2.5

2009 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Sonata:

2009 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 032012

Sonata 4-cyl

Premature wear and replacement was required due to a defect involving the brakes and calipers which may involve defective parts and/or premature corrosion. Brakes and calipers replaced twice in two year period. Rear brake calipers would periodically stick and grind causing brakes to smoke and give off burning smell. Car at times was unsafe to drive due to these problems.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Aug 302014

Sonata 4-cyl

My steering and brakes suddenly locked up. I had my kids in the car and lucky that it happened right by my house. No traffic. Even the suspension was affected.I immediately got kids out of the car and contacted my insurance to tow the car.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 172014

Sonata 4-cyl

I had a loud scraping noise coming from the rear of my car and for the second time in 2 years, I have had to have my rear pads and rotors replaced.. the first time was in November of 2012.. I am the original owner of this car and this is excessive. I have read 51 other complaints of the same problem. I have had 5 Hyundai and not put rear brakes on them until over 100,000 miles..

- Millbury, MA, USA

May 022012

Sonata 4-cyl

I have had to replace my rear brakes and rotors twice in 5yrs. The first was in may of 2012. The vehicle had 28,000 miles. There was no warning lights my first indication was a dragging sound. I just had them replaced again April 2014 with 42.000 miles. Again no warning until the horrible grinding sound. Also many times after long trips there is a distinct burning smell. I was told by the dealer that it was my tires. Another repair company told me it was my brakes getting hot. They said that the rear brakes are constantly engaged thus burning the pads and decreasing gas millage. Other people have reported the same problem though Hyundai denies it. It is a huge safety issue!!

- Normal, IL, USA

Nov 282013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the brakes required excessive force in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the rusted brake caliper pin had seized. The rear brakes were replaced and the brake pin was lubricated. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Connellsville, PA, USA

Oct 082013

Sonata 4-cyl

When applying brakes, the brakes start sticking, causing the car to jerk. I have taken the car to the dealership for them to tell me they could not see anything that was wrong with the brakes. When I left the dealership, the brakes were doing the same thing.

- Harrisburg, NC, USA

Apr 012013

Sonata

In April 2013 my rear brakes had to be replaced for inspection. The right rear side was down to nothing, it was rubbing bare metal to bare metal, brakes again rotors. The left side was also more worn than it should have been, but not as bad as the right side. In July 2013 the same issue happened again. The right rear side was rubbing metal to metal, brakes against rotor. The left side was fine. The brakes parts (caliper) were working appropriately. In October 2013 the right rear brakes began squealing and approximately 2 weeks after the squealing began it started making the same grinding noise as it did the previous times and the brakes had to be replaced again. This time, the caliper also had to be replaced. My rear brakes have had to be replaced three times in 8 months.

- Jeannette, PA, USA

Apr 182013

Sonata

I had to replace the rear brake pads and rotors. The rotors were warped from the pads constantly rubbing on them. Clearly there is a problem here with the number of complaints I see. My mechanic could not believe the damage done to the rotors and told me the front brakes usually wear first. I have also had the vehicle in twice for the rough done shifting that occurs when the vehicle is cold. The dealership reprogrammed the transmission both times but that did not solve the problem. I also had a problem with the ESC light staying on but the dealership replaced the rear wheel speed sensor.

- Ashtabula, OH, USA

Nov 012011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the ESC warning light illuminated intermittently. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 13V113000 (exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available.

- Humble, TX, USA

Sep 012013

Sonata

My ESC and air bag malfunction lights are illuminated and my brakes mal-functions. Recall campaign 110 recalls the brake light switch on some of these cars but not on my year and model. I am suggesting that the recall may need to be expanded to include the 2009 Sonata since the switches seem to malfunction in that make/model/year as well.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 102012

Sonata 4-cyl

Basically it appears that I'm having the same brake switch issue common with many Hyundai. However, currently the '09 Sonata is not covered under any recall. The problem began at least a year ago when the ESC off light would turn on at random times. It would normally clear upon turning the car off. A few days ago the ESC off light would not turn off. Today I could not shift into park from drive. After searching the internet I quickly found the brake switch issue. I confirmed that my brake lights were not functional. This is something occurs with absolutely no warning which is a bit scary since I drive home on a major highway. I'm not sure how long the brake lights had been out. I also noticed that the cruise control stopped functioning when the ESC off light became permanent. However, for some reason it started working again when the shift lock problem occurred. Odd. Not sure why an additional issue would make the speed control functional again.

