2008 Hyundai Sonata miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Sonata:

2008 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Jul 102015

Passenger side sun visor wont stay up.I heard, there may have been a recall on some models. Thought I would check. Thanks.

- Southaven, MS, USA

Jul 162016

On July 19, 2016 at or about 1500 hours, I was driving to the store to get some food, on the way out my apartment complex, I believe my Hyundai Sonata 2008 allowed me to go about two blocks down from where I live to shut off in the street right before I approached the stop sign. I also remember hearing two weeks prior to my vehicle shut off, while driving I heard this knocking sound in my engine, I thought it was the new starter that was replaced but then a day or two later it stop making that knocking noise. I called around to find answers no one had a clue to what was going on with this vehicle. Everything was working just fine until July 16, 2016. I had this vehicle since April 17, 2009 and I can't not believe this vehicle has a major issue like this at point and time. I could deal with regular maintenance services but on this flip sided coin; not having a vehicle to crank or one that just shuts off with out any engine lights or warning is a complete mystery for me, but I think it is time Hyundai give me some answers to this problem... lets also be clear there was oil and gas in the vehicle at this time of vehicle in motion shut off.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 152016

Sun visors do not stay up. This happens while driving, parked, all the time. Very

- Watkins Glen, NY, USA

Jan 012015

I read your recall today re: The same make/model of car that I own. My hyndai Sonata is a 2008. I am experiencing exactly the same issues listed in the recall since the beginning of 2015. I have spent more money than I have trying to fix this car (which I am financing currently). The engine light has been on, there is a knocking noise coming from the engine and the car will not "get up and go" and feels as if it may stall out upon taking off forward after coming to a stop. Loud knocking noise coming from under the hood when you step on the gas. They only way to get rid of the noise is to let off of the gas.

- Delaware, OH, USA

Aug 052014

While driving at approx. 50/55 mph, all of a sudden the sun visor on the drivers side fell loosely right in front of my vision. As I was in heavy traffic, I grabbed it and held it up while driving with one hand until I could get off at the next off ramp. Luckily, I had some duct tape in the trunk and was able to tape it up. If a woman had this happen while a child was in the car, the outcome could have been really bad!

- Eugene, OR, USA

Aug 062014

Sonata 4-cyl

Driving while using cruise control at approximately 65 mph the check engine, air bag, and E.S.C light illuminated. Also, a simultaneous internal engine explosion resulted in an instant fire as well as a rod thrown from the vehicle damaging block and setting the car on fire from a resulting massive oil leak. There was no prior damage leading up to the incident nor any indication to my knowledge that there were any concerns with my car till it was too late unfortunately.

- Elk Grove , CA, USA

Jul 282014

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while at a stop sign, the contact smelled and saw smoke. The contact exited the vehicle and discovered that the vehicle was on fire starting from the rear. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot. The cause of the fire was not determined. The vehicle was destroyed. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Redding, CT, USA

Jul 192012

Sun visor on both pass and drive side will not stay in the up position causing a hazard as the visor is in the line of sight and will come down unexpectedly.

- Little Falls, NY, USA

Nov 062009

Passenger visor pivot arm failed to retract after a few uses. Visor hung down slightly and would not go back up. Passenger would hit their head getting into and out of the car on the visor. This was not covered under warranty. Driver side visor pivot arm failed to retract shortly thereafter, after few uses. Driver side visor hangs at an angle that occludes driver's line of view, thus a hazard for driver safety. Also if a collision would occur, the driver would collide with hanging visor that points toward face, causing head trauma.

- Maple Glen, PA, USA