2011 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 242014

Sonata

My vehicle hyndai Sonata 2011, crashed into a parked construction in a parking lot at the speeds of up to 30 mph. The crash damaged basically the whole front side of the driver side and damaged the front two wheels. The front windshield was damaged as well with cracks on the shield and it also knocked out the rearview mirrors. I was in the driver seat when the crash happened and my head crashed up against the steering wheel, which left a little soreness. What I was wondering is with such an impact and such damage, how did the airbags not go off". my head slammed pretty good up against the steering wheel and a little more impact I could've been severely hurt. So I just want to ask why did the airbags not work"

- Breckenridge, TX, USA

Feb 072014

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician informed the contact that the engine seized and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was scheduled to have the engine replaced when it became available. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 46,405. Updated 04/04/14 the consumer stated after driving less than half of a mile the vehicle's engine shut down without warning. The dealer advised that the engine locked up due to excessive heat. The dealer would not offer any assistance. The vehicle was eventually repaired. Updated 04/14/2014

- Clute, TX, USA

Jan 242014

Sonata

I was driving my 2011 Sonata on I-95 North in md near baltimore. I was in stop and go traffic at 8:20am, when with out any warning, my car shut off. I looked down and all the lights on my dash were on. I coasted to the left shoulder and I tried to restart it and it wouldn't. I waited for 30- 40 minutes in rush hour traffic on the left shoulder of 95 for someone to come and jump start my car. It started immediately when it was jumped, with no problems, with no lights on the dashboard indicating any problems. I was about 1/4 mile from work. Once back in traffic, my car turned off a second time. Again, I was able to get it started with a jump with no problem. When it started the second time we heard a clunking noise and drove it 3 blocks to my office. No dash warning lights came on. I contacted my dealer, annapolis Hyundai and they said I would have to have it towed in. I contacted Hyundai's road side service and they towed it at no cost to me. I was asked for receipts and service information immediately before my car was looked at. After 6 days and continual calls, they advised I would need a new engine. As my car is only 3 years old and the engine is under the 100,000 mile warranty( it has approx. 64,000 miles on it), they advised they would have to send documents in to Hyundai and they would have to approve. My car has been there for 16 days and I have been refused a loaner car until Hyundai honors the 100,000 mile warranty. My car had originally been scheduled for service on 1/27 as I was having problems with the car not starting on at least 3 occasions and it needed to be jumped started(with 2 times by geico). During this time, there was never any indication there was a problem as no warning lights came on my car. This car is unsafe and should have a recall on the engine. A car should never stop running while it is in drive especially in traffic.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Mar 192013

Sonata

2011 Sonata turbo purchased brand new by a family member maintained and garage kept. In March of 2013 and with 76,364 miles on the car I experienced what Hyundai categorized as a catastrophic engine failure. There was no indication of any problem, no warning lights, the engine spun a rod bearing and threw a piston rod through the block. The vehicle was towed to a dealership, assessed and determined that the engine would require replacement. During the repairs, a long block engine was put in the vehicle and when cranked at the dealership, vibrated so bad that they determined the replacement engine was not functional. A 3rd engine was placed in the car and at 85,960 miles on July 29, 2013 the 3rd engine did the same thing as the first engine, no warning lights, no indication anything was wrong, spun a rod bearing and threw the same location cylinder piston rod threw the block and in this catastrophic engine failure, the car caught on fire. Fortunately it did put itself out. Vehicle was towed to a different Hyundai dealership, assessed and determined an engine replacement was required. Hyundai is still unable to determine the cause for both catastrophic engine failures. 24 hours after the vehicle was returned w/ replacement motor, my garage floor and driveway were covered in motor oil. I was told by the dealership to fill the oil level and drive the car in for assessment. It was determined that the oil sending unit tube was not properly threaded into the engine block, causing the leak. The dealership said the engine came from the factory that way although they did make the repair. Now the car is out of warranty (surpassing the 100,000 miles) and I am left wondering how long this engine will last and how much a replacement will cost me. After consulting an attorney Hyundai is only willing to settle this for about $1500 (not including legal fees)

