2.5

2009 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Sonata:

2009 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 102016

Sonata

The brake light switch is not functioning/broken causing the brake lights to stay on and ESC button is not functioning.

- Thibodaux, LA, USA

Oct 262016

Sonata

I have owned this car since July 2014. I purchased the car with 54K miles. I currently have 107K miles and it's October 2016.I have had to replace my brakes 4 times, specifically because the rear brake calipers fail causing brakes to lock while driving producing significant heat and damage to the brake components. The problem also cause a significant loss of fuel economy. It appears this is a common problem on this vehicle and a recall has been put in place starting in model year 2011. The recall needs to be extended to include 2009 model year vehicles

- Columbus Junction, IA, USA

Oct 122016

Sonata

Purchased my 2009 Sonata in February 2009, by mid July I had to replace the rear brakes. I was a little surprised since the car was new and only had about 5000 miles. I was told that I was required to check the brakes every 3500 miles and it wasn't covered under warranty, not even the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. It is now 2016 I have had to replace my rear brake calipers, pads and rotors every 6 months at a cost of over $400 every time. There is a great deal of grinding, heat and massive vibration in the rear while braking to this point. I have returned my car for both current recalls (not applicable to brakes). With so many models having the same issues, its very disappointing that Hyundai will not repair their faulty engineering and the NHTSA has not investigated this major safety issue with braking systems in these cars.

- Winchendon, MA, USA

Sep 012016

Sonata

Upon accelerating up an entrance ramp to the highway, car accelerated at an unreasonable rate of speed tried using brakes, but they were gone. Car hit speeds of 60/65 mph for more than 3 miles on a turnpike. Parking brake did not work, brake pedal was down to the floor and I could not control the speed of the auto. After traveling more than 3 miles, in the shoulder, I put the gear into neutral and the car began to slow down and finally stop. Towed from turnpike to dealership. Know there have been problems with the 2006 model, but is there anything similar to my experience with the Sonata 2009.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Sep 302016

Sonata

A few mile from home on rural highway drivers side rear brakes suddenly seized lurching the vehicle, transmission down shifted, engine RPM went way up. Upon arriving at home, brakes were smoking hot and on inspection brake pads and metal almost gone, rotor had thinned to 1/4 ", and metal powder was all over the rim, side and rear of car.

- Oxford, NC, USA

May 162016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at 10 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and a grinding noise emitted as the ESC warning light illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V113000 (exterior lighting service brakes, hydraulic ). on a separate occasion, the gear lever failed to shift out of park until after several attempts. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 20,000. The VIN was not available.

- Oneida, NY, USA

Aug 012015

Sonata

Had to replace brakes twice. After reading 200 complaints online, I have discovered it is an ongoing problem with all Sonatas. The new brakes have to be ground down to fit the Sonata.

- Katy, TX, USA

Feb 292016

Sonata

The rear brake calipers appear to be defective in that a high percentage seem to fail. This is the second caliper that has required repair/replacement, which necessarily also requires replacement of brake pads and rotors. It appears that the calipers stick in the extended position causing (in the best case) the rapid wear of the rotors and calipers, and (in the worst case) a heat build up, and a failure of the brakes. Internet blogs indicate that this is not just a problem with my vehicle but is systemic with Hyundai Sonatas, and particularly 2009 and later. I will note that Hyundai had a brake recall regarding calipers for Sonatas between 2011 and 2014, but that it did not extend to the 2009 Sonatas.

- Kensington, MD, USA

Feb 162016

Sonata

In February of 2015, less than 2 months after I purchased this vehicle used, I noticed the left rear tire was screeching when in motion like a belt in the engine would. I took it to a Hyundai dealership where they made me aware that the caliper had locked up and needed to be completely replaced & repaired along with a brand new rotor. I figured this was just a one time issue, until just this month (February of 2016) less than a year after repairing the caliper and brake system in the left rear tire, a strong burning smell was appearing periodically from the right rear tire after any drive. Took the car to the same Hyundai dealership who made me aware that the caliper was now locked up in the right rear tire and needed to be completely replaced and repaired. In both circumstances I was told that the vehicle was absolutely unsafe to drive off their lot and had to get a rental car to leave the car for repairs. I did my research... apparently this same make/model/year has given lots of people the same issues.. but no recall has been made. This is incredibly dangerous and in both circumstances I was driving the car with my car seat aged toddler in the back seat. Please help me get to the bottom of this!!

- Springfield, VA, USA

Feb 152016

Sonata

I have a major problem with my brakes. While driving they will suddenly go out. I have to press the pedal almost to the floor to try and stop the car. My car was repaired in September 2015, November 2015, December 2015 and my brakes went out again on yesterday, February 15, 2016 while on the highway. This is a serious problem and could end up being a deadly problem.

