CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 19 of 43)

Oct 292015

Sonata

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata was first repaired for front drive shaft assy and now I feel that it's having similar problems. I first checked for recalls and found one that could possibly be a match for my car. I called the dealership where the car was purchased, I explained to him what I was experiencing with my car and that I thought it may have been on the recall list, but the service gentleman immediately told me that it wasn't on recall. I told him that my car was making awful noises to the point where it feels like it was going to fall apart. It makes noise when I turn the wheel, when I hit a pot whole or bump (to the point where I go very slow or almost stop the car in certain situations because it feels like the car is falling to pieces). My car has lots of play in the steering wheel. The service guy told me over the phone that is was the steering coupler that would take about 2-3 hours to repair and cost $300. I have seen and heard so many people are possibly having the same issues with their cars and I don't understand why this doesn't qualify for recall. What's the difference in steering coupler and steering column intermediate shaft universal joint connections?

- Memphis, TN, USA

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 60 mph, the steering wheel shook violently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the column was loose and needed to be repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Oct 292015

Sonata

Knocking noise in steering column when you turn steering wheel either direction and delayed turn reaction from front wheels. Noise occurs when the car is stationary or moving.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 282015

Sonata

The steering wheel has play and a knocking noise in it. It also causes the headlights to flick on and off when the signal light is engaged. I have looked up recalls and apparently there is a recall on this type of problem but supposedly it does not apply to my vehicle. This is an ongoing issue that cost approx. $1500 to fix.

- Beech Island, SC, USA

Oct 222015

Sonata

Experienced loud vibration from the steering column at highway speed or while going over rough road. While the vehicle is stationary, there is a knocking sound when turning the wheel either left or right past center. Took to dealer to investigate, was told a bushing needed to be replaced. Failure occurred at 77,000 miles, was not covered under any warranty or recall at this time.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Oct 192015

Sonata

Steering has "dead" area in center... steering wheel turns a little but wheels don't. then there's a little "clunk" and the power steering engages. I see on internet there's lots of similar problems with this car, but dealer says there's no recall and I have to pay for repair. I think it's a chronic problem with this steering system.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Sep 112015

Sonata

The steering wheel is loose and making a clicking noise. The airbag light is on.

- Hacienda Heights, CA, USA

Oct 122015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 60 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering column. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that an unknown part related to the the steering column panel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 022015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at an unknown speed. There was a clicking noise coming from the steering column. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000 (steering). The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Aug 012015

Sonata

Steering column rattling steering column is loose it is very loud, I have called Hyundai manufacturer, this was a recall last year on this vehicle but I was told according to the VIN.number that my car wasn't one that was recalled for the defected steering column, and I would have to pay to have it diagnosed to see if the problem is what was recalled last year, no way should a 2011 car sound like a hunk of junk when just driving at a speed of 30mph.what should I do?

- Parsons, KS, USA

Sonata

Steering column clicks loudly when turning steering wheel left or right while stationary or moving. Steering column makes a loud rattling noise when when going over any bumps or if at a high speed. Vehicle was manufactured 1 month after a recall was issued for the same issue at the same manufacturing facility but my vehicle is not included in the recall. Problem started at about 75,000 miles.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Oct 222015

Sonata

When making a moderate to slow turn in either direction there is a knocking/thud/clicking sound emanating from the steering column, with a slight jerk. Also, during acceleration onto a highway I experienced a vibration and jerk in my steering wheel. I am scheduled for a service at my local dealership tomorrow.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Oct 092015

Sonata

Every time I hit a small bump in the road my steering makes a loud rattling noise. Even if my car is sitting still, if I turn the wheel to the left it makes a clunking noise. This has been an ongoing problem that I feel needs to be addressed.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Sep 182015

Sonata

Loud clicking coming from my steering column when vehicle reaches between 65 and 75 mph. Steering wheel shakes as well.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Aug 122015

Sonata

The steering wheel click and rattles when driving the vehicle. The rattling noise is extremely loud and when turning the clicks are consistenly happening.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 132015

Sonata

On a two lane surface street driving on a straight course at 35 mph the steering wheel suddenly began to shake back and forth so violently that I could barely hang on and keep the car on the road until I could get it to stop on the road's shoulder. It continued to shudder until the engine was turned off. Upon proceeding at about 20 mph to a phone to call for a tow to a dealer it happened again and jerked the car into the oncoming opposite lane. It could not be driven safely at any speed. It happened a third time when loading the car onto the tow truck. The violent shaking of the steering wheel continued well after the engine was powered off. The dealer's service mechanics were able to replicate this violent shaking condition in their shop with the engine both running and with the engine off. They submitted a video on it to Hyundai engineers. The diagnosis was "internal failure of the power steering pump /module that is built into the steering column." A replacement module was ordered and replaced in about four days and $1033.92.

- Owosso, MI, USA

Oct 162015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 35 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the upper steering column universal joint needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Hamden, OH, USA

Sonata

Both when the car is in motion and stationary, the steering wheel makes a loud knocking sound when you turn it left or right.

- Morgan, GA, USA

Aug 312015

Sonata

8/31/15 took my car for service at a Hyundai dealership. Was told the steering coupling needed to be replaced. When I asked the mechanic how was this determined, he stated by listening as he turned the steering wheel. I was given the cost as $360. On 10/19/15, I returned for an oil change and was reminded about the steering coupling. I purchased this car in October,2012. I can't believe this is happening. I have read other drivers have had similar problems. I would like to see this investigated. It makes no sense that we are having such problems and the car isn't 5 years old yet. This will be my last Hyundai.

- Durham, NC, USA

Oct 122015

Sonata

Steering wheel started vibrating when driving. Then, a clicking noise could be heard when turning the wheel left or right. Was told the entire steering column and electric power steering motor would need to be replaced at a cost of about $1200. Car only has 64,000 miles on it.

- Sanford, NC, USA