CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata fuel system problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 072013

Sonata 4-cyl

Since July 2010 this car continually gets an odor of gasoline inside. I have had it to the dealer and each time I am there they report that no one knows what the problem is. When this smell gets bad it gives me headaches. This is both a health issue and potentially a fire hazard. Just a few minutes ago I once again called the dealer, conicelli Hyundai of conshocken pa, and they said there was no solution yet. I would be surprised if others have not complained to you as there are many comments on-line about this situation.

- Ambler, PA, USA

Jun 192010

Sonata

1) within three months of buying this car, starting issues began. Generally on the second start of the day. First start of the day usually involves high engine revving somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,500 RPM. After a short trip, ignition will no click over attempt to restart. Usually second or third try result in a start. Despite dealer replacement of starter, fuel pump and battery, the problem continues periodically. 2) rear brakes needed replacement at 24K miles. Wear was uneven: Left brake was grinding into rotor and right brake was only about 50 percent worn. Had dealership check for possible faulty calipers, but they claimed they found no issues and would not cover under warranty. In contrast, the car still has the original front brakes.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Oct 022012

Sonata 4-cyl

Beginning of October 2012 I kept hearing rattling, clanking noise coming from under the hood. I took the car to a Hyundai dealer where I live October 26, 2012. They checked out the car and told me because the engine light didn't come on, they couldn't find a code to fix the car and to bring the car in when the engine light comes on. I kept driving the car and hearing the same noise. I took it to meineke to get an oil change November 14, 2012. Drove the car approximately 3 weeks and still heard the noise. I took it to another Hyundai dealer. They said the car didn't have any oil and meinke forgot to put the drain plug back in, therefore it messed up the engine, and that's why I heard the noise. I kept telling them, I heard the noise before the oil change. I took it back to meinke and showed them the paper Hyundai gave me, they gave me my money back and apologized. Still hearing the noise, I took it back to the first Hyundai dealer and they said it was engine problems and I had to pay the diagnostic fee because my warranty was voided due to meineke. I refused to pay the fee because my car is under warranty. They wouldn't give me my car back until I paid, we argued back and forth and I called the police and they gave me my car back, but told me not to come back on their property. I then took the car to where I purchased it and same thing. They said to try a gas additive 3 times, if that doesn't work, get an oil consumption test in my area where I live. I need my car fixed and no one will fix it. Hyundai blames meineke and meineke blames Hyundai. They're saying because of no engine light on, they can't see the problems, but one dealer said it was the engine another saying gas problems. Bottom line, if the first Hyundai dealer had kept my car, I wouldn't be going through this. How can I resolve this?

- Center Cross, VA, USA

Jun 052012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate as the contact depressed the acceleration pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer inspection where it was advised that there was a failure with the fuel pump. The fuel pump was replaced. The contact stated that the vehicle surged when driving and pulled to one side abnormally. The vehicle was taken to dealer who stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 22,000 and the current mileage was 28,710.

- Edmond, OK, USA