- Bow, NH, USA

Jul 062009

Sonata 4-cyl

Erratic shifting. Sometimes lurches forward into a higher gear when coming to a stop, nearly causing me to hit car ahead of me. Also front brake rotors are warped causing rumble. I am an exceptionally conservative driver, mildly accelerates and brakes gradually well ahead of stopping. I had the computer upgrade that was supposed to correct the transmission problem shortly after purchasing car at suresky in goshen, NY. This failed to correct problem and I don't have the time nor want to continually spend my saturdays sitting for hours in the service area waiting room. I have read many similar complaints online and it seems that Hyundai chooses not to address this problem. This is my third and will be the last Hyundai purchase.

- Greenwood Lake, NY, USA

Jun 012012

Sonata

Right rear brake makes pulsating rattle sound. Seems to happen more after several miles of driving in warm, dry weather. Technicians can't find permanent cure but it did go away for awhile after the rotor was resurfaced. However, the noise has returned. This is the same wheel on which several thousand miles ago the caliper seized causing me to have to replace the entire brake on that wheel. The rattling sound has been going on for a long time, and the mileage I entered for this complaint is a sheer guess.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 132013

Sonata

The rear calipers mounting bracket is holding the brakes way to tightly to the rotors so they are constantly being applied. The only way to prevent this from happening is to manually grind down the sides of the brakes to make them fit properly. I found this out when I changed my brakes before a long car ride (approx 4 hours). The brakes were holding the car back and throwing off my alignment. Bought vehicle with 49000 miles with new brakes. Replaced them at 68200. Currently has 69200 and I have to replace the brakes again because the hot friction completely ruined the brakes. My wife is pregnant and I do not feel safe knowing my brakes might burn out at some point and fail.

- Montgomery, NY, USA

Aug 122013

Sonata 6-cyl

Rear brake calipers are locking up causing premature excessive wear of the rear brakes. This is undetectable in the drivability of the car until the brake pads are worn so low that they make noise.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Jul 162013

Sonata 4-cyl

Heard squealing and howling from the rear driver side. Took to dealership and was told that the brakes hung up and I needed to replace brakes and rotor ($189). I was told that this is a maintenance issue and nothing was covered under warranty. I purchased the items and when they were going to be replaced we discovered the dust boot was pulled out of the caliper (which would have been covered under warranty) I contacted the dealer and was told that every 7000 miles the calipers would need rebuilt. I've been driving and grew up around garages and never heard of such a thing!

- Shippensburg, PA, USA

Jul 112013

Sonata 4-cyl

Driving on the interstate, 'ESC off' light came on; at the same time, the cruise control quit working and I noticed that the brake lights all quit working at the same time.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

May 022013

Sonata 4-cyl

ESC light constantly on no brakes lights.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Aug 032012

Sonata 4-cyl

During vehicle operation, several people passed me and made various hand signals and gestures (profane, specifically), as I apparently had lost functionality of my brake lights during my journey home from work. With no indication on the operator console to alert the operator that this had occurred, I did not realize that the brake lights were not functioning until I had arrived to my home (barely averting 2-3 rear end collisions along the way). When I pulled into my drive way and attempted to shift the car from drive (D) to park (P), I was unable to advance the shifter passed reverse (R). I had to place the vehicle in neutral (N) and engage the handbrake. I retrieved a flathead screwdriver to engage the shift lock on the shift console and placed the vehicle into park (P). After learning of this issue, I took the vehicle to the nearest dealership, who advised me that the brake switch was faulty and needed to be replaced. I paid to have it replaced. A short time later, I saw the press release from Hyundai that several vehicles were being recalled because of this exact issue, though, after contacting the dealership and Hyundai direct, I learned that my vehicle was not part of their campaign. As a degreed mechanical engineer, I maintain that this issue should be part of the recall and consider this to be a design fault of the vehicle. If I had been rear ended, I could have been met by a lawsuit (not to mentioned sustained an injury) because of not functioning brake lights. I've made several contacts with Hyundai and they will not budge on their stance that this is a design issue. There must either be a fail safe to ensure that the brake lights are functional or, at the very least, an alarm on the operator console alerting the driver that the brake switch has stopped functioning. I am very appalled with Hyundai's behavior and response to this issue.

- Columbiana, OH, USA

Jan 022011

Sonata 4-cyl

Heard squealing and grinding coming from rear brakes.replaced pads and lubricated pins, now 6/2013 hear the same noise again and this time premature wear of the pads and rotors are warped and falling apart. Also lug nuts are rusted and swollen (this at 45000) just under 14000 after last replacement. I will be taking it to a certified mechanic so the dealership cannot triple charge for work and tell me it is my fault. We'll see how long this repair lasts. Also had the car in for bouncing in the front...had tires rotated and rebalanced and still does it periodically the dealer said nothing wrong with the front end.

- Attica, NY, USA