CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 16 of 43)

Jan 232016

Sonata

"takata recall" "takata recall" clucking noise in steering wheel. Bad coupler wearing out. This is definetly a safety hazard. Part that was put in when they made the car is very bad. May lose control of steering. This should be recalled. Steering feels very loose.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Feb 142014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering column intermediate shaft universal joint had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 116,000.

- Peachtree Corners, GA, USA

Dec 172015

Sonata

First, this is my 2nd complaint I've filed. My car has been repaired many times for recalls (one is being done currently for the second time) and other warranty repairs. This is the list so far: Idler pully, tensioner arm and belt, steering column (which broke while driving after I had to get 4 new tires and 4-wheel alignment (24000 miles) that they said I had to get), premature starter failure, short block, leather around gear shifter wore hole in it, and my car has now been in the service dept. Since Dec. 17th because the engine failed again. They ordered a long block for it but Hyundai motors America cannot keep up with getting the engines manufactured and sent to all the dealerships fast enough for the recall.I am now the 12th car down on the list. I still have another outstanding recall for the brake stop pad, and I noticed recently the rearview mirror is faded in spots (dark worn areas). I contacted Hyundai motor America public relations hotline. It took them 2 weeks to get back to me. The man that called me asked for information from me, he called the dealership, and then sent me a letter stating they would only reimburse me a portion of my repairs I had to pay for. In the letter, also was a release of liability for me to sign. That's not going to happen!!!! the release would have made them not liable to past or any future situations, including death. How stupid do they really think we are? they've had well beyond an acceptable amount of time to take care of these recalls. It's time to buy the vehicles back and rebuild their image. If not, there will be more recalls or events that could lead to death. Holding them accountable is the only acceptable way to handle this.people are still out there driving unsafe vehicles!!

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Feb 012016

Sonata

Steering wheel shakes violently when driving on the highway. The wheel feels loose.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jan 282016

Sonata

My car was in the shop to resolve NHTSA campaign numbers 13V113000 and 15V568000 - Hyundai campaign numbers 132 & 136. I was told that - unrelated to the recall issues - a $3 bushing needed to be replaced in the steering column at a replacement cost of about $257. I advised that neither I nor a very frequent passenger in my car had ever heard a clunking noise as described by the service advisor or had noticed any other problem with the steering regardless of speed and/or terrain. Thus, I refused to have the service performed. I then checked out the NHTSA.gov site and found a huge number of complaints regarding this issue. I then called Hyundai motors and advised that I was not experiencing a problem but clearly a problem was being anticipated. Hyundai motors said they would document my file but put me on hold several times. I am convinced Hyundai motors communicated and conspired with the repair shop and that sabotage is involved because when I later returned to pick up my vehicle, the service advisor demonstrated a distinct sound upon turning the steering wheel - a sound not so subtle that both my frequent passenger and me would have missed it. I told the service advisor I had never heard that sound before but still felt compelled to pay for the repair. NHTSA should make this an across the board recall and require Hyundai to reimburse owners for the cost of repairs. After all, I was told by a Hyundai service advisor that it is a safety concern.

- Columbiana, AL, USA

May 152015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel made an abnormal noise and the steering wheel was difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the motor driven power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 89,260.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Jan 272016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being serviced for NHTSA campaign number: 15V759000 (service brakes, hydraulic), the technician informed the contact that the power steering flexible rubber coupler was deteriorating and fractured and needed to be replaced. In addition, the technician stated that there was a possibility that the power steering would fail. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Dec 172015

Sonata

Steering column shaky and making clunks, with intermittent loss of control of steering when going over bumps and pot-holes. Creates a rattling noise and shakes the steering wheel vigorously.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jan 252016

Sonata

Recently the steering has a little slack and when I hit a bump, it sounds and feels like the steering wheel will end up in my lap. My wife doesn't want the kids to ride with me. This car has very few miles- only 40,400 miles- and shouldn't clank and rattle when you encounter minor bumps. I took the car for other recalls and was told the Hyundai recall 097 & NHTSA #10V-426 wasn't for my car and I'm out of warranty (under 60,000 but past 5 years as of 5 months ago). It was going to cost a little over $300 to fix (mostly labor) as the part was $2.99. When I asked if it was a safety concern, I was told no, only nuisance issue. I'll say so- it jars my eye teeth. Re-entry from space is probably smoother.