- Hamilton, TX, USA

Nov 282013

Sonata 4-cyl

On thanksgiving evening November 28, 2013 @ 7:30 pm, my 2011 Hyundai Sonata that I purchased new, caught fire on I 95 while driving it. The car has only 30,350 miles and is properly maintained and garage kept. The vehicle had the oil and filter replaced 5 days earlier and there are no signs of any fluids leaking in the garage. There were no warning lights that came on and the temperature gauge read as normal until just before the engine shut off (then all the dash lights came on) and we pulled over onto the shoulder of a busy highway at night. I raised the hood, smoke poured out and I could see small flames under the engine. Minutes later the flames were 20 feet high and the entire car burned until fire trucks and police arrived on the scene. The vehicle is a total loss.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Feb 082012

Sonata 4-cyl

I bought my 2011 Hyundai Sonata back in February 2012 from enterprise car sales and ever since I bought it I been hearing a knocking sound in the front end of my car while im driving from maybe 10mph to 40mph. But on the highway when I reach speeds over 50mph I don't hear anything. I have taken it to the dealer numerous of times I have had certified mechanics check it and they told me it could be one of the motor mounts but the dealer never wanted to change it they kept telling me the car was fine. Now its going to be a year later and my car has that same knocking sound in the front but now its extremely loud. I can feel the knocking through the steering too so now I don't know what to do.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 042013

Sonata 4-cyl

I am reporting a third incident that occurred after the date of the earlier two incidents I previously reported in my earlier complaints. After the previous incident, Hyundai burlingame (1025 rollins road, burlingame, ca 94010), installed a new engine and installed a new fuel intake valve. On October 19, 2013, the second repair work was completed and I picked up the car. On December 4, 2013, I was driving the car on us 101, northbound traveling approximately 70 mph when the car began to make loud clanging noises and violently shake and shudder and the engine light came on. I was able to pull off the highway just as the car again experienced a catastrophic engine failure. As the engine failed, the power to the steering went out and this made the car difficult to maneuver. The car was towed to Hyundai burlingam and is awaiting repair.

Nov 242013

Sonata 4-cyl

No oil in the engine. No indication of oil leakage. No low oil pressure or low oil light indicating there was a problem with low oil. The Hyundai dealership has told me I need a new engine. The was no indication that there was a problem with the car until the car suddenly stopped functioning. This is a problem with this automobile. I've seen the same type of complaints on the internet. The Hyundai Sonata should be recalled to fix the malfunctioning warning system indicating that there is a problem with low oil pressure or low oil level.

- Pipersville, PA, USA

Nov 092013

Sonata

The car would not start, battery is three weeks old. The car was brought in to the dealership by tow and was repaired and returned to me on 11/11/2013. I was told at the time that it wasn't the starter, it was the starter lever. The evening of 11/11/2013 the car wouldn't start on the first try, but did after the second. On 11/12/13 the car failed to start until the fourth try. I called and the dealer said to bring it back in, I did on the morning of 11/13/13, in preparing to leave for the dealership from my work location the car again failed to start three times and finally started on the fourth try. No car in my family has ever had a starter issue like this in a car that is less then three years old.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Oct 212013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated the engine would have to be replaced due to oil sludge. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000.

- Alta Loma, CA, USA

Oct 122011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while accelerating from a stop, the vehicle stalled. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer replaced the throttle, which did not remedy the stalling failure and the contact took the vehicle back to the dealer. The dealer replaced the fuel system and tightened the oil pan however, the repair also did not remedy the failure. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer a third time however, the dealer could not detect a code regarding the stalling failure and stated that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The contact called the manufacturer, who sent a technician from the regional office but the technician also could not determine a defect after driving the vehicle for 14 miles. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Berkley Heights, NJ, USA

