2008 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Sonata:

2008 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jan 122016

Sonata

I tps was on it was -12° outside I was making a left turn at a low speed and I I tried to turn because ahead of me were 2 cars the car did not wanted to break or slowdown. I try to.hrwk but the car was accelerating it did not want to stop. I had to turn my hazard light on as soon that I felt the car not wanting to stop. I notice the rim was going high even though I was trying to.break. I had to pull to the side of the road tried to.put on the emergency break but the car didn't want to.stop so I can put on break. I had to keep.pulling on the emergency break finally it stop I put it on P. turned the car off waited 5 minutes to turn the car back on and it seems fine now. But I was really scared what if I was was on the express way going fast and can't break. Ever since that day I been driving really slow and cautious.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Jul 022014

Sonata 6-cyl

I was driving South on I25 in Colorado near denver. The car was on cruise control, going approximately 55 mph. I saw a bus a couple of hundred yards away. The bus was either stopped or going very slowly. I applied the brakes and my 2008 Sonata would not go out of cruise control. I tried canceling cruise control and braking and car remained in cruise control. At the last moment, I tried the emergency brake as I crashed into the back of the bus going about 55 mph. I nearly died. I couldn't breathe for 20 seconds. I have fractured ribs and fractured bones in my back. The car is totaled. It looks like a squashed accordion.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Jun 122013

Sonata

I purchased a certified used Hyundai Sonata 2008 a few months ago and we decided to test it on a long drive. We changed the oil, filled up the tank and making sure that we have everything we need we took off to boston (MA) a 750 mi drive from columbus (oh) for a family reunion. On our way back the ESC off light came up causing an instant loss of acceleration and a dead gas pedal. I learned that if I turned off the car the light went away and I could drive for another 10-15 min until the light came up and we had to pool over again. We drove 10-15 miles at the time all the way home praying that I would not have to pool over in a construction area where there was no place to pool over and traffic would have to stop until I would restart my car. It was nerve wrecking because I had to stop very often in the middle of nowhere during the night without knowing if the next restart will work again. My wife and our 11 months old were in the car with me and I all I wanted was to get them home safe.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 242012

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The contact attempted to shift gears, but the vehicle would not shift gears. The contact then had to apply the brakes to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for a diagnosis. The dealer was unable to diagnose a failure. The manufacturer refused to look into the failure. The failure and current mileages were 30,000. Updated 09/07/2012

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Oct 302010

Sonata

While driving our vehicle the throttle had stuck, I pulled on the floor mat as I was applying the brakes thinking this was the problem. This was not the case as the car wasn't slowing down. I popped the throttle with my foot hoping this would free up the throttle, which just made the problem worse. I placed the car in neutral and shut the engine off, kept applying the brake until I safely got the vehicle to stop. I had the dealership look into the problem that same day to find out that the computer chip had failed. I don¿T want this to happen to anyone.

- Butler, PA, USA

Sep 072010

Sonata

I had a terrifying experience and near/miss this morning. My 2008 Hyundai Sonata (limited edition) car suddenly accelerated for no reason as I was exiting an expressway doing 65 mph! I couldn't stop the car! my foot was slammed on the brake and I felt/smelled the brake, but the car kept accelerating. I flew through a stop sign at the top of the exit ramp, blowing my horn, whipped around the curve to a street on the right, nearly hitting 4 cars before I finally threw the car into neutral. My car has cruise control, but I don't use it. I was very shaken up, but miraculously, no accident. I had the vehicle towed to the Hyundai dealer, and the technicians cannot find anything wrong with it. I won't drive that car again in its current condition. No way. I was terrified. This was clearly a case of sudden unintended acceleration. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before, and I've been driving for 30 years.

- Uniontown, OH, USA

May 272010

Sonata

After slowing down around a corner and slowing down to park, my engine surged and the car jumped a 6" curb and was stopped by a large bush. I also had my brake down. This occurred on the university of notre dame campus and was reported to notre dame security.

- South Bend , IN, USA

Oct 212008

Sonata

The contact owned a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that they experienced a sudden acceleration in the vehicle. While attempting to pull into a parking space the vehicle surged forward. The contact tried to use the brakes to stop the vehicle, to no avail. A crash occurred and the vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was traveling 25 mph. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were 30,000.

- Tehachapi, CA, USA

Jan 272010

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 2 mph out of a parking space, the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated and crashed into a building. There were no injures. The current and failure mileages were 19,000. Updated 3/12/10 the consumer stated when the air bag deployed, it struck her in the chest. Updated 03/04/10. The consumer stated she was pulling into a parking space at 1-2 mph with her foot on the brake, when the engine surged with a great roar and the vehicle accelerated and crashed into a wall. Updated 05/06/10

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

Aug 042009

Sonata

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact was driving approximately 65 mph on normal road conditions and without warning, the speed reduced while pressure was applied to the accelerator pedal; followed by no power response. The driver was able to drive into the emergency lane. The engine was shut off and restarted. The vehicle resumed normal operation. The failure continued to occur intermittently at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The technician repaired the vehicle and stated that the failure was contributed to the throttle control sensor. The contact had concerns of the safety risk involved. The failure mileage was 14,000 and the current mileage was 15,000.

- Mishawaka, IN, USA