CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Sep 082016

Sonata

Passenger airbag lite is on "airbag off", expensive repair and many people have reported the same problem

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Aug 252016

Sonata

Owned car for a year now and on he 25th of August I returned to my vehicle and started it up still in park position all lights illuminated and all except the airbag light on the dash went off. I turned the car off waited a minute and tried to turn it on again and the light still stayed on it has been on ever since.the next morning I called the dealership and my main concern was that the airbags were still working but the person working told me the airbags would not deploy in the event of an accident. I am very worried this is not the only issue I have with this vehicle and I am a single mother with 2 young children anything can happen I do not feel safe in this vehicle.

- Portland, OR, USA

Sep 082016

Sonata

After having a recall performed campaign 143 I was told that the steering coupling and the clock spring was bad. I left the dealer and drove back in because I heard a noise when I turned the steering wheel with the engine on. Was told it was the coupling. Looked on the web at home. This is a common problem. Should be a recall.

- Waurika, OK, USA

Sep 022016

Sonata

SRS indicator light is illuminated on instrument cluster. SRS may be disabled

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 012016

Sonata

My airbag light went on at around 90K miles. I replaced the clock spring on the steering wheel but it did not fix it. I found that there are hundreds of complaints about the airbag light for the same 2011 Hyundai Sonata (see website www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2011/Hyundai/Sonata/airbag). the dealer says that it is not under warranty and that there are no recalls for it. I am afraid that the airbag will not deploy in an accident. Please help.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 072016

Sonata

Clock spring assembly inside steering column to deploy airbags is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced in order for airbags to deploy.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Aug 292016

Sonata

Air bag light stayed on on dashboard and dealer said it was a clock spring but I have never had an issue with an air bag in any car I have ever driven and feel it was defective

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 062016

Sonata

Sensor for airbag is on and I don't know why. Airbag has never deployed or tampered with.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Aug 012016

Sonata

Takata recall issues with steering after recall-steering coupler issues with seatbelt lamp after recall-clockspring issues with lighting-interior malfunstions issues with turbo feed line issues with A/C lines leaking

- West Warwick, RI, USA

Aug 262016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While the vehicle was stationary, the air bag indicator illuminated without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 94,044.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Aug 262016

Air bags

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 212016

Sonata

When I get in my car to crank it up, I noticed my airbag light would come on and then go off and then come back on and stay on. It does not matter if I am driving or sitting in my car while in park. God forbid if I get into an accident, my airbag might not go off. Also I have read other complaints for the same year vehicle as mine dealing with the same issue. There need to be a recall on the airbags. It could be a faulty sensor or something.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Oct 222014

Sonata

My car would have trouble starting, I would turn on the car but the engine wouldn't start, the lights and radio would turn on and nothing. After the starter being installed on 10/22/2014 the car was fine but then it happened again this year and had the starter replaced again. Then it happened later again and finally had the neutral safety start inhibitor switch replaced. My airbag light turns on and now I have to replace the clockspring. I have other issues with this car like for example my front drive axels being deformed which causes a rattling nose when I turn while driving. I would hear clicking noses on the steering column and had the steering coupling replaced. So far as of 8/12/2016 I have had 15 recalls and I have one to do next week. I'm driving a death trap.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 082016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact observed that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clock spring needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 82,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 062016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light flashed and then remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 032016

Sonata

My SRS airbag notification came on out of the blue. It has not gone off as of yet.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 292016

Sonata

Takata recall air bag light stays on. Dealer says it's a faulty clock spring and will cost $340 for parts and labor. This can be deadly if in a crash and air bags don't deploy!

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 252015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 45 mph, the air bag and check engine warning lights illuminated. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was operated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag module failed. The cause of the check engine warning light illuminating was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 24,000.

- Seaford, NY, USA

Jul 042016

Sonata

Pin problem and dealer says no recall.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 162016

Sonata

I purchased my car new 2011 Sonata in Dec. 2010 and now my airbag light stays on. I have not been in any accidents....... what!!!!

- Lusby, MD, USA