Sep 112013

Sonata 4-cyl

The auto on several, sporadic occasions had an acceleration problem, while sitting still in traffic. While sitting still in traffic, the rpms would start to increase, going to 6000 rpms before I geared it back down and shut the engine off. I took it too the dealer on several occasions, they kept it couple of days each time, they told me, they could find nothing wrong, and go ahead and drive it, if it happened again, bring it back, sending me away in a unsafe vehicle. The last time, date mentioned above, a service technician test drove my car, the acceleration problem occurred, and he totaled out my vehicle. I was not notified until 2 days later that my vehicle had been in a accident. I was told, it happened the night before, I was notified on Sept 13, 2013, that would have the accident occurring on Sept.12,2013, when in fact it occurred on Sept. 11, 2013. I have searched and found on several occasions that this vehicle, did indeed, have acceleration problems, which the dealer had informed me, had never happened before. The vehicle, should have been diagnosed and the problem fixed, the first time, instead of the dealership, sending me away each time in a unsafe vehicle. Very unethical of the dealer, for telling lies about the car, and, the correct date the incident occurred, not notifying me for 2 days, that it occurred, and.not fixing the problem, as should have been expected of them, the first time it occurred, and sending me away each time in a unsafe vehicle.

- Alpharetta , GA, USA

Oct 032013

Sonata 4-cyl

I am reporting a second incident that occurred after the date of the first incident I previously reported in my earlier complaint. As noted in my earlier complaint, the car had experienced catastrophic engine failure. I had the car taken for repair to the Hyundai licensed dealer and automotive repair service center operated by Hyundai burlingame (1025 rollins road, burlingame, ca 94010). The repair center explained the engine would have to be completely replaced and so would the fuel intake valve. A new engine and intake valve were installed in the car. On 10/2/2013, the repair work was completed and my spouse picked up the car and returned to our residence. On 10/3/2013, my spouse was driving the repaired car to work during the morning commute on southbound I-280 in the bay area when the car began to make loud clanging noises and violently shake and shudder. My spouse was able to pull of the highway just as the car again experienced catastrophic engine failure and the engine began releasing very heavy dark smoke. As the engine failed, the power to the steering went out and this made the car difficult to maneuver. The car was towed to the nearest authorized Hyundai dealer and service repair center, stevens creek Hyundai (4425 steven creek blvd., santa clara, ca 95051). Stevens creek Hyundai opened the hood of the car and examined the engine. Steven creek Hyundai told my spouse there was a high pressure gasoline leak and gasoline had been spurting on the hot engine and also that there was some sort of catastrophic engine failure.

Sep 202013

Sonata 4-cyl

My spouse was driving on interstate 280 southbound in the bay area during the morning commute when an engine rod came loose and punctured a whole in the engine causing catastrophic engine failure. The engine failure led to loss of power to the steering and brakes and the car coasted off the interstate exit ramp and eventually came to a stop after the emergency brake was engaged. The car has consistently received regular maintenance from the local authorized Hyundai dealer and car service provider. There was absolutely no warning before the engine flew apart. This was a very dangerous incident that could have led to the death of the driver, any passengers, and other drivers and passengers of nearby cars.

Aug 062013

Sonata

Car would not start when I pressed the brake and start button. Tried several times and nothing. Brake was very hard and after 10 minutes I gave up and drove my truck. This is about the 4th time this has happened. I will take to dealer. From reading the blogs sounds like the brake light switch will have to be replaced.

- Cheltenham, MD, USA

Apr 142013

Sonata 4-cyl

On 4/14/2013 and again this morning 05/28/2013, my vehicle fails to start. The engine does turn over so this is not completely dead like other reports. Both last time and this time the situation is the same: 1 take the car for a short drive (~1 mile) 2 park on an incline in my driveway. 3 a few hours later, get in car, push the start and the engine just turns over - does not start. The first time, I tried to start the car until the battery died - I then called Hyundai and they sent a roadside service person. He jumped the car and it started right up. Very frustrating. I assumed it was bad gas and that my tank was very low (red lamp was on for low fuel) also note: Car was on a flat service at this point. So today: I called Hyundai dealer 45 minutes ago, and am waiting on a callback from the service department. Im sure just to have me get roadside assistance again.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Apr 102013

