6.0

2009 Hyundai Sonata transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Sonata:

2009 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Nov 122012

Sonata GLS

Annoying that the transmission issue would only present itself on cold mornings and would be gone once the transmission was warm. Difficult to have the mechanic duplicate the issue without leaving the car overnight.

- , Ogden, UT, USA

Jul 112011

Sonata GLS 2.4L 4 cyl

Have had the 09 Sonata for just over a year, bought it pre-owned with approx 35k miles on it. A couple hundred miles ago it started having a rough times shifting. It's an automatic, I've been driving this car for a year, i know how it normally acts. When accelerating it will get into the 'red-zone' before it shifts up. And this is at normal level of usage. It's not being accelerated in a manor that would necessitate this. It does this for each time it shifts until you're into fifth gear, and then it hesitates when slowing down, the RPMS will drop below 500 before it'll down shift. I have recently had to use the shiftronic override to get it to shift as it should.

Thankfully it's under warranty, but this is really very rough and unsafe to drive. It's at the local dealership, however I feel as if I'm going to be dicked around. Being how they have a D rating with the BBB and the guy said he's never heard something like this. Thankfully I can take the diagnostics test to another dealership if it's not fixed. I'm really worried that this investment may not have been a wise-one, and am strongly considering not purchasing another Hyundai even though I would consider myself a loyal Hyundai owner, since my first and 2nd vehicles have both been Hyundai's.

- , St Louis, MO, USA