CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 21 of 43)

Sep 252015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 30 mph, the contact heard a clicking noise in the steering wheel when making a left or right turn. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Harrisburg, NC, USA

Dec 012014

Sonata

I notice some play and a knocking noise in the steering wheel, along with a knocking /rattling sounds in the steering column area when driving. This has gotten worse, a repair shop informed me that Hyundai had a recall on this issue. I checked for recalls with VIN and none were found.. from researching on line this seems to be more wide spread problem then Hyundai is leading to believe. And no one says how dangerous this may be, if lost of complete steering is possible

- Stafford, VA, USA

Sep 262015

Sonata

Car suddenly developed loud clicking noise when turning the steering wheel slightly or going over bumpy road. Steering also feels very loose; has a lot of play in it. I took the car to sterling mccall Hyundai dealership in houston, Texas this morning. Service department says it's part number 56315-2K000-fff that needs to be replaced however Hyundai has a long back order for that part, and they're unsure when they will receive it. I asked the service department if the car was ok to drive because I felt it was a dangerous issue. The service advisor said he checked with his manager and the car was perfectly safe to drive until the part came. In. so I'm driving the car but the steering doesn't feel right.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 232015

Sonata

Steering wheel knocks violently when approaching speed bumps and feel very loose when making a turns

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 022015

Sonata

After driving over a bump in the road would the steering columun would make a banging noise. The steering felt loose and would make a clicking noise when turning to the left and right. I took it into the dealership and they told me it was a very common problem with that model and should be recalled. It was a 4 dollar part to fix the problem and 278 dollars in labor. The part that failed was part of the motor driven power steering.

- Alabaster, AL, USA

Aug 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the steering wheel felt loose while turning and emitted a noise while driving. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the steering wheel shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,107.

- Riverbank , CA, USA

Jan 132015

Sonata

Near the beginning of 2015 I noticed some play or looseness in the steering wheel when turning at slow speed such as parking. As time went on, I felt/heard a "cluncking" sound in the first inch of wheel turn at slow speeds and play in the wheel at cruise speeds. I did not think much of it until I checked safecar for complaints for my model car. Within the last two months the steering has gotten more "sloppy" and a loud thud or rattle is heard/felt somewhere lower in the steering column when I hit a rut in the road or drive on a bumpy road, railroad tracks, etc. Everything about this problem is exactly as described by other owners and the previous recall for models prior to 2011/2010. I am 58 years old, and never had this problem with any car I owned. I am particular concerned that Hyundai already had a recall for this problem, and continued to use a defective system/parts in later models. I am also concerned that this occurred with only 16000 miles on my car. I do not feel safe driving with this problem. If it was a recall back in 2010, it should be a recall now. I am disappointed the NHTSA has not taken action.

- Saint Cloud, FL, USA

Sep 222015

Sonata

When doing 70mph and hitting the brakes the front end starts to vibrate, under 70mpn no vibration. Plus my steering wheel making a clicking sound.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Sep 012015

Sonata

The vehicle developed a clicking noise around 53kmiiles under the dash when turning the wheel. It became a larger problem one day on the highway at 65 mph the wheel started shaking as if the wheels were about to fall off. The dealer found the rubber gasket that holds the steering column in place had disintegrated, they replaced the part and the issue was resolved. I feel this was a very dangerous safety issue and since I have found so many others online postings of the same issue that I am convinced that this should be a safety recall. This model has a much higher than average amount of recalls. This however was the most dangerous issue I have had with the sonara and I was very afraid when I had a hard time to suddenly not be able to easily control the steering.

- Manassas Park, VA, USA

Sep 012014

Sonata

Shaking in steering... (thought it was ball joints - metal to metal)... told there was no problem with ball joints & no other issues determined (with their test drive). Local Hyundai service manager would not return repeated calls for complaint. Very disappointed now that "factory warranty & recall for steering problem" not worthy of repair at that time. Violently shaking now and Hyundai service department says it is not part of a steering recall (previously patched)... said it is a steering coupling (not the U joint which was part of the recall).

