CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 12 of 43)

Jun 072016

Sonata

The steering column inside the cab rattles each time I hit a bump or hole in the road. I have 77,000 miles on the vehicle now, but I started to notice a suttle noise about 15,000 miles prior to what is now a major safety conern. Driving into my garage to park the vehicle, I heard a loud snap as I was turning the steering wheel and what sounded like parts falling in the steering column. I pulled forward far enough to close the garage door and there my car sits. Guess I'm lucky I wasn't at 3,000 ft level like I was the day before when the steering decided to break apart. Apparently, after doing some research on my own, the steering coupling is defective and may seperate and leave the driver with no means to steer the vehicle. No recall from Hyundai even though many are having the same issues as noted all over the internet. The Hyundai service center in fresno, ca seems to have marching orders to deny the fact that this issue is much more prevelant than simple wear and tear and are practically ready to fight you if you try to get them to admit it. Don't call the service manager "bro" or he will have the biggest hissy fit about how disrespectful that is. His name is "matt", ok; as though covering up an obvious safety defect that could cost someone their life is just silly childs play! Hyundai, do the "right" thing (ethics 101) and recall the damn thing before people get hurt or killed, if they haven't already.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Apr 092016

Sonata 4-cyl

When driving over 50 mph steering wheel shakes uncontrollably, steering wheel makes a clicking noise when any slight movement made other than driving straight. I took my car to be evaluated at my local Hyundai dealer and was god my steering column was loose and that the entire steering column would need replaced. The dealership told me this issue is affecting the safety of my vehicle and the repair would be at my own expense. They could give no explanation as to why the steering column became loose ( my car has never been involved in an accident) I did some research online and found hundreds of other people complaining of the same issue with this specific year make and model vehicle. My VIN # has had 12 safety recalls since purchase. I feel this steering column problem needs to be a safety recall issued by Hyundai. Thank you

- Mcdonald, PA, USA

Mar 312016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. In addition, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel and the steering wheel vibrated after driving over a bump. The failure recurred on numerous occasions and worsened over time. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the steering coupler needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired and was taken to a dealer who confirmed the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Pontoon Beach, IL, USA

May 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While turning the steering wheel in either direction, a clunking type noise was present coming from the steering column. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Dec 232015

Sonata

Making clicking sounds while turning steering wheel. My has started doing this when I took it for a recall approx 6 months ago. The dealer said that this could be dangerous as steering column could deteriorate and would affect accuracy of steering wheel. This has been an issue with many of Hyundai forums online, specifically with steering coupler and column. Defect in manufacturing when thousands have problems with this.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

May 242016

Sonata

The contact owned a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 35 mph, the steering wheel seized and the contact lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle crashed while maneuvering around a curved road. There were no warning lights illuminated. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 78,522.

- Ocala, FL, USA

May 182016

Sonata

I noticed my steering wheel had play in it. Took to Hyundai dealer and they stated I needed a coupler and intermediate shaft and bolts to be replaced. My vehicle had 73,008 miles. Asked why this could happen on such low miles they stated parts don't last forever. Dealer summit the claim to Hyundai and Hyundai denied therefore I had to pay for repair since this was a safety issue.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Dec 102015

Sonata

The steering wheel all of a sudden felt loose one while I was driving and then it started making a rattling noise and it can be heard when I turn the wheel, go over a bumps or if I drive faster then 60 miles per hour it gets really loud with a constant rattling noise, my car only has 72000-73000 miles on

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 122016

Sonata

At 62,000 miles the steering wheel felt tight, and then suddenly it felt loose when I turned the wheel to the right, and then it started a clicking noise every time I turned the wheel to the right or left. Over the next 3,000 miles it has become progressively worse with clicking and rattling any time I turn the wheel, even sitting still. Going over any bump makes a rattling noise in steering column. I see this is a very common problem in 2011 Sonata's and wonder why there is no recall?!!

