2.5

2009 Hyundai Sonata miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Sonata:

2009 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 042016

Sonata

I was driving on interstate 75 when the check engine light went on. The car lost speed gradually from 60 mph to 10 mph. Fortunately I was near an exit and was able to exit and stop at a hotel parking lot. This was a frightening experience since other cars were speeding around me at 70+ mph, then cutting in front of me to exit the interstate. The car has been at the dealer at least three times because the engine light came on with no other result. No reason was found for the problem. The car was towed to the dealer who was closed for the weekend so I'm without a car for the weekend and will have to miss work tomorrow. Unknown cause. I'm not able to scan documents.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Apr 082016

Sonata

Sunroof shattered while driving on the freeway. Nothing hit the car and I did not cross under an over-path. There was no warning, no sounds of wind or air entering the sunroof. Chunks of glass few off the car and could have damaged other vehicle or could have caused a wreck. It rained overnight after this incident and my cloth seats were soaked. I was finally able to get the sunroof repaired a few days later.

- Toluca Lake, CA, USA

Jun 102015

Sonata

I was driving on the highway and the sun visor that was up broke and swung down almost hitting me in the face. It no longer will stay up as it's intended and swings down blocking my view of the road when driving. It's a hazard and issue that I believe many others have as well.

- Powell, OH, USA

Mar 042013

Sonata

When driving my car will jerk like it is shifting rough. At first I thought it was the brakes grabbing but when I googled it I read that it could be ECM and tcm software problem. It jerks sometimes so badly that it feels like I have bumped into something. Called dealer but was told there is no recall for this problem. Was also informed that it is probably an update needed to the ECM and tcm software and it could cost $200. If that is the case it should be something that Hyundai covers.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Dec 312015

Sonata

Sun visor fell down while I was driving the car.

- Waterford Works, NJ, USA

Dec 012015

Sonata

We bought a used 2009 Hyundai Sonata and after 9 months the navigatio system went blank. Very disappointed. It flashes th 33rd Hyundai logo followed by a blank white screen. Tryed rebooting. $100 just to find out what's wrong. Now we find out there were problems from the get go with tho S system. Very distracting and safety issue at night. We bought an extended plan which does not seem to cover navigation.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Jun 172015

Sonata

Transmission issue: Experiencing a harsh down shift when braking. This recall is already know for the 2011 model in which Hyundai says it is a timing issue with the transmission and they have to reset it.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Sep 162015

Sonata

My driver side sun visor flops down. It looks good, is not torn or appear abused, but it keeps flopping down when I drive and the angle blocks my view. I do not know why it happened, I simply tried to push it into the position that suits me best and some plastic fell from the end piece where it attaches to the frame. I was parked at the time, preparing to drive.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Sep 032015

Sonata

While pumping gas it appears to be full (when it is not even 3/4 full tank) gass spills or spurts out on floor and my feet. Very strong smell of fuel in cabin when proceed to driv and clears out after maybe 5-10 miles

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Aug 282015

Sonata

Noticed on passenger side dashboard near the airbag that there was a long crack from windshield down entire front of dash area. Several weeks later noticed another crack just on the opposite of the dashboard in same area where airbag would be located on passenger side of vehicle. Took vehicle to Hyundai dealer to survey issue and inquire about safety issue. I advised them that I have a custom made sunshade which is used on vehicle daily for sun protection on the dashboard as well as entire vehicle.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Sep 242015

Sonata

When I went to start my car I could not start my car the key switch keeps locking and then the steering wheel will lock up when U are trying to get the key out and I was even pushing on the brake to get it to release the lock it took five minutes to finally to get the key to turn to start the car. I have had it one day where I could not turn the car off and the key was stuck in it and the dealer ship could not even get the car to shut off or get the key to turn it was also stuck in it. I'm worried about being somewhere where I can't start the car or the key stuck in it and it's locked up all together for good I've heard there been complaints about the same problem and if it's gonna be fixed or not

- Miami , OK, USA

Mar 022015

Sonata

I have noticed my paint on my Hyundai Sonata for 2009 has been chipping away and flaking off when ever it rains and this should not be doing this and it's a newer car and I also notice I'm not the only person going through this. This car gonna look ugly when all the paint that's chipping off and flaking off when nothing been hitting the car to cause the paint to flake off and it's a newer model. Something should be done about it and it should not be doing this at all. I don't understand why it's doing this I only had the car for a year now this is not right. Also my button for the gas door quit working on the second day I got it and I also notice other people has the same problem and I also know I have another problem that also been addressed too my door unlocks when I put my car in park and it shouldn't unlock cause I'll be sitting there and someone can just open the door if I was being hijacked and it shouldn't be doing that either and unlocking when U put the car in park this needs fixed for safety reasons too

