2009 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Sonata:

2009 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Dec 262012

Sonata 4-cyl

Heard noise from brakes and thought it was front pads.changed front pads but it did not solve problem. Took back tires off to check brakes and much to my surprise there was hardly any pads left. Changed pads and that stopped the noise only to have to bring my car in for service do to the fact that the calipers were not releasing. They kept the car for 2 days and said that calipers were bad. They had to put new brakes on(mine were only on a week) turn the rotors and said my brake fluid was contaminated. 10 yr 100000 mile warranty plus bought extended warranty and I still had to pay for something they call normal wear. Nothing normal about that!also wanted to drain old brake fluid and charge $129.99 for something they had to do when they put new calipers on any way by bleeding the lines. Then to charge $110 to turn the rotors. I argued and everyone I talked to said this is guide lines we have to follow. I cant believe there is not a recall on this.I am not the only one that has complained about back brakes causing problems on Sonatas. They do not cover parts from normal wear if calipers didn't malfunction I wouldn't have had to have anything done to my car. They deny, deny, deny until someone gets killed. Could be another Toyota ordeal!

- Lansing , IL, USA

Jan 042013

I purchased my 2009 Sonata in March of 2012 at the local Hyundai dealership, with about 44K on it. Everything was checked off and confirmed as in good working order. A history report showed the brakes being replaced last at 41K miles. I took my car in for its 60K checkup and have been told the rear brakes are shot, and everything needs to be replaced...pads, calipers, rotors, etc. It hadn't made a grinding noise or anything at that point, so I decided to take it to a certified mechanic I usually go to. He confirmed everything and said all told the repair is going to cost me roughly $800!!! he also told me it was a big issue they see only on Hyundai's, and that there is no way the rear brakes should ever go before the front brakes need to be replaced because there is so much force that is needed to brake the front of the car compared to the rear. So did research and find out that this is a huge problem with these vehicles. I am not looking forward to replacing my entire rear brake system every 15-20K miles. I will be filing a formal complain with Hyundai as hope is if they want to keep their customers, they will do something about this all too common issue!

- Hartford, WI, USA

Oct 252012

I had my rear brakes and rotors replaces in February 2012 at around 60K miles. In October 2012 again my car felt like it was dragging and I heard the tell tale squealing of the brakes so I took it back to the repair shop to be told my rear brakes and rotors again were worn out and chewed through, and no that my calipers had seized and I would need to pay yet again to have this issue repaired. The mechanic made a comment that the only time he'd ever seen this before was from young people doing "power slides" on their cars, something I would never do (I am 28 years old). Upon research I find this is a well documented problem when searching online for break problems with this car for model years 2006-2010, enough that there is even a class action lawsuit in New York. Hyundai needs to recall and repair these vehicles as well as reimburse for the expense of fixing these up until they issue the recall.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Aug 092012

Sonata 4-cyl

Was driving and noticed a burning smell in the car. Stopped and could find anything wrong. So we drove home, at maybe 15 miles from home we noticed a scraping sound. And could not drive any further, being late at night we called a friend who has a tow truck and is mechanic. Told us the brake pads were worn and was scraping metal to metal.he towed us home for $25 when we got home we called roadside service they towed it napleton Hyundai in calumet city ill we purchased the car from, family hynudai 8101 w 159th St tinley park ill the vehicle was a used trade in with 39,736 miles purchase date was 2/18/2012. Upon inspection at napleton Hyundai we were told that the left rear brake pad had hung up in holder and that we needed to replace it and rotor. The right pads were fine and hardly any wear at all we were told the warranty does not cover that. Why should one side go bad and not the other. Unless there is a defect some where.

- Riverdale, IL, USA

Aug 012012

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased my 2009 Hyundai Sonata in August 2009. In December 2011 I took my car to the dealer for a routine oil change and asked that the brakes be looked at because they were squeaking and the pedal felt soft. I was not sure what the mileage was but I think it was at 34K. I was told that I needed rear and front brakes. I was told my rear brakes were completely gone and my front brakes were at 30 to 40%. due to financial reasons, I had them fix the rear brakes that day and took the car back to have the front brakes fixed in March 2012. Since that time the pedal is still soft and when I am driving in city traffic the car stops like I need brake, even though I have paid $400 in the last six months for new brakes. I have on more than one occasion had to pull off the road for fear that I would hit the car in front of me. After an exhaustive fight with the dealer I was basically told this was the design of the car. I consider this a huge safety issue and I guess it will be like the Toyota and/or Firestone incident. When someone dies because their car will not stop, then someone will take notice.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 032012

Sonata 4-cyl

In regards to my vehicles rear disc brakes. From my experience and education it is very unusual for your rear brake pads to wear out before the front do. Do to weight and inertial pushing harder on the front brakes ( this vehicle is much more heavier in the front than the back). My rear pads wore out before and from some research in forums on my model car others have had same experience. I believe there is a defect here and it might involve the proportioning valve sending too much pressure to the rear calipers in comparison to the front calipers. Might of be an adjustment in the valve that is causing issue. I would like an investigation into issue. I can provide assistance if needed in regards to vehicle as subject for testing. 2009 Hyundai Sonata gls 4-cyl automatic trans, disc pads front and back.

- Tracy , CA, USA