- Galveston, TX, USA

Dec 242015

Sonata

The car has had four rear caliper failures. These caliper failures have also consumed three sets of rear brake pads and two sets of rear rotors. The failure appears to be an excessive wear/slow to release condition that creates an overheating of the brake system, which has symptoms of a burning smell from the brakes and the rim of each wheel being far too hot to touch. Once we noticed the most recent failure, we noticed that the burning smell can start within about 1/2 mile drive.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Oct 042015

Sonata

ESC light on does not goes when using ESC button

- Lancaster, PA, USA

May 162015

Sonata

Hello, 2009 Sonata: The ESC off light comes on. If I shut the car off and re start, the dash light goes out sometimes; may return the next time I start the car. I heard that this is a common manufacture defect. Thank you.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Sonata

On July 1, 2014 the rear caliper on the driver's side of my car had seized, stripping the brakes to metal on metal. On August 30, 2014, the rear caliper on the passenger side of the car followed suit. Less than one year later I have replaced each of the rear calipers once again. I had the rear driver's side repaired on May 15, 2015, and the rear passenger side on June 9, 2015. I bought the car with just over 53,000 miles on it in 2013. Today, it has 101,000 miles on it and I have replaced four calipers, three rotors and five sets of brake pads. Each time my calipers failed I was placed in danger of total brake failure and fire, unknowingly. The mechanics who worked on my car have individually theorized that an engineering failure is the cause of this issue. Last week I contacted Hyundai for financial reimbursement for the repairs. The company stated that they could not reimburse me since the parts were not replaced with Hyundai factory parts, or repaired by a Hyundai certified dealership. I am aware that there was a class action lawsuit against Hyundai based on this issue in the state of New York. I have also read, and heard about many other people having this exact problem (rear caliper problem) in their Hyundai Sonatas, built between the years 2006-2010.

- Pequot Lakes, MN, USA

Mar 172010

Sonata

Returned car to dealer 16 months after purchase due to grinding noise from wheels. Brake calipers had locked up, destroying pads and scoring the rotors. Brakes serviced again in 2012 and 2013 for worn pads and grinding noise. Brakes failed again in June 2014 requiring new pads and rotors, front and rear. Returned car to dealer due to a burning smell in December 2014. Found right rear caliper had seized. Replaced caliper and pad. Again burning smell in January 2015. Dealer found left rear caliper had seized. Replaced caliper, pads, and rotor. Contacted Hyundai motor America who states this is normal. Also state that design defects are not covered under Hyundai warranty.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jan 242015

Sonata

There is a serious problem with the rear brakes on this car and the dealer charged me $550 to fix a problem that should have been covered by a recall as with some of the other Sonata brake problems.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 252014

Sonata

My 2009 Hyundai Sonata with about 46K miles had brakes begin screeching with a metal-on-metal sound when braking. In fact, the sound continued when accelerating after completing a stop. On Friday 12/26/14, the car repair shop replaced the pads and rotors. The next day, the brakes were quiet but overheated to such an extreme that there was a strong burning smell and the wheel could not be touched for fear of burning your hand. Returning to the car repair shop, one of the new rotors was completely black from the extreme heat. The pads, rotor, and calipers required completely replacing - even the new ones just purchased. This is a safety issue that Hyundai needs to take responsibility for, issue recalls, and pay for my repairs.

- Mchenry, IL, USA

Nov 052014

Sonata 6-cyl

I have owned this car for the past 50000 miles and have replaced the left rear caliper 4 times, right rear caliper 2 times. The rear calipers have a problem of sticking cause the rear brake pads to prematurely wear out. It appears that the protective rubber boot will pinch on the caliper and prevent it from releasing, Hyundai states this is normal. I have gone through also 4 sets of pads in the rear, and none in the front. As usual the car dealer admits to nothing, and will do nothing to help.

- Bridgton, ME, USA

Jan 112014

Sonata 6-cyl

In January, when driving our 2009 Hyundai Sonata, the rear right brakes made noise and were causing noise and excessive heat to come from brake area, where the wheel was too hot to touch and a smell of hot rubber could be made. When taken into the dealer for repair, the technician stated "found the rear brakes down to metal on metal. Causing the concern. Technician replaced the rear brake pads and right rear rotor." Seven months later in August, the same noise, smell and excessive heat happened again. Per the dealer "verified customer concern, technician replaced the right rear brake caliper as needed. Installed replacement pads, ..." we were fortunate not to be in any accident with these poor brakes. The dealer made us pay for both sets of repairs. This is a manufacturer defect, and should be a no charge repair.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Jan 102014

Sonata 4-cyl

I had my car towed to the dealership in January after my brakes failed on the way to work. By putting the brake pedal all the way to the floor I was able to stop the car. The dealership told me it was the right rear caliper that had seized. They repaired that caliper, but I expressed my concern for the left rear caliper being damaged and was told that it was "fine." Well a few months later, my left rear caliper has seized and I had it towed to the dealership. They tell me that it is no longer under warranty. I told them that this is a known issue and that I expressed my concern about the left rear caliper in January. They tell me that it is up to Hyundai to decide whether it will be covered or not. This is ridiculous! peoples' lives are at risk!

- Billerica, MA, USA