2010 Hyundai Sonata body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Sonata:

2010 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Oct 222014

I went to open my left rear door and the handle broke off in my hand. I do not even use this door on a regular basis and I can barely lift a 10 pound weight so I know I was not exerting extreme force. This is a major safety issue because if someone was trapped inside of the car someone on the outside could not help them out. It is $150+ to have each door handle replaced. Many people have been having this same issue with multiple door handles breaking so now I'm just sitting here waiting for another one to break.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 172014

I have had numerous issues of continually broken door handles for my 2010 Hyundai Sonata. Three of the four handles have broken since 2012 and one has broken twice. To date I have visited two dealerships at 8 times in total for these handles breaking. I was told by the service technicians that there is a plastic piece inside the handle as well as end cap that keeps breaking. Invoices are available upon request.

- Largo, FL, USA

Sep 202014

Sonata 4-cyl

The driver side from door handle fell off when trying to open the door.

- Hicksville, NY, USA

Sep 012014

I have had my 2010 Hyundai Sonata since 2011. When I had 60 thousand miles on the car it was under warranty so I had 2 door handles that had to be replaced due to them braking off in the same area. They replaced them free for me but now I have another handle that is broken off. Has there been a recall on them breaking if so I would like to know why I was never sent any information on that. When I talk with the people at the dealership one dealer tells me they have had problems with the 2010 Sonata door handles, but another dealers says that they haven't. what is the truth. They break off in the same area and this time I am not under warranty so they want to charge me $310 to replace the handle. That is so outrageous. Also the door handle on the driver's inside pop and you have to roll down window and out from the outside. I have decided that I will be selling this car and will not buy a Hyundai again and will not advise anyone else too. To me these are easy fixes that the dealers are charging you outrageous prices for.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Sep 062014

Sometime w/in the past 2 years, I checked your website for "any" mechanical complaints that had been filed about the 2010 Hyundai Sonata gls. There were 44 (filed nationally) for broken door handles and sticking brake calipers. Well, yesterday (9-6-2014) as I was entering my vehicle in the afternoon, the driver's side door handle "broke completely off." I'm retired, single and very rarely have passengers in my vehicle, thereby little use of the other door handles......just 4 years of using my driver's side door. I'm elderly, not aggressive or rough on equipment, nor in a hurry. It was just a normal pull on my door handle and it snapped completely off. I've even been more cautious about opening my door since I read about prior complaints in the past on your website. Well, I just thought I'd add my "two cents" since doors handles seem to be one of two common problems w/ my model. Overall, when I last checked your website and saw only 44 complaints for the 2010 model, I was impressed......but never expected it to ever happen to me. Bad luck I guess. Hope the dealership honors the warranty when I call them tomorrow. I bought the car new and really like it. It has performed well and I'm very proactive when it comes to maintenance.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 182014

On vacation, my husband attempted to open the left rear passenger door and the handle fell off in his hand. I took the plastic handle and inside plastic parts to the dealer to repair. Was told that the handle was not covered under manufacturers warranty and the cost to replace was $238. Reading the other incidents reported to NHTSA, it is obvious that what happened to me is not an isolated incident and needs to be addressed by Hyundai. I have had many cars with plastic handles, none of which have fallen off in my hand in 45 years of driving! I am concerned that having Hyundai replace the handle with the same parts will not solve the problem, as other people have had them replaced only to break again...or other handles will come off. This is not only an extreme inconvenience but could potentially be a safety hazard as anyone stuck in a Hyundai Sonata is not accessible with that door in case of accident, fire etc.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 022013

Sonata 4-cyl

Driver's side front door handle fell off in hand. In August 2014, passenger front door handle fell off. No excessive force used in either incident.

- Lawrence, KS, USA

Aug 142014

The drivers side rear outside door handle has broken off by just pulling the handle.

- Bridgeton, MO, USA

Jul 032014

Sonata 4-cyl

Passenger side rear door handle was broken (tear off) when my 11 year old kid opened the door while it is in my garage. Looks like to me door handles made with inferior material. I would like to bring this issue to your notice. Hyundai should replace the parts and labor at free of cost. I have preserved the broken door handle part.

- Dublin, CA, USA

Jul 172014

Sonata 4-cyl

Door handles on my 2010 Hyundai Sonata have fallen off. The door handles are the driver door and the rear passenger door. There was no excessive use or force on them. The just break off. This is unsafe if I get into an accident as it will make it tough to get people out in an emergency.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Aug 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

My back passenger door handle on the outside has come off. As I'm reading online im seeing this is a common issue so I'm trying to comprehend why nothing is being done about this. People can't afford to pay $200 every other month to fix this issue!!

- Snellville, GA, USA

Aug 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

Driver's side door handle just popped off for no reason!!!!

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Apr 092014

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that all four door handles fractured. As a result, the contact had to continuously leave the window down in order to open the door from inside the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 08/28/14 updated 08/29/2014

- Westminster, TX, USA

May 162014

When opening the passenger door, the door handle came off in my hand. Seems that this is a common problem with this car. Hyundai replaced it under the warranty but what happens then? in case of an accident, emergency personnel may have to evacuate someone from the car. They should be able to open any door.

- Catskill, NY, USA

Jun 202014

Sonata 4-cyl

The exterior door handles fractured on the front driver side door while opening the door in the morning of 6/20/14 at around 6:40 am while the car was in parking and the engine wasn't started. The door wouldn't open from the outside, but opens from the inside.

- Palisades Park, NJ, USA

May 202014

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the exterior rear driver side door handle fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 80,000.

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 142013

Sonata 4-cyl

Approximately a year ago my passenger door handle just broke off I called dealer to seeif there was a recall notice on that and there was none, now on 5/24/2014 my driver side door handle broke off I now I am not the only going threw this issue please help us this is wrong and need to be corrected. Thanks

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 252013

The above incident that I'm reporting is the second door handle to break on this vehicle. The first incident was the driver door handle which broke sometime in 2012. The outer handles just break and cannot be used to open the door. The door can be opened from the inside. Just yesterday, 5-5-2014, the rear passenger door handle on the driver side also broke in the same manner. The first two were covered by the warranty, which I'm told expired at 60,000 miles. My car has 68,000 miles now. So a total of three door handles has broken, one to go. It is repairable, but there is a 3 to 4 week wait, for the parts, for it to get painted than get installed. With all the complaints I have read on the internet, this problem should be recalled and metal door handles be installed.

- Kealakekua, HI, USA

Feb 122012

Sonata 4-cyl

My door handle on passenger will not open from the outside I have to get in on drivers side and open from inside. My drivers side door will not lock I had to open my drivers side door from back seat because it would not open when I mashed the door opener on remote.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 152012

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that she attempted to open the rear passenger's side door and the handle disconnected from the door. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repair and the failure recurred with the front drivers side door. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Smyrna, DE, USA