CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata accessories - interior problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Feb 102012

Sonata

Bluetooth never initializes when vehicle is cold. Must warm up (30 minutes) in order for it to initialize.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Feb 212011

Sonata

The horn on the 2011 Hyundai Sonata is so weak it is inaudible while in traffic. The dealer ordered a new one but to no avail. My Sonata was built prior to the Sept. 2010 switch to a dual horn. The old horn is a hazard and offer no protection to alert drivers as to prevent accidents. There should be a fix but dealer advises there is none thus far.

- Lenoir City, TN, USA

Feb 182011

Sonata

It happened in one afternoon in a company parking lot when all the employees were leaving for the weekend. The exit line was backed up and while waiting in line for traffic to clear, another employee backed up her car from the parking space. Although the car was moving slowly, the driver was paying attention to the other cars parked on sides but failing to assure that there is enough space behind. Immediatly I noticed that there is a potential for a collision and I activated the horn for at least 15 seconds. Unfortunatly the horn was not loud enough for the other driver to hear it (by her own admission the horn was innaudiable) and the colision could not be avoided. As a result the cars front right fender was slightly bended. The damaged resulted was valued at $708. Nevertheless, since I purchased the car there were at least five other incidents in highway traffic when the horn was not loud enough to alert other drivers.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Feb 112011

Sonata

Vibration in steering, grinding noise in transaxe, low tire pressure (by dealer), refusal to perform 3,750 mile maintince secdule (dealer refused).

- Mcadoo, PA, USA

Aug 082010

Sonata

Sometimes while driving the radio will cut off and all of the presetting get erased. When the heater is on there is a burning smell. The horn is very weak. Front end has a loud rattling noise. The seatbelts seem loose.

- Randolph, MA, USA

Aug 272010

Sonata

I was cut off by a driver making a left turn into my path at an intersection who failed to stop at his stop sign. I tried to get the drivers attention by laying on my horn but the horn on the 2011 Hyundai Sonata is not even audible in traffic and does not provide any warning to other drivers or pedestrians. The very weak, ineffective horn is a safety defect and should be replaced by an effective horn.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Apr 292010

Sonata

We took delivery of our 2011 Hyundai Sonata on 4/29/2010. As we were driving home a car on the lane next to us on my right hand side started shifting onto my lane. I blew the horn but he still cut me off. At the light I asked the person who cut me off if he didn't hear me blowing my horn at him and he said no I am really sorry but I didn't see you and I didn't hear your horn either. When I got home I got into my other car and started it with the ac on and no radio I asked my wife to press the horn on the Sonata and I can barely hear it and we were just sitting in our driveway with no road noise and my radio off. I looked into this issue online and others have the same issue with the horns on their Sonata. Hyundai also admitted that the horn was weak but I still see no change or recall. Please look into this matter before it cost someone their life or a real bad accident.

- Cape Coral , FL, USA