CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 23 of 43)

Aug 072015

Sonata 4-cyl

While driving on the highway and attempting to brake the steering wheel shook rapidly. The steering wheel makes a click when in park and I move the steeping wheel slightly off center to the left or the right. When driving at any speed and go over bumps on the road the steering wheel makes a clunk noise. The steering feels loose when driving on the highway at speeds of 60+. this is an issue that needs to be recalled. When I spoke to the dealer they said that my car doesn't have any recalls on the steering. It is obvious that there are more vehicles with this steering wheel issue that needs to be fixed at the manufacturers expense....updated 09/22/15

- Casselberry, FL, USA

Sonata

I own a 2011 Hyundai Sonata that recently began making a loud clunking noise from the interior steering. The steering is now loose and along with the loud clunking noise you can feel the clunk as you turn the steering wheel. I have an appointment scheduled to repair the issue along with a few other recalls. I was advised to contact Hyundai. I contacted Hyundai and advised them of the issue. I was informed there was a recall on certain 2011 Sonatas in reference to the same issue, however the recall had been closed and my vehicle was not included in that recall. According to the original recall the steering components can fail or disconnect causing the steering wheel to become inoperable while driving.

- Concord, NC, USA

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the steering wheel vibrated whenever driving over a bump. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 81,630. Updated 11/09/15

- Lillian, AL, USA

Jun 102015

Sonata

When I first got the car the steering wheel was a little lose. I called the dealership and asked them about it. John D ask if my life was in danger I said no. He said it's nothing they can do. At the time my life was not in danger when it came to the steering column, so I thought. As time went on it got worse to the point I felt that my life could be in danger. So I took it to two different car shops to get it fix cause I don't have a warranty. But both shop said to take it back asap. It could lock up on me at anytime and it is not safe to drive. I can afford another car. I'm afraid that something might happen when I have my kids in the car. The steering column shakes and make noise. I have to hold it real tight when driving so it won't go into other lanes. Please help me I don't know what to

- Antioch, CA, USA

Jun 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the steering wheel vibrated uncontrollably and made an abnormal noise. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Dallas , TX, USA

May 012015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the steering wheel shook violently and there was an abnormal noise while driving at 70 mph. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The contact had to reduce the speed to be able to bring the steering wheel under control. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column coupler failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000 (steering). The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Burlington , NC, USA

Jun 152015

Sonata 4-cyl

At the very beginning it was just a noise that sometimes you can barely hear whenever I was trying to turn the wheel to the right or to the left, but at the days goes by the situation its turning to the worst, the noise has became louder and the wheel is totally loose, right now you don't even have to turn the wheel to hear the noise you can hear the noise just with the regular vibration of the car on the road. I made a research and I found a recall for the 2011 Hyundai Sonata because of issues with the steering, I called Hyundai customer service in order to get information about the recall and they told me that my car was not part of the recall just because my car was made 2 months after the date on the recall, I explained that my car was having the same issue as the cars on the recall and my car was also made in the same fabric in Alabama as the cars on the recall with just two months of difference maybe my car also have the same problem with the steering as the others because its just two months and that's not enough time to fix something in some cases. The only option that they gave me was to address this situation to you guys (NHTSA) because you receive all the customers complaints and police reports and you guys are the only ones that can make a decision or the only ones that can make a recall here in this situation. Thanks in advanced for your help.....updated 10-13-15 updated 3/28/2016

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 102014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 40 mph, there was an abnormal noise that came from the front of the vehicle and the vehicle began to shake without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the steering column was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Castleberry , AL, USA

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. When turning the vehicle, the steering column made an abnormal clicking noise. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the steering column failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- West Point, MS, USA

