Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata electrical problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 10 of 10)

Nov 012010

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the horn was not loud. The contact stated that the manufacturer did not install a dual horn which could cause an accident beause another drive might not hear the horn. The current and failure mileages were 700.

- Gibsonia , PA, USA

Mar 092010

I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The horn is a real safety hazard. You can hardly hear it inside the car, and in traffic, other cars can not hear it with all the road noise.

- North Olmsted, OH, USA

Oct 152010

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata has been failing to start over the past 2 days. The problem is inconsistent, it at times takes 5 minutes to start and at others it takes 20 minutes before the car turns on. After several attempts to start the car, a display message appears near the odometer stating that you must press brake to turn vehicle on (this model uses a push start button). The problem is that the brake pedal locks in place and cannot be pressed down.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 182010

Over the past 3 days I have been unable to depress the brake pedal and start my car with the electronic starting system. The problem is intermittent and the time frame varied from 2 minutes to 15 minutes before the car would start.I called my dealer to make a service appointment ant the service department commented they never heard of this before but I see other complaints online. Besides the danger of being stuck somewhere I am concerned that the braked may not work for stopping or a fire if it is electrical.

- South Setauket, NY, USA

Apr 082010

To the person who had starting problems with the 2011, I agree. Mine has been in the dealer's shop over eight times with the same "intermittent" problems that they can't solve. Won't start, or delays starting with the new electronic start button. Left me in a dangerous situation in a parking lot 30 miles from home.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 302010

My 2011 Sonata has 7600 miles on it. The problem began around 5000 miles, but has gotten progressively worse. Upon trying to turn the car off, the engine shuts off, but the key is stuck in the accesory position. I can restart the car and drive, but I can't get the key out. It just stays either in the accesory or the on position. I've had to unhook my battery to keep it from dying because I can't get the key out. At first, I could just move the gearshift out of park and back into park, and that would usually unlock the key. As time went by, the problem went from happening once a week, to once a day, to nearly every single time I drive the car. Also, once it started happening more frequently, I couldn't troubleshoot to get the key out. I would just have to wait, sometimes up to two hours, and try again. Eventually, the key would just pop right out as if nothing had been wrong in the first place. Very frustrating and time consuming. The car is currently at the dealership getting a new ignition. We'll see how it works.

- Urbandale, IA, USA

May 182010

2011 Hyundai Sonata gls automatic transmission. Problem with ignition key. The key will not go past acc to the lock position to allow the key to be removed. Followed directions in manual to push the key in at acc position, but the lock mechanism does not move. Happens every other day. Have restart the car and move it and try the process again to get key to move into its proper position (lock) to remove key. This has happened to both myself and my wife. Taking car to dealership. Impossible security situation as cannot leave key in vehicle.

- Singer Island, FL, USA

Apr 262010

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 16 days old, 2018 miles: Car has an "intermittent starting problem". it has left my wife stranded at work 3 times, two of those times in a deserted parking lot after hours, once at the dealer when I was called to pick it up. It has now been out of service for 18.5 days since April 26, 2010. It has been taken to the dealer four times since April 26, 2010 and remains there at this time. Dealer has confirmed battery is always at full charge, they have changed both starter system relays, replaced the starter, checked transmission neutral position sensors. Safety issue: Leaving a female driver in an unsafe and unprotected situation. Due to the non starting issue.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Mar 202010

2011 Hyundai Sonata gls automatic transmission. Insert key to start engine. When I want to turn off engine, the key will not go past acc. I push in the key and try to turn key into the lock position, it will not go into the lock position. I have to fiddle around with the release switch, and shifter on the shifter arm. Eventually I can get the key out. The engine does shut off, but can't leave car, because it can be started again. I can't leave the car because the car can be started without me being there. This failure happens almost every time I try to turn off the car. I brought the car back to king Hyundai fl, twice, without them fixing the problem. I am now waiting for them to replace some parts to the shifter arm. If that does not work, I will invoke the lemon law.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA