CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 15 of 43)

Jan 202016

Sonata

The steering column started to make a noise about a month ago. The noise sounds like something is loose and has gotten worse over time. The car is now pulling to the left. The noise happens when the car is in any gear. Also, the car steering will vibrate sometimes at higher speeds.

- Wendell, NC, USA

Feb 092016

Sonata

The steering has play in it with short turns to the left and right and it rattles when driven over a bump.

- Leonardtown, MD, USA

Mar 012016

Sonata

When attempting to start the car yesterday normally, the car did not start. After reading the owners manual I discovered how to insert the smart key into a slot within the center arm rest compartment and the car starts normally. However the car cannot be locked or unlocked with the smart key anymore. The car was in the garage on the day of failure. Also when moving in reverse, and turning the steering wheel, there are clumping sounds from underneath the vehicle and that's getting louder. Unfortunately we owner's do not get any type of resolutions on these issues. Hyundai needs to step up and rectify these concerns. Ooh they got their money already....

- San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Feb 112016

Sonata

My steering flex coupler needs replacing. Every time I turn the steering wheel I get a clunk noise. This has been a problem in almost all of the Hyundai Sonatas, but for some reason my Sonata is not falling under the recall for this. It will cost me almost $500 to fix. This should be taken care of by Hyundai!

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Feb 192016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the steering ability seized when the vehicle started. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the steering column had to be replaced. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who confirmed the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 100,500.

- Hopewell Junction, NY, USA

Feb 012016

Sonata 4-cyl

2011 Hyundai Sonata. Consumer writes in regards to NHTSA's campaign number 15V-568. Consumer states that vehicle was repaired but the issue still exist. The consumer stated the brake light switch was replaced several times, and there was clicking sound coming from the steering wheel.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012016

Sonata

My steering column has began to rattle and come loose affecting the steering of the vehicle, a noticeable clunk and play is felt in the steering wheel and vibrates bad over bumps causing the car to jerk. The dealership immediately knew what I was talking about but stated there was no recall. I find this troubling being that they didn't even need to look at the car to know exactly what is wrong and told me continued driving will result in an accident. Symptoms started early 2016 car only has 70K miles

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 012016

Sonata

My steering wheel has become increasingly loose and shaky over the past months when driving or stationary. There is a very distinct (and getting worse over time) "clicking" or "knocking" sound when I back up and turn my wheel either way. I was told by my mechanic that something is wrong with my steering gear box/shaft sector and possibly some of my axles. He told me this was dangerous, and that the recall campaign number 097 should cover me. However, I was told by Hyundai that my specific car does not fall under this recall, even though I my car has the exact symptoms of the recall. I was also told that because of recent recalls, my warranty would be extended. However, Hyundai has now told me that my warranty extension only covers the sole engine, and not the axles though they are part of and covered by the initial engine warranty. Hyundai has told me there are "kits" to fix these problems, but I have to pay over $1000 for the kits to fix, even though these were faulty parts by Hyundai. The Hyundai service manager I spoke with told me flat out that my car had faulty parts, but that the kits could fix them. I asked him whose fault it was that they were faulty, and he said that all car companies deal with this and it wasn't because of my driving. But even still so, I have to be the one to pay for Hyundai's faulty parts and non-existent recall help. I'm beyond frustrated after reading so many reviews and forums online of people with the exact same car symptoms as mine who are unfortunately also not covered by the recall. If I cannot get a better response and answer from this, I will be contacting the main lawyer who others have also contacted about this and filing an official lawsuit. I expected way better from Hyundai and am disgusted and disappointed at the lack of service, truthfulness, and integrity from this company at this point.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 052015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that after the vehicle was started and when turning to the left or right, an abnormal noise emitted from the steering wheel without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering coupling assembly failed and needed to be replaced as well as the steering gear assembly. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 10V457000 (steering) and 10V426000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 04/20/16

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 222014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, a noise emitted from the steering column. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure millage was 66,000.

- Archer, FL, USA

Dec 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel shook violently as an abnormal noise came from the steering wheel. The failure lasted for five minutes and stopped. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was not diagnosed nor repaired. The vehicle was later taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the air compressor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 67,000.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Sep 302015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 60 mph, the steering wheel became very loose and vibrated. As a result, the contact had to steer the vehicle in excess in order to keep the vehicle in position. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering); however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Feb 162016