Jul 042015

Sonata

An existing recall (NHTSA campaign number: 13V113000) indicates that for 2011 Hyundai Sonata the stop lamp switch may not function correctly. The recall notice states that: "during the affected models' production periods, some vehicles were equipped with stop lamp switch assemblies that may experience intermittent switch point contact. Potentially result in intermittent operation of the push-button start feature, (wich is happening) intermittent ability to remove the vehicle's shifter from the park position( also happening), or intermittent operation of the stop lamps.(happening also)" all of these symptoms have been observed in my vehicle, yet the brake light swtich was replaced on a routine service for a recall in 2014. I was not experiencing any trouble at that time. Now at 65000 miles and less then one year later my brakes wont turn off when my car is off resulting in my battery to die. Hyundai has had to come jump my car three times. When I brought it in they said they already replaced it and are no longer liable for it. Now my car is stopping and not allowing me to accelerate intermittenly during driving the vehicle. I also smell burning rubber coming from the inside brake area near the switch. Secondly, my steering coulum and alignment were off. I brought the car in to Hyundai in 2014 because of the steering being very looose and making a knocking noise when you moved it back and forth. They said it was the coupling wich they reaplaced and it did not resolve the malfunction. They then replaced the steering rack and perfomed an alignment and tire rotation with new tires. The noise went away but the alignment is still terribly off. Now when I make right turns it makes a loud clicking noise again and shakes at 65mph or over. My warrenty ended at 60,000 miles and now nothing is covered. I paid for an extended warrenty at purchuse of which they have no record of.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Jul 162015

Sonata

The steering on my vechile has become very loosely causing the steering to not steer properly. If you turn one direction your vechile may steer a different way. There needs to be a recall on the steering on this vechile in the us.

- Oakfield, TN, USA

Jun 152015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at 55 mph, the steering wheel made an abnormal clicking noise, vibrated, and sometimes moved independently. The contact stated that this was a recurring issue that became worse during inclement weather. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who informed the contact of NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering); however, the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 062015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 30 mph, there was a clicking noise that came from the steering column and the vehicle veered to the right without warning. When the brake pedal was depressed, the steering wheel began to shake. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who informed that the steering column failed and should be taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and was informed the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jul 032015

Sonata

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited displayed a loud rattling sound from the the steering column when driven over rough roadway. There was also a clunking sound from steering column when wheel was turned in either direction. Also noticed the steering wheel/column had dropped almost 2 inches from its originally mounted position. Local dealership indicated a flexible coupling in the steering shaft showed excessive deterioration--causing play in the steering, the noise and the dropping of the steering column. He stated it was the worst he has ever seen--extremely dangerous--his words--as steering capability could be lost. He wanted to keep the faulty part for reference--I declined and maintained the part for my records. I was advised Hyundai was aware of this particular defect and there was no recall at this time. Service manager simply said they don't make parts like they used to. The steering shaft coupler was replaced and the steering column was realigned. The repair was $383.72 with the part costing $49.50. This was not covered by recall or the extended warranty. I have researched this specific defect and found it to be an extremely dangerous one, and one which there have been numerous previous complaints filed with the NHTSA--I strongly believe a recall is warranted--for the safety of those in the vehicle and on the roadway.

- Bixby, OK, USA

Sonata

When the vehicle reaches 70mph the steering wheel shakes violently and the vehicle becomes difficult to control. There is a noticeable clunk and play in the steering in park or driving. Tires and alignment have been ruled out. The noise is coming from the power steering motor.

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

Jun 272015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While the vehicle was parked, the contact heard a noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,500.

- Clermont , FL, USA

May 252015

Sonata

As I was driving and/or steering I would hear a clicking noise. This was a safety concern to me so I did contact Hyundai to see if there had been any recalls. I was told not at this time only recall was for a shift level cable. Ok so I proceed to the dealership to learn that the part is $7 and the labor is $224. Nice. I am currently unemployed and need a car to find a job so its a lose lose situation. In my option this part should have been on a safety recall as I review the complaints I see this issue has occurred in many of Hyundai cars. Hyundai should take the responsibility to correct this safety issue. I was told that if I did not repair this part that much more damage would occur. I am asking that Hyundai research and come to their senses and issue a recall and a refund to me for their error. Updated 09/15/15

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Nov 302012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact was informed by the dealer that the steering shaft was replaced at 37,000 miles before the contact owned the vehicle. Upon the contact driving the vehicle, the steering wheel had a very strong vibration while turning right or left. When traveling over unleveled land, the vehicle made a knocking noise. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000. MA 08/13/15

- Piedmont, SC, USA

Mar 032015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While operating the vehicle, a popping and knocking noise was present from the steering column when the steering wheel was turned. In addition, when driving over 70 mph, the steering wheel vibrated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Aug 282014

Sonata

The steering column is making a clicking noise..I called Hyundai to see was it a recall on it bit was told it had already beed fixed.but after two months it started making the clicking noise...so if it was already fixed.why is the problem is still ongoing....can it be a lemon...or just a serious defect that just keep happen..then I looked it up on line and it said the steering wheel can come detached from the column....and I don't have the money to get it fixed...can someone please help before me or my family is hurt or killed.

- Bunnell, FL, USA