2009 Hyundai Sonata suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Sonata:

2009 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Feb 062016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that when the vehicle was taken for routine maintenance, the technician discovered that the sub frame, control arm, sway bar in links, and the rear assist arms were severely corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 43,600.

- Charolette, NC, USA

Jul 192013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 41,900.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 302014

Sonata 4-cyl

My steering and brakes suddenly locked up. I had my kids in the car and lucky that it happened right by my house. No traffic. Even the suspension was affected.I immediately got kids out of the car and contacted my insurance to tow the car.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 172014

Sonata 4-cyl

Passenger rear upper shock tower was filled with(very rusty) water from hole in a the wheel well.

- Carol Stream, IL, USA

Nov 052013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V354000 (suspension). The manufacturer was contacted and stated that the part would not be available for approximately three months. The contact stated that the rear of the vehicle was shaking abnormally and was concerned that the vehicle would not be repaired in a reasonable time frame. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000.

- Mars, PA, USA

Jun 302013

Sonata 6-cyl

The vehicle was aqua planning, the driver lost a complete control over the vehicle. The car was bouncing between road sides, left and right - 3 times. The car hit the gate rails 3 times. None of the air bags came out and the seat belts appeared not to be locked at the moment of accident. As a result the passenger's body moved freely in the car and hit the left rib and internal organs, and hit the right side of the face, including cheek bone and nose. The passenger's face was severely bruised and swollen. Besides, both driver and passenger had a whiplash.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Nov 032011

Sonata 6-cyl

In spite of following manufacturers guidelines for tire inflation and following proper rotation timetables and having the car aligned this car eats tires. I have replaced all four tires 5 different times in less than 100,000 miles. I purchase premium, name brand tires with a mileage rating of 60,000 miles. In 2011 I took my car in for alignment at a Hyundai dealership. They informed me that "all lower control arms, cam bolts and bushings seized due to rust; can't align properly. I had a platinum extended 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty through Hyundai. The dealership called to advise of the extended warranty. The adjuster came and inspected and "extended warranty denied coverage as rust was the cause, they will not pay for repairs." The dealership argued that this is the northeastern part of the us and we have snow and the roads are salted in the winter. Dealership felt this should have been covered and tried again but coverage denied. As the owner I called the about the extended warranty and was also denied. Because correct alignment is not possible due to rust issues there is a handling/stability problem in the vehicle caused from rusted alignment components. I have followed proper scheduled maintenance but due to the propensity of rusting this Hyundai Sonata has deteriorated worse than comparable automobiles therefore causing a safety concern and a resulting loss of value. It is interesting to note that this car is exposed to northern salted roads minimally. I leave the North the first of January and head South and return in early April and have done so for the past 3 winters.

- Erie, PA, USA

Feb 052012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph over a road bump, the contact heard a vibration from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle would then become unstable and the contact would have to hold the steering wheel with force in order for it to remain straight. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised the contact that the front axle had become extremely loose. The dealer vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 55,603 and the current mileage was 66,578.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Jan 182011

Sonata

Complained about suspension to dealer on my 2009 (11500 miles) when purchased (11/01/2010) they said it was ok. Brought the car to another dealer with complaint on suspension and road noise from bumps in road. The test drive revealed a link on the sway bar was replaced. No improvement in noise from bumps. They said this is normal. Still not happy with either of the dealer tests and repairs.

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

Oct 162008

Sonata

Bad pull to the left replce front strut, spring noises while driveing, tires feathering, no stability while driving, any kind of bumps you are all over the road, shimmy in steering wheel, with two passengers in the back seat the car lifts up in front and stability while driving is even worse.this has been occuring since it was new, easy to loose control of vehicle, replaced rf strut, balanced tires, numerous times on the alignment rack, dealership acknowledges all tires feathering but say they cant fix

- Madison, WI, USA

Jul 292009

Sonata

Strut noise sounds like wore out on new 2009 Hyundai Sonata gls. Fear they may brake and cause me to have a wreck. Loud noise over bumps under car.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Apr 042009

Sonata

2009 Hyundai Sonata sounds like it needs new shocks/struts right off the car lot noticed as soon as we drove it home from signing the papers - less than 20 miles on it tech said many had complained about the same thing but no fix he told me to complain to Hyundai called and they said sorry that's the way they are that its operating as designed - just received recall notice for my 2002 Sonata - suspension is faulty must be replaced safety hazard - wish I had known before I bought the 2009. Regret purchase.

- Roscoe, IL, USA

Jan 192008

Sonata

2009 Hyundai Sonata sounds like it needs new shocks/struts right off the lot car has less than 300 miles on it went to dealer the service tech said many had complained about the same thing but no fix he told me to complain to Hyundai called and they said sorry that's the way they are that its operating as designed this will be my last Hyundai.

- University Hts, OH, USA

Oct 092008

Sonata

Loud noise over bumps. Sounds like something is loose.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Aug 062008

Sonata

I bought a new 2009 Hyundai Sonata limited- I took it the Hyundai service in yonkers NY to test drive my new car. It seemed to me the car had bad front shocks absorbers. After being driven by one of their service men he agreed that something was very wrong. I was told to bring back the car when the new shocks arrive. The manager and his service men were very courteous to me and handled the situation very professionally. Until the time the new shocks arrive I will not use the car, because I consider it a danger on the road. I'm hoping that will be the answer to the problem.

- Yonkers, NY, USA