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased/ picked up my certified 2011 Hyundai Sonata on 4/4/13. On 4/10 the push start failed. I had to call the Hyundai service department and was walked thru the over ride process to get the car started. Immediately made a service appointment for this issue and took it in on 4/13. On this day it was discovered that there was an issue with the thermostat and they needed to correct it, I authorized it and it was all covered under the warranty. There was no out of pocket expense. I picked my car up that same evening and drove it home and no where else for the rest of the weekend. 4/18 about 22 miles down the highway the engine light comes on. 4/19 took it in, I was told the thermostat part that was installed was obsolete and they had my car for 6 days waiting on the new part and doing installation. I was provided a rental car at $60+ out of pocket cost for insurance. Picked up my car 4/25 and drove it about 175 miles ( it is 126 miles round trip from home to work) and 4/26 the engine light comes on again. I sit here now with no Hyundai because it is at the dealers getting repairs again!!! again!!! opted not to use the rental car service this time as it would cost more than $50 per day out of my own pocket for an uncertained amount of time. Nothing but problems and I havent even made my first car payment yet. And on 4/24 the day before I pick my car up for the second time, a recall was issued for the brake lamps...really Hyundai"?? really??? what makes this car certified? what was the inspection exactly that occured to certify this vehicle?"

- Moreno Valley , CA, USA

Apr 212013

Sonata

I leased this Hyundai Sonata in 2011 brand new and after 3000 miles began having issues with the car not starting by using the start button. The workaround was to place your foot on the brake and hold down the push button start for 1 minute and the engine would start. This was intermittent. It would happen frequently and then suddenly be better for long periods of time. Finally at 18000 miles went to start the car and everything was dead. It drove ok the day before (not like a car who's battery was bad). The car is being towed to the nearest dealership where I happened to purchase it. In addition to the start issue and the completely dying part (and it was not able to be charged by ordinary means) the car also has a low tire pressure warning that stays on regardless of how much or how little air is in the tire. That remained for 4 months and now seems to be staying off. The car also drifts to the left when driven (it has done this since I purchased it). I had several recalls fixed early on at the dealership, but it did not correct the drifting issue. There is also a rattle in the dash which began at 16,000 miles. The back door handle (behind the driver's seat) handle was stuck in an outward position and the door would not open. It finally opened one day and now the handle is back in place, but a small black piece hangs down from the handle. I have read on the internet several complaints that are the same or similar as all of my issues.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Feb 252013

Sonata

I bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata in March of 2010 brand new. I have had problems with the tires had to be replaced after year two, and when they were being replaced they said that the air valve on the tire was corroded when I went to Hyundai to get the part replaced they said that it wasn't corroded it was broke off because there wan't a cap on it and it got wet. So, they said that I had to buy a new one, and they would send it up under the warranty and I would be refunded that did not happen. After that my push start would not start when I pushed it. I would have to push it about three times and then it would finally start. I took it to Hyundai, and had it replaced not under warranty any more is what they told me. So I paid the $287 for it. After I got it home and went into grab something came back out and it did it again. Took it back to gateway Hyundai in richmond to have it fixed and they said it needed a nother starter. I didn't have to pay for the part but I was going to have to pay for the labor. Nope didn't get it fixed. I would just start it three times instead. Then I had to replace the brakes last year 2012 because it wore only on one side, and now the engine blew a rod. They claimed that it was because of not having enough oil in it, but then told me I had a quart to much of oil. Now really does that make any sense? this is absolutely ridiculous. Then they told me I could trade it in for a new Hyundai but would have to put $5000 down on it which is convienantly the amount they quoted me to have my engine fixed because they said it wasn't under warranty because I hadn't kept all my receipts for oil changes for the past three years.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Mar 312013

Sonata 4-cyl

Brake pedal sensor failure resulted in a car that wouldn't start. The key-less entry depends on the brake pedal being depressed, otherwise the ignition will not turn over. Under normal operation when the driver is trying to start the car, the key must be inside the vehicle, the driver must depress the brake pedal and then press the ignition button. The car normally turns over. In this situation all systems function as if the car does not know the brake peddle is being depressed. The battery has full charge, all accessories function normally, but the ignition will not turn over. Because there is no way to manually start the car, the car is rendered completely useless.

- Salem, MA, USA