CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 19 of 43)

Sep 082015

Sonata

Steering became loose, car making squeaky noise when in motion. This sound was extremely evident when turning. This occurred primarily on city streets.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Sonata

Anytime I drive over 40 mph the steering wheel makes a loud clicking noise and shakes heavily. It's hard to control the wheel it feels like something is loose in the steering column. The clicking sounds as if something is vibrating so hard that it banging on something. When I took it to my mechanic he informed me he replaced a flexible coupling in 2 2011 Sonatas within the last 6 wks. I looked online about the specific issue and thoundsand of 2011 Sonata owners were complaining about the same thing. I called the Hyundai of ft. Mill dealership in ft mill SC where I purchased the car to explain what I have been experiencing. Service rep larry V. said that is a common problem amongst some Sonatas made in 2011 which is why Hyundai build the vehicle with a metal coupling vs. A rubber one. He said it's a dangerous matter because the steering wheel is not fully attached and the car could lose control while driving and the fragment wear down more and more as you drive. He informed me to have it replaced asap and it can cost up to 300.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 152015

Sonata

A distinct 'click' noise heard when steering wheel is turned on either direction. It happens even when the vehicle is not moving. It feels like there is excessive steering play. Dealer says they do not have any recall. I have learnt that many 2011 Sonata owners have similar issue.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 012015

Sonata

Constant rattling and clicking at any speed. Dealer says steering coupler...$400

- Heartland, TX, USA

Oct 012014

Sonata

The drivers side door is loose. Took it to dealership last year and they stated that my car was not included in door latch recall. Airbag light came on out of nowhere. Called N they stated this is not a recall. As of this past summer, the steering wheel clicks every time I turn it. I'm going to call them tomorrow because I read where there were recalls on that, but I never received notification. I drive 45 minutes to work and back Monday through Friday and do not want to take a chance on being in an accident. I don't understand how my car shows the exact same signs of recalls but every time I call or take it there, my VIN number was not included.

- Washington, GA, USA

Oct 292015

Sonata

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata was first repaired for front drive shaft assy and now I feel that it's having similar problems. I first checked for recalls and found one that could possibly be a match for my car. I called the dealership where the car was purchased, I explained to him what I was experiencing with my car and that I thought it may have been on the recall list, but the service gentleman immediately told me that it wasn't on recall. I told him that my car was making awful noises to the point where it feels like it was going to fall apart. It makes noise when I turn the wheel, when I hit a pot whole or bump (to the point where I go very slow or almost stop the car in certain situations because it feels like the car is falling to pieces). My car has lots of play in the steering wheel. The service guy told me over the phone that is was the steering coupler that would take about 2-3 hours to repair and cost $300. I have seen and heard so many people are possibly having the same issues with their cars and I don't understand why this doesn't qualify for recall. What's the difference in steering coupler and steering column intermediate shaft universal joint connections?

- Memphis, TN, USA

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 60 mph, the steering wheel shook violently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the column was loose and needed to be repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Oct 292015

Sonata

Knocking noise in steering column when you turn steering wheel either direction and delayed turn reaction from front wheels. Noise occurs when the car is stationary or moving.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 282015

Sonata

The steering wheel has play and a knocking noise in it. It also causes the headlights to flick on and off when the signal light is engaged. I have looked up recalls and apparently there is a recall on this type of problem but supposedly it does not apply to my vehicle. This is an ongoing issue that cost approx. $1500 to fix.

- Beech Island, SC, USA

Oct 222015

Sonata

Experienced loud vibration from the steering column at highway speed or while going over rough road. While the vehicle is stationary, there is a knocking sound when turning the wheel either left or right past center. Took to dealer to investigate, was told a bushing needed to be replaced. Failure occurred at 77,000 miles, was not covered under any warranty or recall at this time.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Oct 192015

Sonata

Steering has "dead" area in center... steering wheel turns a little but wheels don't. then there's a little "clunk" and the power steering engages. I see on internet there's lots of similar problems with this car, but dealer says there's no recall and I have to pay for repair. I think it's a chronic problem with this steering system.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Sep 112015

Sonata

The steering wheel is loose and making a clicking noise. The airbag light is on.

- Hacienda Heights, CA, USA

Oct 122015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 60 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering column. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that an unknown part related to the the steering column panel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 022015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at an unknown speed. There was a clicking noise coming from the steering column. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000 (steering). The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Aug 012015

Sonata

Steering column rattling steering column is loose it is very loud, I have called Hyundai manufacturer, this was a recall last year on this vehicle but I was told according to the VIN.number that my car wasn't one that was recalled for the defected steering column, and I would have to pay to have it diagnosed to see if the problem is what was recalled last year, no way should a 2011 car sound like a hunk of junk when just driving at a speed of 30mph.what should I do?

- Parsons, KS, USA

Sonata

Steering column clicks loudly when turning steering wheel left or right while stationary or moving. Steering column makes a loud rattling noise when when going over any bumps or if at a high speed. Vehicle was manufactured 1 month after a recall was issued for the same issue at the same manufacturing facility but my vehicle is not included in the recall. Problem started at about 75,000 miles.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Oct 222015

Sonata

When making a moderate to slow turn in either direction there is a knocking/thud/clicking sound emanating from the steering column, with a slight jerk. Also, during acceleration onto a highway I experienced a vibration and jerk in my steering wheel. I am scheduled for a service at my local dealership tomorrow.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Oct 092015

Sonata

Every time I hit a small bump in the road my steering makes a loud rattling noise. Even if my car is sitting still, if I turn the wheel to the left it makes a clunking noise. This has been an ongoing problem that I feel needs to be addressed.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Sep 182015

Sonata

Loud clicking coming from my steering column when vehicle reaches between 65 and 75 mph. Steering wheel shakes as well.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Aug 122015

Sonata

The steering wheel click and rattles when driving the vehicle. The rattling noise is extremely loud and when turning the clicks are consistenly happening.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA