CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata seat belts / air bags problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Mar 012016

Sonata

I have been having problems with my airbag light. Initially when I would start my car up the airbag warning light would come on but then it would go off after a couple of minutes. Now it has come on and will not go off. It has been on for about a month. I called the dealership and they informed me that it was not under warranty. I have been looking online and seeing a lot of complaints about the air bag light. Is something going to be done concerning this problem?

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 312016

Sonata

Airbig light remains illuminated when the car has not been in accident, large or small, nor any other conditions (ie electrical) to cause it to remain

- Apex, NC, USA

Nov 062015

Sonata

The airbag light stays on. I am worried that if I'm in a car accident my airbags will not deploy. Please help.

- Taylor, TX, USA

Feb 152016

Sonata

The passenger airbag light came on at 37,000 mileage while the car was on but not moving. I took it to my local Hyundai dealer to check the airbag light and was told that airbag controller needed to be replaced. However, this is manufacturing defect that poses a threat of the consumer's safety as it can be deadly that the airbags will not deploy when needed! this can be fatal. Additionally, it seems this problem has been reported by other owners of 2011 Sonatas over the past 5 years. This needs to be a recall from the manufacturer! please help the consumers and their families.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Feb 152016

Sonata

The airbag light is continuously on without being in an accident and when the vehicule is not in motion. This means the airbags will not deploy in the case of an accident! this is a very serious problem that can cause serious injuries and/or death! it seems this is a persistent issue with Hyundai Sonatas since 2006.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Feb 012016

Sonata

Air bag light came on at 66700 miles. Took to local Hyundai dealer for maintenance and to check air bag light and was told passenger seat bottom and track needed replaced. Would cost approximately 850 dollars. This is a manufacture defect and I have kids and can't even trust driving this car due to safety issue with the airbags likely not deploying!!!!! this needs recalled!!!! I need to be able to trust my cars safety. Especially with my 3 kids. Recall this asap please....... I have read this is a problem with most 2011 Hyundai Sonatas from people's complaints all over the internet. Obviously a defect and a huge safety issue!!!!!

- Southgate, KY, USA

Feb 012016

Sonata

Airbag light came on at 66800 miles. Took car to Hyundai dealership being told driver seat needs replaced because sensor went bad!!!! says it will be like 800 dollars to get a new seat. So airbags won't work unless I buy a new seat. There should be a safety recall done on these 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited with this problem!!!! I have read that lots of people who own these cars have the same problem!!!!

- Southgate, KY, USA

Mar 132016

Sonata

On Sunday 03/13/2016 at 1957 hours a collision occurred between a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and 2000 Ford Expedition. The collision resulted in the death of the driver of the Hyundai. The collision was head on in nature at and speeds greater than 40 mph. The airbags in the Sonata failed to deploy. This is an on going felony investigation. My name if ofc. Chris ray #2013 and I am an accident re-constructionist with the omaha police department in omaha, Nebraska. I would like someone to contact me 402-444-5626 (office) or 402-980-0192 (cell). I can also be reached via email at christopher.ray@cityofomaha.org

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 062015

Sonata

About a year ago, my airbag light lit up on my dashboard. It stayed on every time I had my car on. Hyundai fixed it for me. They said that they replaced the clock spring assist, reset the codes and it was fixed. Now the light is back on again. Its not even a year later.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Sep 172014

Sonata

Thankfully, my situation doesn't yet include any type of accident. My airbag light came on around August, 2014. I purchased the car used in January of that same year from a Hyundai dealership. It was only 3 years old, so I didn't think the indicator light was anything serious, maybe just a sensor. I serviced the car on Sept. 17, 2014 for a different problem, and the tech noted the airbag light was on. I declined to do repairs or diagnostics because I had just paid several hundred dollars that day. When I serviced the car September, the following year (Sep 17, 2015) I requested they check the airbag. They kept the car overnight, unable to establish the source of the problem -- in fact they had to consult a Hyundai expert out-of-house. Eventually they told me the whole driver side airbag assembly needed replacement - $1,100. The paperwork lists "airbag B1102 bat voltage low, B1346 resistance too high, needs new air bag assy." My concern is that a car only 3 years old needs a new air bag. Until I'm able to afford a new one, mine still doesn't work. Given the other electrical issues in the car, I have to wonder if other Hyundai owners have had similar problems. I hope this information is helpful, and perhaps prevents serious injury due to faulty air bag assembly units.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Dec 242015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 20 mph, the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The driver and passenger side air bags deployed. A police report was filed. There were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Sep 022015

