2010 Hyundai Sonata body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Sonata:

2010 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 032016

Body has rusted thru on multiple occasions on my car. Both rear doors rusted beyond repair, and needed to be replaced. Both front doors rusted thru and were repaired. Now rust hole developed in the engine compartment in area of hood hinge. This is a structurally reinforced area of the car but only a patch was put over rust hole to make repair. This work was all done under warranty. I contend that the last repair was not properly done, and that the car is unsafe. Hyundai denies my claim. The car was looked at by the dealers own body shop and they claim that the area under the dashboard is all rusted and will cost nearly $10000 to repair. Hyundai claims the car is not defective, even thought there are internal spots where no coatings were applied to the steel. I contest that the company is only protecting themselves and have full knowledge that the car is defective. The warranty will expire shortly and then, they will be off the hook for any future repairs caused by their negligence while assembling their vehicle. The vehicle was purchased new at coastal Hyundai, which also owns cocoa Hyundai.

- Melbourne Beach, FL, USA

Sep 082016

Exterior door handles have broken 6 times on several doors. Hhtsa may feel this is cosmetic but emergency personal may have difficulty making entry in an emergency situation. According to my mechanic, he sees this in more 2010 Hyundai's than any other vehicle. Simple web search found 100S of other complaints. At one point, 3 of 4 of my handles were broke at once. Average price to fix one door is $250. There should be a recall for this!

- Stuart, FL, USA

May 012016

After reading several other owners complaints about the handles breaking on the 2010 Sonata I too am filing a complaint. So far we have had 2 door handles break when attempting to open the door to load/ and unload groceries. The first one was replaced by the dealer and now we face this problem again. I feel there is a structural defect with the materials that needs to be addressed. This should not be happening to so many people and Hyundai needs to address this and fix peoples failing equipment/ handles at no expense to the owners.

- Bellingham, MA, USA

Feb 152016

Driver front door handle fell off in my hand.2 weeks layer same thing happened on passage front door.imagine if this happened to a parent who needed to get child out of car quickly.Hyundai acknowledged that this is a defect in design.should be recalled.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Nov 262015

Vehicle was stationary (parked in driveway). The door handle (right rear) came off in my daughter's hand when she tried to gain access into the back seat. No one could get into the car through that door until the handle was fixed. When we reached our destination, she had to exit the vehicle using the left rear door. We notified global auto mall, the dealership where we bought the car, because I had paid extra when buying the car to get coverage for 10 years or 100,000 miles. Global auto mall told us the door handle was not a covered part of the warranty! moreover, they had to send the door handle out for a painting job. So we had to make another appointment with the dealer's repair department to have it fixed.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Aug 212015

One night, without using force, the front passenger handle on my 2010 Hyundai Sonata came off while parked on a flat. The driverʻ's side, outside, backdoor handle came off after college class, a month or so later, while parked, when a classmate attempted to open the door, again not using excessive force. A few weeks later, the passengerʻ's side, outside, backdoor handle came off when I went to retrieve my groceries while parked, also not using excessive force. Which stopped the use of this vehicle for a road test and getting my safety check. All 3 handles I had to pay way too much for and had to pay to have them fixed just so I could get my safety check before the end of the month (4/30/2016), and now can be used for a road test. Ridiculous prices for hollow plastic handles. I hope these new handles last as long as I own this vehicle! and harder for me because I live in Hawaii. The prices we have to pay for living/driving in paradise is crazy!! but to hear this year, make, model has more issues I have to worry about from reading them on this site is nuts!! is there a recall on this vehicle/ in Hawaii?