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 122016

Sonata

Upper steering assembly joint is loose. Causing a clunking sound when driving over bumps, manhole and driving at 60mph

- Queens Village, NY, USA

Jan 012015

Sonata

Clicking sound from the steering wheel. Will happen at rest or motion. Progressively got worse. Also produced a thud sound on bumps on interstate. Dealer indicates the steering coupler had failed. I told them I seen many other people with the same problem. Why was it not covered by manufacturer with it being so widespread issue? cost me $394.48 for dealer to replace including the recommend alignment.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Apr 012016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 hyundia Sonata. The contact heard a clicking noise coming from the steering column when turning the steering wheel in either direction. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel coupler was faulty. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

May 032016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. When the vehicle was in motion and stationary, the steering wheel became loose. When the vehicle drove over a bump in the road, the steering wheel made a loud rattling noise. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Jefferson, GA, USA

Dec 182015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving various speeds, the steering power steering seized and the eps light illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the eps control unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was notified of NHTSA campaign number: 16V190000 (steering) after the failure occurred; however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000. The VIN was not available.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Nov 102015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V190000 (steering) several months after the failure occurred. The steering wheel made an abnormal noise and vibrated extensively for an extended period of time. The vehicle was taken to more than three independent mechanics who stated that there was an electric power steering failure. The dealers were unable to provide a specific diagnosis to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was also included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V759000 (service brakes, hydraulic) and 15V568000 (engine). The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Lumberton, NC, USA

Mar 092016

Sonata

I took my car into the dealership over a month ago because of noises coming from the steering wheel. I knew that they had recalls before on steering but they told me that my issue was not covered under the recall. The issue is a steering coupler involving the steering column. They also have a new recall announcement made on April 16, 2016. There have been many complaints with the same steering issues with this vehicle and Hyundai expects money out of pocket for it. Now when driving, the steering has gotten worse with increased speeds there is shaking and clicking. Any little bump in the road will cause clicking in the steering wheel. Even sitting still, it will click once you turn the wheel. I was told that this is a dangerous hazard but I cannot afford to get this fixed when obviously this is an ongoing issue with Hyundai and their recalls.

- Durham, NC, USA

Apr 182016

Sonata

The steering column began to loosen and eventually had to be replaced because it was no longer safe to drive. I had to replace it at my cost at 67,000 miles.

- Suffern, NY, USA

Feb 032016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise that progressed near the steering wheel. In addition, the oil had to be refilled every four to six weeks, but there was no presence of a leak. The contact was unable to determine where the failure originated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for the engine crank shaft recall and it was indicated that the steering coupling needed to be replaced. The contact was informed that the VIN was not included in the engine crank shaft recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was also excluded from NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V568000 (engine), 16V190000 (steering), 10V457000 (steering), and 10V426000 (steering). The contact took the vehicle to an independent mechanic who stated that he would not install the part because it was not an oem revised part from the manufacturer. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer to determine if the manufacturer would be able to provide a repair solution. The failure mileage was not available.

- New Port News, VA, USA

May 022016

Sonata

Clicking in steering wheel dealer stated needed new coupler cost 4.00, labor $334. Also airbag light remains on, dealer stated clockspring repair $372. Mileage 69000. Checked Hyundai websites, numerous repairs for these sames issues on the 2011 Sonata, both issues should be a recall issues. With so many of these cars having the same issues, these wld appear to be defects in the manufactured with the cars.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 272016

Sonata

While driving 45mph I experience my steering wheel shaking and it leaves the vehicle hard to control and it pulls to the right. I then started to experience my car not starting after sitting for not even 5 minutes and this has been occurring for 2 days. I took my car to the local dealership and was advised that I needed to replace the starter lever and steering coupler. Both of these are common defects of this model and has been recalled in the past. I called Hyundai today and was told that I am now responsible for the cost of the repairs regardless of what happened in the past. The repairs are going to cost me a little over $600 when the parts are plastic and wouldn't cost more than $20. A complaint has been filed with the BBB as well...this is a major safety issue on this vehicle and the manufacture needs to do a better job at building these parts.

- Lithia Springs, GA, USA