Sonata

At approximately 112000 miles the air bag sensor light came on and has remained on.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 252015

Sonata

I have been having problems with my airbag light. Initially when I would start my car up the airbag warning light would come on but then it would go off after a couple of minutes. Now it has come on and will not go off. It has been on for about two months. I went to the dealership and they informed me that it was not under warranty. I have been looking online and seeing a lot of complaints about the air bag light. Is something going to be done concerning this problem?

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Oct 312015

Sonata

Horn has been replaced three times in the last year and a half and has gone out again. Also airbag indicator light on dash board is lit, Hyundai states faulty indicator light and no safety issue. The horn and the airbag are all located in the same place, there has to be an issue.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Oct 012014

Sonata

The drivers side door is loose. Took it to dealership last year and they stated that my car was not included in door latch recall. Airbag light came on out of nowhere. Called N they stated this is not a recall. As of this past summer, the steering wheel clicks every time I turn it. I'm going to call them tomorrow because I read where there were recalls on that, but I never received notification. I drive 45 minutes to work and back Monday through Friday and do not want to take a chance on being in an accident. I don't understand how my car shows the exact same signs of recalls but every time I call or take it there, my VIN number was not included.

- Washington, GA, USA

Sep 112015

Sonata

The steering wheel is loose and making a clicking noise. The airbag light is on.

- Hacienda Heights, CA, USA

Oct 152015

Sonata

My main airbag light has came on and now stays on as if there is a problem with the air bags or sensor. As soon as I turned my car on and my husband and I were driving down the street to get the kids, the light came on for short while then went off and came back on not too long after, and since then will not go off at all. I have read many complaints online regarding issues with the air bags or air bag sensors. Some reports ended in a crash and air bags not functioning properly since their light came on. To me this is a safety issue, should not be held reliable for such an important part of safety within a vehicle. The air bag issue really needs to be looked into.

- Garland, TX, USA

Oct 172015

Sonata

Exhibiting exact same issue as described in NHTSA campaign number: 10V-070 Hyundai dealer said my car was built in March and will not make the repair. Also exhibiting issues described in NHTSA campaign number: 10V-457 and dealer refused to make repair. The excessive shaking in the steering wheel has caused my SRS (safety restraint system) to kick a code that says my steering wheel air bag may not deploy in the event of a crash. SRS lite stays on. Hyundai dealer refused to make repair on NHTSA campaign number 13V-113. I currently have a piece of folded cardboard zip tied to my brake switch. Car exhibiting issues relating to NHTSA campaign number 14V-434 even after having the dealer use their (clip) remedy.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Aug 122015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the passenger air bag sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Margete, FL, USA

Aug 312015

Sonata

Airbag warning light remained on after starting the vehicle recently. Vehicle was diagnosed on August 31, 2015 by local Hyundai dealership (where purchased). Results of diagnosis stated on service description "code in acu for OCS module. Recommend replacement of passenger seat bottom". it was stated that with the airbag light on, the service department could not guarantee airbag would work. So we immediately ordered recommended airbag parts. ( front passenger seat bottom) at a major cost of $1,246. And labor cost of $165. Parts came in and were installed on September 9,2015. Airbag light is off. This safety system needs to be investigated for root cause and corrective actions. With only 81,319 miles, this falls way short of long term performance.. with safety of my family at stake with this issue I had no other choice but to get this issue fixed. Plus it would not pass state inspection. Last I have seen several other reports of airbag lights on for Hyundai Sonata 201, same problem.

- Kernersville, NC, USA