least once or twice a month. I'm not sure what causes that problem to happen. I have a concern about the paint flaking off. I have read on other sites and spoke to several body shops about this concern. The body shops state that the problem lies with the primer not holding the paint. I've already had to have the roof repainted and now my trunk is down to bare primer. I don't feel that I should have to pay for another repair bill for something that happened at the factory. I'm just wondering if anyone else has complained about this?

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Jul 262014

Sonata 4-cyl

While I was driving a couple days ago my air bag light came on. It has stayed on for 3 days now. I called Hyundai customer service and they stated that the seat belt issue is under investigation. I was informed that since this has not been recalled, I must pay $100 for a diagnostic check and then hundreds of more dollars to get it fixed with no guarantee that it will be reimbursed. This is ridiculous that I must pay for a known safety issue to be fixed because a government Agency is so slow moving in forcing a recall. This is a known issue that puts lives at risk. This needs to be recalled immediately and those of us that have paid for it be reimbursed.

- Dane, WI, USA

Nov 012013

After my 2007 Sonata air bag warning light first came on, I phoned my hundayi dealer where I purchased my car new- waikem auto in canton, oh. They said they had a safety recall on it, and to bring it in. After I took it in, and they inspected it, they told me it wasn't the recall they thought it would be. They said it was due to my front seat belt sensors - both failing - that was causing my air bag light to come on & stay on. Also, they told me it was not covered under warranty, and then I was told that my air bags would not deploy because of this seat belt sensor failure! it is expensive to repair. My complaint- why would a seat belt sensor be tied to my air bag function ?? this is not right. My seat belts function fine. I see on news today, that you have other complaints with the same issues, and are investigating the matter. I want to file my complaint for the same reason as others have lodged, and feel that hundayi should be made to make a recall and repair these seat belt sensors, so that my air bags will function properly should I have an accident.

- Canton, OH, USA

Jun 052014

Sonata 4-cyl

I just recently bought the car from a dealer on June 5, 2014. I noticed that the driver airbag light was on and asked the dealer about it and he stated it was an easy fix. However after two visit to the dealer the problem has not been fixed. I also notice that when we are driving and I am sitting in the passenger seat the passenger air bag light is going off and on sometimes it turns off for over an hour. I am very concerned about this.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jun 062014

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the front passenger seat intermittently failed to detect when a passenger was occupying the seat. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 08V161000 (air bags) but failed to remedy the failure. The vehicle was not diagnose or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 89,000. Updated 10/2/14 the consumer also stated both sun visors would not stay in place. Updated 10/07/14

- Lakewood , NJ, USA

Jul 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

Same problem as others have described, passenger side air bag light came on then I noticed the flashing air bag light on the dash (I had a piece of paper in front of it). I'm going by my dealer today but I don't expect any good news. It's unbelievable to me a safety item like this isn't covered warranty/recall. If as others have said, I assure you this is my first & last Hyundai.

- Haines City, FL, USA

Dec 142009

I purchased a used 2007 Hyundai Sonata on 5/29/2009 with 26,923 miles from gettel Hyundai, sarasota Florida. I took it back to the dealership on 12/14/09 (34,151 miles) because the air bag light remained on. They found B1706 error (the passenger seat belt buckle resistance was high) so they replaced the passenger seat belt buckle assembly with no charge. On 6/8/12 (61,000 miles) I took the car back to the dealership for the same problem. The technician found codes: B1448, B1701 and B1706.the repairs were not cover by warranty and would cost $800. I declined the work. Before I left they told me that the airbags may not deploy if I were in an accident. Last month I found out that there was a recall of 2007 Hyundai Sonata back in April 2008 to replace the airbag sensor in the passenger seat cushion which caused the airbag light to remain on. Today (7/18/2014), (91,000 miles) I took my car in to the dealership for the recall repair and they told me the problem was with the front passenger cushion airbag sensor and with both seat belt buckle sensors. They will ship the front passenger cushion seat to California to fix the airbag sensor problem for free but it would cost $630 to replace both seat belt buckle assemblies. The service manager said if I declined to replace both seat belt sensors that the airbags would not deploy if I ever get into an accident. Well, I cannot afford the repair. It is a sad situation. Hyundai must know by now there is a problem with the seat belt assembly, it is all over the internet. It seems to be all about money and that Hyundai is paying for the cost of recall repairs for the seat cushion sensor by charging folks to have the seat belt assemblies replaced. I'm sure some lawyer will find out about this problem and find people injured due to the seat belt assembly malfunctions and file a lawsuit. I just hope no one dies because of it.

- Venice, FL, USA

Jul 072014

I have had continual problems with the air bag dashboard warning light coming on and staying on in my 2007 Sonata. The standard repair from Hyundai is to replace a faulty seat belt buckle. This can be either the driver side or the passenger side. To date, I have had three seat belt buckles replaced (2 driver, 1 passenger, as well as the OCS recall work done). One was under warranty and two were out-of-pocket expenses. The most recent replacement was April, 2014. The air bag warning light is on again, but this time the passenger seat belt warning light is continually flashing while driving, when no one is in the passenger seat. The only way to stop it is to buckle the passenger seat belt. I have contacted Hyundai in the past to suggest very strongly that this is a product defect in the 2007 Sonata and a major safety issue - the air bag system is disabled when the warning light is on. They have never seen it that way.

- Hummelstown, PA, USA