Sonata

2011 Sonata experienced steering difficulties: Shaking at higher speeds on highway (70 mph), clicking in steering wheel at low speed and simply when turning wheel when car is in park, loose steering, and, at times, quickly jerking in a direction while at high speeds-steering wheel seemed to lose control. Car was bought used and was serviced under 2010 steering column shaft recall. Hyundai dealership today says its the couplar and that is not included in the recall and offering to split the cost with me. It appears Hyundai is aware of this issue, as the service manager said it was couplar without even speaking with the tech yet.. I'm concerned this is a serious problem among 2011 Sonatas and Hyundai continues to sweep it under the rug while forcing customers to pay out of pocket for something that should have been fixed in 2010.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 072016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, an abnormal banging noise could be heard while driving. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering gear assembly fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000. Updated 05/11/16

- Moore, OK, USA

Feb 032016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at various speeds, the steering wheel made an abnormal noise and became difficult to steer. The dealer was aware of the failure and stated that it was not a recall issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Clarksville, IN, USA

Jan 222016

Sonata

After taking my 2011 Hyundai Sonata in for engine recall my steering wheel is now making noise and it moves to the left on its own now. Also my right axle is leaking grease and the car has about 69,000 miles on it. I bought it new.Hyundai dealer said the noise is coming from a coupling and would cost $270. They also said it was not part of the recall for steering column intermediate shaft which I took the car in for when that recall came out.I dont know what they do or if they do anything when they supposedly look at your car due to a recall. My car was doing great when I took it in for the recalls until the last time. Also when I took my car in for engine recall my oil dipstick was yellow. But now I have an orange oil dipstick. Back to the part about the steering noise it makes noise sitting still and moving and sometimes it gets louder if the road is not as smooth.also how do they know it is the coupling and not something else such as what the recall was for when they just listened to my car and not inspect it to be sure. The coupling should have been included in the recall and if not it needs to be recalled.this sounds dangerous. The noise also gets louder when I turn the wheel while driving. Sometimes it sound like the car is rattling and sometimes sounds like a shock absorber starting to go bad.

- Florence, AL, USA

Dec 282015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at various speeds, the steering wheel made a clicking noise and vibrated excessively. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering coupler failed and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 43,000.

- Conway, SC, USA

Nov 022015

Sonata

Had become a frequent occurrence that upon turning the steering wheel whether at high, low or even no speed that you would hear a clicking/clunking noise. This was annoying, but then at high speeds (interstate driving) when braking there began to be an occasional considerable vibrating that went through the steering wheel. I originally thought it might be my rotors causing the vibrating when braking and thought the clicking noise was from a wear in my axle rod which a mechanic had previously mentioned would cause clicking noise when turning (and didn't need immediate care). However when I took my car in for the 132 and 136 recalls the Hyundai service tech immediately knew it was the steering coupler by turning my wheel because he sees it so often. He even had examples pinned up on their board to explain it. He explained the safety risk of not getting it fixed as it could cause shaking of the whole steering column (already was), looseness in the steering making it less responsive to turns, and could even cause the steering wheel not to respond to a sudden turn increasing the risk of a crash. I of course went ahead and had it repaired, since my 3 kids ride in it every day. During my wait in the lobby I googled the issue to see if the $266 I was being charged was reasonable (it was) but I found so many posts about this issue and some people seemed able to have the repair cost covered even when outside of their warranty, so I called Hyundai asking for a refund of the cost. They said since my car had over 60,000 miles they couldn't help me with any compensation. I do have over 100,000 miles on my car, but considering the widespread issue with this part and the safety concern I believe Hyundai should take responsibility. The mechanic had reassured me the replacement part is improved, which also shows Hyundai knows its a problem. (date will be estimate of highway vibrating)

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Feb 022016

Sonata

Knocking was heard when the steering wheel was being rotated either to the left or right when stopped or at slow speed. Brought it to the dealership and was immediately informed it was the steering motor flexible coupling that was worn, loose, or defective. Repair was performed at a cost of $230.42, $2.42 of which was the cost of the defective part. The vehicle was out of warranty due to being a 5 months over the 5 year limit but well within the mileage limit. The vehicle was well maintained, being brought to the dealership every 3000 miles for oil changes and whatever else needed to be done. Since this issue has been well known to Hyundai for several years, I was appalled to see that Hyundai did not replace that bushing under the warrantee during one of my visits to the dealership for service, particularly since it could have eventually resulted in loss of steering, and a potentially fatal accident. I would encourage the NHTSA to have Hyundai issue a safety recall at this time. The affected vehicles are now about 5 years old which, from the number of recent complaints I have seen on line, appears to be life of the flexible coupling. Please do something before some fatalities occur.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Feb 042016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at various speeds, the contact heard a clicking noise coming from the steering wheel and it was difficult to keep the steering wheel steady in one position. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who stated that this was a common complaint with the vehicle. There was no recall for the steering failure. The dealer diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 128,000.

- Burmnighand, AL, USA