- Hilo, HI, USA

Apr 282016

Within a period of about 6 months, three of the four door handles have fallen off, including two that came off within two weeks of each other. This occurred when the vehicle was stationary. The handles hadn't been previously damaged or involved in any accidents, and we don't treat them roughly. The handles have fallen off the front driver's side and both rear doors. The rear driver's side door is almost never used, so I'm disinclined to attribute the problem to wear and tear. When the rear passenger door handle came off, the plastic snapped apart. We paid to have that handle replaced by the dealer. The rear driver door handle, which came off two weeks ago, remained intact, but a triangular metal piece came out when the handle fell away. The front driver's side door handle came off today when my husband had the car, so I haven't seen its condition. Since his key fob no longer works, he now has to get into the car is by climbing in the front passenger side. Given that we've lost three handles in so short a time, it appears the parts are inferior and have reached the end of their life.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Oct 302014

Over the period of less than one year all four exterior door handles have broken off when the door was opened! this began in the fall of 2014 when the car was 3.5 years old. The first two handles to break were the left side handles (within one week of each other)... which for us were the most used door and the least used door. We are certain that these handles broke due to a defect, and not due in any part to us.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Mar 012016

When I pump gas even when on a empty tank, the gas will splash back all over the place almost like its full but when it's really empty, also the ESC will turn off and on by its self from time to time, had too replace the fuel pump at 90,000 miles, now I'm getting a code PO449 even with new gas cap.. last but not least my paint is peeling off my car, especially the hood and roof. Noticed Hyundai sheds there paint,

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Oct 202015

Door handle breaks. Passenger side door handle is rarely use, maybe once a week at the most on average. The front passenger side broke and was fixed under warranty. Now the rear passenger side also broke.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Jan 242016

Door handle on the outside of the front passenger door broke off when a passenger went to open the door to get in the vehicle while parked on a city street. Appears to be made of cheap brittle plastic. Was opened normally without excess force. Vehicle has not even had very many front seat passengers in its service life thus far. A clear safety issue should someone need to get into the car quickly. No excuse for such shoddy materials/engineering design.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Dec 282015

Both rear door handles broke off. Both handles broke in the same place weeks apart from each other. The car was in park. I was opening the door like normal with no excessive force on both handles. How can I get my children out of the car in an emergency when the handles break off" especially when the child lock is engaged. The door won't open from the inside or out. Will Hyundai wait until children die to act on this complaint"

- Edmond, OK, USA

Dec 012015

Outside door handles just fall off. My driver and passenger side door handles both came off with barely touching them.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Oct 012015

Both handles on the rear doors came off within a two week period without any extraordinary effort or abuse. In both cases the vehicle was stationary and in park. Attached are photos of both door handle locations, one side without the handle (driver's side) & the second with the handle held in place with duct tape (passenger side). Neither door is accessible from the outside, rendering it unfit to Transport any passengers in the back seat. Regardless of the number of passengers, this is clearly a safety issue (in an emergency, it wouldn't be possible to remove either the driver or front seat passenger through the rear doors.) the third photo shows the current odometer reading of 49,205, which is less than 25,000 miles more than when I purchased the vehicle from a Hyundai dealer.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Nov 242015

All four outside door handles have broken off or are not functioning leaving the only way into the car is to leave window down to open from inside or crawl through the trunk of the car to open doors from the inside. All handles broke when the door was in the process of being open. The vehicle was stationary and were broken during the past 6 months. The car has 80,000 miles.

- Wells, VT, USA

Nov 042015

This has happened to at least 3 Hyundai Sonata 2010 autos of people I know. When attempting to open the door to enter the car the door handle just comes off in the persons hand. In my wifes case luckely she was on our driveway and fell backward onto grass and was not injured. If this happened to someone parked on a busy street they could fall back into traffic. In looking at the detached handle it looks like the poor quality plastic interior just cracked. As I said this has happened to three people just in my circle of friends so I am sure it is more widespread.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012015

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the dashboard fractured due to defective material causing the front passenger side air bag to be exposed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 76,537.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 172015

Reached to open back passenger door and it fell in pieces in my hand. This will be the second time this happened to me the first time costing me $125.0. I retired a.could months aback and cannot afford this but I feel it's.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Jul 262015

2010 Hyundai Sonata. The rear passenger driver side door handle just snapped off. I went to open the door in a normal fashion and the handle stayed in the open position so I had to push it back in to the closed position. When I pulled on the handle again the handle fell off in my hand. The rear door never did open, now I need to reach through the driver side door to open the rear door from the inside.

- Greensboro, MD, USA

Dec 222014

Have had all 4 outer door handles break off of vehicle.

- Clermont, FL, USA