- Miami, OK, USA

Aug 092015

Sonata

Driver side sun visor would not stay up, causing it drop in front of eyes. Moved to side, then forcibly removed it when I reached my destination. Appears to be same problem related to models from previous years, but 2009 not included in recall.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 012014

Sonata

On July 1, 2014 the rear caliper on the driver's side of my car had seized, stripping the brakes to metal on metal. On August 30, 2014, the rear caliper on the passenger side of the car followed suit. Less than one year later I have replaced each of the rear calipers once again. I had the rear driver's side repaired on May 15, 2015, and the rear passenger side on June 9, 2015. I bought the car with just over 53,000 miles on it in 2013. Today, it has 101,000 miles on it and I have replaced four calipers, three rotors and five sets of brake pads. Each time my calipers failed I was placed in danger of total brake failure and fire, unknowingly. The mechanics who worked on my car have individually theorized that an engineering failure is the cause of this issue. Last week I contacted Hyundai for financial reimbursement for the repairs. The company stated that they could not reimburse me since the parts were not replaced with Hyundai factory parts, or repaired by a Hyundai certified dealership. I am aware that there was a class action lawsuit against Hyundai based on this issue in the state of New York. I have also read, and heard about many other people having this exact problem (rear caliper problem) in their Hyundai Sonatas, built between the years 2006-2010.

- Pequot Lakes, MN, USA

Jun 202015

Sonata

I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. It has about 140,000 miles on it and is admittedly well outside of any warranty, however, I believe this case requires an exception. About a year ago, the paint started chipping off my car. Not little scratches but fairly large spots. I contacted Hyundai who said it was outside the warranty, and I let it go. Last Saturday, during a hard rain, the paint literally fell off my car. My husband drove to columbus that day, and when he arrived, the paint had vanished from the entire roof. Patches came off of the hood as well. And the trunk is beginning to peel. I am told this is a delamination issue related to metal paint preparation. While I realize that the car is outside the warranty, I stand by my statement that no matter how many miles a car has on it, the paint should not come off in the rain! Hyundai refuses to even refer the case to a supervisor. Normal wear and tear happens, and I accept that. But this is clearly a factory defect, and I think Hyundai should be responsible for fixing it. Since Hyundai is totally unresponsive, I am seeking others to with this problem for a more formal approach to have this resolved.

- Alexandria, KY, USA

May 012015

Sonata

When car is placed in drive the gear shift display will show random gears. It will cycle through all the gears until you select to use the manual shift (+/-) to ensure that you are in the proper gear. This has been an issue on others car in the Sonata line up just not this year. This problem needs to be addressed and corrected. I am taking my vehicle to the car dealer today to get this problem fixed.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jan 072013

Sonata

The button to open the gas cap does not work.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jun 012012

Sonata

Right rear brake makes pulsating rattle sound. Seems to happen more after several miles of driving in warm, dry weather. Technicians can't find permanent cure but it did go away for awhile after the rotor was resurfaced. However, the noise has returned. This is the same wheel on which several thousand miles ago the caliper seized causing me to have to replace the entire brake on that wheel. The rattling sound has been going on for a long time, and the mileage I entered for this complaint is a sheer guess.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 112013

Sonata 4-cyl

Driving on the interstate, 'ESC off' light came on; at the same time, the cruise control quit working and I noticed that the brake lights all quit working at the same time.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Oct 012010

Sonata

I started my car and as I started to turn the steering wheel so I could pull out of the parking space smoke spewed from my dashboard. I looked up under the dash and noticed the wiring harness in flames. I extinguished the fire. I then had the car towed to a Hyundai dealer. They examined the damage and said tat it would cost me $4000 to repair it as I needed a new wiring harness. Hyundai claims it wasn't a manufacturers defect, even though the car was purchased brand new and therehas been no alterations or modifications, the same wiring harness is used in Kia which has a recall on a wiring harness. I am in possession of the burnt harness and it clearly has Kia written on

- Pawling, NY, USA