Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata electrical problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 4 of 10)

Jun 092015

Intermittent flashing and blinking dashboard and exterior light while turn signal or wipers are engaged after this incident happens the battery is drained of power. Battery test full load and alternator test good. The battery is wearing down because of this malfunctioning electrical problem. Last night (8/21) something new happened. When I went to start the car I found it dead again; yet the " lights on" indicator light was visible on the dash buy the light switch was in the off position. I have others witness this crazy malfunction over the past 4 months and yet the Hyundai dealership cannot replicate the problem and therefore will not replace the combo switch (as diagnosed by my corner mechanic)

- Lansdale, PA, USA

Jul 242015

On a couple of separate incidents, the gear disappear. I was driving on D, the gear was on D, but after several miles the gear disappear. I pulled over to park the car, I put the car on reverse, but the gear was not visible. I turned the car off and turned it back on, I could see the gear then. This has happened a couple of times. A couple of weeks after this happened, the car did not start at all. The car ended up starting after it was towed to the dealership. Apart from this issue I've been at the dealership for several other issues. Starter, axles, the key ignition switch, sensors, etc. It's been very time consuming and expensive.

- Cicero, IL, USA

May 192012

While driving my 2011 Sonata, the windows fog up to a dangerous level where I can not clearly see the road, especially the front windshield. This happens at various times of the day and night in cold, hot, humid or raining, etc. Weather conditions. I am most affected at night while returning from the gym and I have to travel through winding, dark, deer infested wooded roads. No matter what temperature setting I place thermostat, it fogs! I have taken my car in several times with the same complaint and the dealer is aware and says multiple people have complained but they have no solution. Dealer says to match outside temp with inside car temp and leave A/C on. I followed the advice, I turn on the A/C in the winter and the heat in the summer and it is very uncomfortable but still doesn't effectively solve the dangerous problem. Outside temperatures reach 100+ degrees in atlanta and turning on the heat after working out makes a bad situation worse. I feel people can or will die or be seriously injured if the problem isn't corrected by the manufacturer / dealers....updated 10/05/15

- Fairburn, GA, USA

Jul 232014

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at 25 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the horn functioned intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 232015

In the evening of the 22nd the traction control light came on and would not go away when I pressed the button also the car would have a long lag between pressing or releasing the accelerator and the car responding. The next morning when I began driving again the traction control light did not come up but when I began to accelerate and got to 20mph the car suddenly stopped accerating and the engine went idle until I released my foot from the pedle and reapplied it when it would go again with no additional issues. This pattern repeated itself each time the car dropped below 20 mph.

- Clemmons , NC, USA

May 302015

Riding down the interstate look through my side mirror and noticed my tail light hanging off and it fell off before I could stop to check it, and when I did stop I noticed the one one the opposite side was about to do the same.

- Cusseta, AL, USA

May 082015

Vehicle stopped functioning at 60 mph on an interstate on a Friday night. Had to coast to side of road dodging other cars. Tried to restart vehicle with no luck. Electrical started going haywire. Interior lights started flashing as well as dashboard lights. Smoke was coming from hood of car. Within 20 minutes a road Ranger checked the status of the car and said all fluids looked good. Battery tested good. But was unable to get vehicle to start. Two hours later it was towed to a Hyundai dealership. Was told it appears to be the engine but was told they replaced the starter first because they thought it was that. Finally, told it was the engine and it would need to be replaced. Thankfully it is still under warranty. It's last service was the middle of April. They told me that the steering is possibly going on it. They reported a knocking noise. Nothing has been done to steering as of yet but now that they will have car for up to 3 weeks will probably have them check that too especially after reading many of the complaints on this and other websites.

- Zolfo Spring, FL, USA

Jan 012015

Sonata 4-cyl

I am using the same key that I have used since the car was first purchased new. Several times per week, when I stop the car and shift it into park, I am unable to remove the key from the ignition. The steering wheel is not locked, the car will start fine, and the car will run fine---I am just unable to remove the key from the ignition when the vehicle is turned off an in park.

