2008 Hyundai Sonata lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Sonata:

2008 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jun 012016

One of the rear brake lights are not turning on while applying the brakes. On investigation I found that it might be due to the brake lamp switch issue mentioned on Hyundai's website and they recalled a lot of vehicles in last couple of years. When I checked about the car's eligibility on Hyundai's website, I found my car as eligible for repair free of cost. After talking to the dealer for fixing of the issue, they said that my vehicle is not eligible for the repair. Then I sent an email to the helpdesk with the details. Also, I contacted them on the helpline number. As per them, my vehicle was already recalled a couple of years back and the switch was replaced with a high quality part which should not create any more problems and I'll have to bear the inspection and replacement cost. I would like the company/dealer to get this fixed asap since the part has again started creating problems in just 2 years and I am worried with the further problem it may cause to my and my family's safety. I came to know about this issue today morning while commuting to office.

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Nov 192010

Sonata 4-cyl

I was unaware when I have turned on my parking lights - not my headlights. Dashboard lights are the same for either choice. Too often I am unaware when I have not turned my headlights on.. dealer response was - no cars give you visual indication of the selected level of outside lighting. This is dangerous and has cause near misses often at dusk.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 062014

I cant keep headlights working on the passenger side and the wires are melted so its hard to even change the bulbs. Anyways I have been through 4-6 bulbs since Feb. But most of the time I go without lights on that side even though it makes it hard to see at night.

- Marion, NC, USA

Oct 212013

Sonata 6-cyl

Several times the ESC light has come on and I noticed a lot of drivers have their brake lights going off. I don't know if this is happening but I made an appointment and the light will not stay on so I cancelled. It did stay on once for 3 days along with the check engine light but I got my tires changed and both lights went off. Since then the ESC light keeps coming on but after it sets or you park it and restart, the light resets and goes off.

- Lebanon, VA, USA

Aug 302013

Sonata 4-cyl

Rear brake lights (both along bumper and in the back window) failed to come on although all fuses and bulbs are working properly. Problem has persisted since.

- Hopewell, VA, USA

May 222012

Sonata 6-cyl

ESC light illuminates intermittently. Sometimes the brake lights do not light. Noticed that there is a recall on previous years but not the 2008.

- New Castle , DE, USA

Sep 122012

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while at a complete stop, she was informed that none of the brake lights were illuminated. The vehicle was not taken for repairs. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that her VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number 09V122000 (service brakes, hydraulic:switches:brake light). The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 75,925.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Jun 152012

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact was driving 30 mph when the brake lights failed and the stability control lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer stated that the stop lamp switch needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileages were 61,000.

- Chester, MD, USA

Oct 032009

Sonata 4-cyl

Both the rear brake lights and the rear dash lights stopped illuminating (11-12-2011). I also have the ESC indicator light going on and off (past 6 months) there was a warranty replacement on the stop lamp switch done on 10-23-2009. Service department invoice states ESC off light on caused by: Recovered C1513 due to faulty brake lamp switch. Work performed: Installed 93810-3K000-qqh stop lamp assembly switch. Problem still occurring!!!!

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

May 172008

I bought a brand new 2008 Hyundai Sonata in November of 2007. I received a letter in the mail back in early 2008 about the recall on the airbag sensor. I took the car in a number of times and the dealership said there was no issue. I took the car in another time and the dealership saw the defect. What happens is the passenger airbag will come on saying the passenger airbag is off, even if there is an adult over 150lbs sitting in the seat in the up-right position. The dealership sent the seat to some place in California to be fixed and then was returned after three days. I got the car back and I was still having the same issues. I took the car back to the dealership again a number of times to get the issue fixed. I showed them pictures and videos but they told me there was no issue with the airbag. My sales-woman suggested that I file the lemon law on the car. She said that as long as I was still under the warranty that I would be eligible for the lemon law. I called the hotline number she gave me and they said I just missed the deadline by one month. The rep for the lemon law said I had two years plus 60 days to file. My deadline would of been January of 2009. I called the hotline in February of 2009. They referred me to the BBB auto line. The only thing BBB did for me was contact Hyundai to set up an appointment with me for the district parts manager to look at the car. The first appointment was given to me with two days notice. I called the dealership to let them know that I was not able to make the appointment on such short notice. I am a manager of a store and I work 9am-6pm everyday except sundays. I was told that Hyundai would schedule another appointment with me but I have yet to hear from them. I was also told that the district parts manager would not arrive before 9:30am and the dealership closes before I would have a chance to get there in the evenings and they are closed on sundays. I also recently found two more recalls issued for my car for the headlights.

- North Port, FL, USA