Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Jul 252015

I have been having problems with my airbag light. Initially when I would start my car up the airbag warning light would come on but then it would go off after a couple of minutes. Now it has come on and will not go off. It has been on for about two months. I went to the dealership and they informed me that it was not under warranty. I have been looking online and seeing a lot of complaints about the air bag light. Is something going to be done concerning this problem?

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Oct 312015

Horn has been replaced three times in the last year and a half and has gone out again. Also airbag indicator light on dash board is lit, Hyundai states faulty indicator light and no safety issue. The horn and the airbag are all located in the same place, there has to be an issue.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Oct 012014

The drivers side door is loose. Took it to dealership last year and they stated that my car was not included in door latch recall. Airbag light came on out of nowhere. Called N they stated this is not a recall. As of this past summer, the steering wheel clicks every time I turn it. I'm going to call them tomorrow because I read where there were recalls on that, but I never received notification. I drive 45 minutes to work and back Monday through Friday and do not want to take a chance on being in an accident. I don't understand how my car shows the exact same signs of recalls but every time I call or take it there, my VIN number was not included.

- Washington, GA, USA

Sep 112015

The steering wheel is loose and making a clicking noise. The airbag light is on.

- Hacienda Heights, CA, USA

Oct 152015

My main airbag light has came on and now stays on as if there is a problem with the air bags or sensor. As soon as I turned my car on and my husband and I were driving down the street to get the kids, the light came on for short while then went off and came back on not too long after, and since then will not go off at all. I have read many complaints online regarding issues with the air bags or air bag sensors. Some reports ended in a crash and air bags not functioning properly since their light came on. To me this is a safety issue, should not be held reliable for such an important part of safety within a vehicle. The air bag issue really needs to be looked into.

- Garland, TX, USA

Oct 172015

Exhibiting exact same issue as described in NHTSA campaign number: 10V-070 Hyundai dealer said my car was built in March and will not make the repair. Also exhibiting issues described in NHTSA campaign number: 10V-457 and dealer refused to make repair. The excessive shaking in the steering wheel has caused my SRS (safety restraint system) to kick a code that says my steering wheel air bag may not deploy in the event of a crash. SRS lite stays on. Hyundai dealer refused to make repair on NHTSA campaign number 13V-113. I currently have a piece of folded cardboard zip tied to my brake switch. Car exhibiting issues relating to NHTSA campaign number 14V-434 even after having the dealer use their (clip) remedy.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Aug 122015

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the passenger air bag sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Margete, FL, USA

Aug 312015

Airbag warning light remained on after starting the vehicle recently. Vehicle was diagnosed on August 31, 2015 by local Hyundai dealership (where purchased). Results of diagnosis stated on service description "code in acu for OCS module. Recommend replacement of passenger seat bottom". it was stated that with the airbag light on, the service department could not guarantee airbag would work. So we immediately ordered recommended airbag parts. ( front passenger seat bottom) at a major cost of $1,246. And labor cost of $165. Parts came in and were installed on September 9,2015. Airbag light is off. This safety system needs to be investigated for root cause and corrective actions. With only 81,319 miles, this falls way short of long term performance.. with safety of my family at stake with this issue I had no other choice but to get this issue fixed. Plus it would not pass state inspection. Last I have seen several other reports of airbag lights on for Hyundai Sonata 201, same problem.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Mar 022015

Front passenger weight classification sensor failure. Dealership says the only why to fix it is to replace seat for $1800. Dealership cannot tell me if SRS will work when needed. After doing so research online this looks like a big problem with hyundal cars throughout many model years. Hyundai has failed to remit this problem and is selling vehicles to the public with faulty air bag systems.

- Hanford , CA, USA

Jul 232014

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at 25 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the horn functioned intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 192015

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag light intermittently illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000. Updated 6/8/15 the consumer also stated a month after getting an oil change, the oil was low and she had to add more oil. Updated 06/11/15

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Jan 292014

Sonata 4-cyl

Sensors cause air system light to illuminate. System needs to be reset at dealership to clear. Technician said airbag won't deploy while this fault occurs. I have had this issue 4or 5 times. When I google Hyundai Sonata airbag issues I see many similar experiences with other people. This could be a potential safety hazard. I was told it was caused by a seat sensor. Yet under warranty they did not replace. No car is out of warranty.

- Belford, NJ, USA

Feb 022015

2011 Hyundai Sonata was on 2nd recall for transmission. The air bag light came on and would not turn off...updated 02/12/15

- West Covina, CA, USA

Nov 232012

I have had so much warranty work done to this car, that I will never buy Hyundai again! I would estimate around $10,000 worth or warranty and recall work has been done, not including the other issues that are not under warranty. My airbag pressure is too high so the light is on, on my dash. It's a $300 job and then there is some sensor for the gas that causes the check engine light to stay on. That's another $200 to get fixed. Also the motor in my driver side window is going out. Seems like there's just one problem after another. I'll never will buy Hyundai again and can't wait until I can afford to trade this Sonata in.

- Midland, TX, USA

Dec 152014

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, another vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle and the seat belt became unlatched. The air bags also failed to deploy. The contact sustained neck, back and shoulder injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 3/13/15 updated 03/26/15

- Tickfaw, LA, USA

Dec 142014

Sonata 4-cyl

Airbag sensor has been illuminated stating that there is an error with the airbags. Concerned that airbag wont function in case of an accident.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Dec 052014

This vehicle has a manufactured defect and has been rejected by a state certified state inspector. It was failed due to the air bag light continued to show on the dash board. The state inspector indicated that this vehicle would not pass inspection until the air bag situation has been resolved. I am not concerned if other Hyundai vehicles are recalled or not. My primary concern at this present time is my 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited is taken care of in accordance with the requirements of the national traffic and motor vehicle Safety Act. I have asked Hyundai to repair this vehicle. However, I was told that the warranty has run out on this vehicle. I indicated that this is a manufactured defect and should resolved immediately.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

Sep 042014

Sonata 4-cyl

I was rear ended while at a stop by a large truck that was going 40 mph. My airbags didn't deploy, which didn't surprise me, but my seatbelt did not properly engage. When I was rearended, I went forward and my head hit something, possible the steering wheel. The seatbelt finally engaged and strapped me back to the seat. Due to the failure of engagement, and my head hitting an object, I sustained a substantial concussion due to the head trauma and have post concussion syndrome which is greatly effecting me at home and at work.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Aug 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

Hello, I'm not sure if this qualifies, but this vehicle has a major defect in the compressor kicking on for air conditioning (per my own experience and examining forums of other users). The A/C does not come on intermittently, especially when the car hasn't been turned on for 3 or 4 hours. This can be a major safety concern in warm areas.

- Statesboro, GA, USA

Mar 242014

My vehicle hyndai Sonata 2011, crashed into a parked construction in a parking lot at the speeds of up to 30 mph. The crash damaged basically the whole front side of the driver side and damaged the front two wheels. The front windshield was damaged as well with cracks on the shield and it also knocked out the rearview mirrors. I was in the driver seat when the crash happened and my head crashed up against the steering wheel, which left a little soreness. What I was wondering is with such an impact and such damage, how did the airbags not go off". my head slammed pretty good up against the steering wheel and a little more impact I could've been severely hurt. So I just want to ask why did the airbags not work"

- Breckenridge, TX, USA