- Fairport, NY, USA

Jan 012014

This car is equipped with a smartkey. Recently it has developed a starting problem that is directly related to the outdoor temp. It has been serviced several times by the local Hyundai dealer. They have replaced the shift interlock switch and the brake light switch. It is below zero this morning (2/21/2015) just one day after the brake light switch was replaced, and again the car refuses to start. When the start button is depressed everything lights up on the dash board but the engine will not even turn over, it is completely dead. The engine imobilizer light also comes on after attempting to move the shifter and the brake pedal becomes nearly impossible to depress! the car will be out of warranty soon. This needs to be resolved. The car has refused to start dozens of times with the very same issues. The car has left me stranded (at home to date) numerous times. When it warms up outdoors later in the day and the temp goes up to 25 - 30 degrees the car starts virtually every time and will start without a problem for the rest of the day. I have researched this problem on this website and other websites and push button ignition problems are very common on this car. Hyundai needs to come up with a proper fix for this problem. Numerous people report having the same switches replaced as on my car their problems were not solved either. It appears that Hyundai has never been able to come up with a proper fix for this issue or it is just to costly to implement. They have continually swept it under the rug.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Oct 122014

Sonata 4-cyl

Go to unlock car with key fob or push button entry switch, it does no work, unlock car manually with key and then try to start the car and dash indicates key not detected. The car is not detecting my key fob, whether in or out of the vehicle. I have to manually start the car by inserting fob inside the middle console.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Dec 202014

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the doors locked independently and without warning. The contact stated that when the driver side door was opened, the alarm would sound, the vehicle failed to start, and the anti-theft mode activated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 21,000.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jun 142012

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. In addition, the contact stated that the brake lights and headlights failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the stop brake lamp and the starter motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Long Beach , CA, USA

Jan 012015

Sonata 4-cyl

2011 Hyundai Sonata defect in the light stem switch that causes headlights and dash lights to flicker the consumer stated he began to experience occasional episodes of flickering headlights, especially when switching between high and low beam.

- Aurora, MO, USA

Dec 242014

Oil light blinked on and off twice. Car was making a knocking noise. Stopped to check oil; absolutely no oil in the vehicle. No sign of leak; no smoking; no other indication of problem. Put 3 quarts of oil in the car. Knocking sound was worse. Drove car home and haven't driven it since. This is one of many problems I've had with this car. I get regular oil changes. I haven't had the car looked at yet due to cost and out of warranty. I've read other complaints of loss of oil resulting in complete engine failure. There was absolutely no indication that the oil was even low which I attribute to the faulty electrical system since I've had problems with that as well. It's my opinion that this car is unsafe to drive. I've read this year model has over 900 problems while other year models have average of 230 something problems. Obviously, this car should be completely recalled and replaced by Hyundai dealer.

- Vinton, LA, USA

Nov 012013

Sonata 4-cyl

Push to start does start when it's cold outside. I have to unlock the car manually since the car won't even open with the remote. I then have to struggle while in the car trying to push the start button and step on the brake. Sometimes it turns on, other times it doesn't. its been happening since last year. And already happened twice this week.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Oct 302013

I have had several occurrences where it feels as if my car is going to stall. I attempted to start my car this morning where it failed to respond. The starter was replaced in 2012, the battery replaced 2013 and now Hyundai claims it is my starter lever that also needs to be replaced (2014). I have read numerous complaints from other Hyundai owners complaining of the same issue. Now, I have to pay over $300 to have the starter lever replaced which will now be my 3rd issue since I have had this car. Also, I did suffer from the rear brake light issue that was recently recalled and have had to replace my back light several times before the recall was initiated. Due to my continuation of brake light issues post recall change, I am told that the lamp has melted due to the possibility of the bulb overheating the lamp. I do not see how any of these issues are my fault and believe that Hyundai should recall, and replace all of these malfunctions.

- Upland, CA, USA

Oct 182013

Push start button failed to work.

- Okc, OK, USA

Sep 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

My wife and I came out of the store, unlocked the car, put the key in and nothing happened. No lights, no noise, no crank, absolutely no response to turning the key. I then removed the key, put it back in, and again nothing. I then pulled keys, got out, locked the and then unlocked the car and then successfully got the car on. Today, Sept. 3, my wife had the same thing happen, but it took much longer until she could get it to go.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Jul 152014

After stopping and putting vehicle in park, electrical system does not turn off. I get a message saying put vehicle in park. After several attempts at turning engine on and off, car shuts completely off. This has been an intermittent problem for about a year. At first it seemed to be caused by something resting against the transmission lever (e.g. a piece of paper of a dvd). Now, it seems to be independent of any object resting against it.

- Evanston, IL, USA

Aug 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

Hello, I'm not sure if this qualifies, but this vehicle has a major defect in the compressor kicking on for air conditioning (per my own experience and examining forums of other users). The A/C does not come on intermittently, especially when the car hasn't been turned on for 3 or 4 hours. This can be a major safety concern in warm areas.

- Statesboro, GA, USA