- Summerdale, AL, USA

Aug 032015

Sonata

While turning the steering wheel left or right, a bumping sound is felt and heard. This is new in the last 3000 miles. Took it to a local shop and they replaced a bushing but this did not resolve the problem. Called dealer and asked if there was a recall on steering and technician stated that I would have to drive to dealership for them to determine if this was normal wear or if it was part of recall.

- Greenwood, SC, USA

Aug 012015

Sonata

The steering wheel vibrates violently between 60 & 70 mph.I have to reduce speed on the highway to regain full control. When stopped, the steering wheel makes a clicking noise when turned just left or right. This is a safety issue. Please investigate/recall.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 35 mph, the steering wheel made a loud clicking noise intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,473.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jun 052015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that there was a progressing failure with an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel. Upon making a left or right turn, the steering wheel felt loose and caused an unsafe condition. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 10V457000 (steering) and 10V426000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Sep 102015

Sonata

The steering wheel input has slack in it, and shakes at 70 mph. A small turn left or right will stop the shake.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Aug 182015

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased this car less than a year ago. The steering wheel is making a clicking noise when moved from left to right and there is a clunking sound coming from the steering column when driving between 10 - 40 mph. When searching online, I have noticed that hundreds of Hyundai owners that have this make and model are experiencing the same issue. I feel unsafe when driving this car, especially when my grandchildren are with me. I understand there was a recall but I was told my car did not qualify. The dealer wants to charge me $100 just to look at it. This is a major safety issue!!!! is Hyundai waiting for someone to be killed before they do something and take responsibility for their cars. I now have 64,000 miles on this car, 4000 over the warranty and Hyundai refuses to fix unless I pay up front. I was told that Hyundai was a very good car but after reading all these horror stories about the steering issues, I will never purchase a Hyundai again. I believe safety comes before money and Hyundai should take responsibility and issue a recall for all 2011 Sonatas. Please help in keeping everyone safe and make Hyundai stand behind their cars and fix these known issues. Thank you.

- Pine Bush, NY, USA

Aug 312015

Sonata

Recently while turning steering wheel in park, heard clicking/popping noise. Could feel the clicking through the steering column. Local Hyundai dealership (where purchased) diagnosed issue on August 31,2015. Description of diagnosis on service paper. " recommend replacing coupler " cost of labor at $222.14 and part cost $3.65. This issue needs to be investigated for root cause and corrective actions. This coupler should not be wearing out after 81,319 miles. Also, if this had not been fixed soon., it may caused a steering issue. Last, I have read there are several hundred reports of this coupler issue. I already had another popping issue with steering last spring that the gear in steering rack failed per service report and was replaced.fortunately under warranty. With these issues mounting, with high labor cost, the long term reliability and cost to own this vehicle, is a concern.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Jul 092015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at 15 mph, the front drivers side of the vehicle vibrated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering column and the intermediate shaft universal joint connections needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Sep 042015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. When the vehicle was taken in for inspection, the technician stated that the steering flexible coupling needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number:10V426000 (steering). The failure mileage was 78,119.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA

Aug 312015

Sonata

Beginning August 31st, 2015 my 2011 Hyundai Sonata's steering wheel started making a clicking noise whenever it drove over any large bumpy areas in the road, no matter the speed driven over the bumps. Over the next week the steering wheel itself has started to feel like it is loosening and now makes the clicking noise whenever steering wheel is turned at all. Very little movement from the steering wheel causes a clicking noise now and there is significant movement in the wheel from the column, even when not in motion. The steering itself seems to be affected now as well, as it takes more maneuvering from the wheel by me to drive in normal conditions. From what I have read online and from the recall on some 2011 Sonata's this issue can become very dangerous and life threatening. I looked up the VIN to my vehicle and according to NHTSA and Hyundai.com my vehicle is not covered under this recall, even though the issues are exactly the same as what the recall covers.

- Tucson, AZ, USA