- Benton, AR, USA

Jan 262016

Sonata

Dealer states steering bushing needs to be replaced at 67,000 miles due to clicking when turning the steering wheel at low speeds.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jan 112016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While the vehicle was being serviced under an unknown recall, the technician informed the contact that the steering wheel shook violently. The dealer diagnosed that the steering coupler needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Jan 232016

Sonata

While my car is in motion there is a loud knocking noise coming from my steering column and the steering wheel will also shake.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jan 202016

Sonata

During a visit to the Hyundai dealership to address current recall issues with my vehicle, I was told the steering coupler needs to be replaced and it is out of warranty. I asked what will happen if I don't get it replaced and I was told "nothing, the noise will just drive you crazy". my research tells me that some Sonatas have been recalled for this same issue and that failure to get it replaced is a safety issue. I am learning that this issue is affecting vehicles that were not part of the Hyundai recall several years ago. What am I to do? mileage is 60,246.

- Opelika, AL, USA

Jan 152016

Sonata

I took my car in to a Hyundai dealer for campaign #133, 136, 132, and was told that there is a problem with the steering column, it will be $400 to fix. Upon further research, I learned of a old recall in 2010 for this same problem, but only on certain VIN numbers. There are to many complaints for this not to be reopened with all VIN numbers included. Obviously the manufacture continued to make the same mistake on all vehicles.

- West Helena, AR, USA

Jun 012015

Sonata

There is a significant amount of slack in the steering when turning, both stationary and in motion. This slack/sound started a number or weeks back but has progressively gotten worse. When the vehicle encounters an abnormality such as bump or pothole, the steering wheel makes a noise that sounds like the steering wheel may come off. I have brought the vehicle to the dealer and immediately the mechanic knew what the problem was even before looking at it and stated they are aware of this issue but has their hands tied because the manufacturer will not acknowledge this widespread problem as their responsibility and if I want to fix this problem it will be out-of-pocket. I am uncertain if the problem stems from the coupler in the steering but that is what the representative at the dealer told me. I do not understand why a potential life threatening problem as such is not recalled. Some of the other 2011 Sonatas with exactly the same issue has a recall campaign so why not all of the 2011 Sonatas with this problem? please help.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jan 112016

Sonata

When stopped, turning the steering wheel left or right produces a thumping sound/feel in the steering wheel. Steering wheel also vibrates at higher speeds, around 70 mph. Dealer diagnosed this problem as a failure in the steering column, w/smart key - 2011 Hyundai Sonata [563103Q400]. dealer quoted $1300 to repair. I am currently asking the dealer to reevaluate the condition to see if this is really a problem with just the steering coupling, Sonata - 2011 Hyundai Sonata [564003Q000]. so far no repair has been made.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Nov 252015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel started to vibrate and was loose. The failure recurred multiple times and at various speeds. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000. Updated 04/08/16

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Nov 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph and making a right or left turn, the steering wheel would be difficult to maneuver and emit a loud clicking noise. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 107,000.

- Oglethorpe, GA, USA

Oct 212015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while turning the steering wheel, a knocking noise was present. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering column and the gear box needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 86,000.

- Brookline, MO, USA

Dec 012015

Sonata

Took car in for engine recall and explained I was also getting a clicking noise in steering column and while turning. I was informed it was the steering wheel coupler at the cost of $10 while the whole repair cost me $200 because he cut me a break! I explained I had been complaining about this for awhile prior to the start of the clicking noise. I was informed at that time that it was normal, no problem with the steering. I explained this to the service rep and was told since we just took over a month ago they can only address what they diagnosed! my car was bought brand new has 46953 miles, I was 6months 9 days out of time warranty. Totally ridiculous and on top of it I still have the clicking noise!

- Vineland, NJ, USA