Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 23 of 39)

Dec 012014

Steering wheel coupler has broken. Not covered under warranty! this part if failing on many Sonatas and should be recalled.

- Holly Springs, MS, USA

Dec 262014

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering makes a clicking or knocking sound when turning left or right. Called dealership about steering recalls. They claimed one had already been performed and this sounded like a coupling problem. I have read other similar complaints. Part is less than 2 dollars...labor is over 200 dollars. I believe a recall should be issued if others are complaining about the same thing.

- Donna, TX, USA

Dec 242014

Sonata 4-cyl

The steering of my 2011 Hyundai Sonata gls makes clicking noise when turning the wheel left or right in parked. Also when I drive on a bad/uneven road, there is noise form the steering column as if something inside is loose. I fear that it may a safety issue. I see that many other Sonata owners have the same problem. Can this be investigated for a recall? thanks!

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

The steering column has a loud rattle and a `catch' that makes the car difficult to steer.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 212014

Sonata 4WD 4-cyl

Vehicle pulls to the left on highway. The higher speeds cause car to pull even more and after a while start to hurt arm. Car was built in April 13th 2011.

- West Melbourne, FL, USA

Nov 272014

Sonata 4-cyl

When I turn the steering wheel all the way in (I.e. when parallel parking), the power steering goes out. The eps light comes on in the dashboard and the steering wheel jumps all the way back to the center position. Steering is completely gone. When I then turn off the ignition and turn it back on, the steering is working properly again.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Nov 212014

As I was driving at about 40 mph the car made an electrical noise and the steering wheel began shaking violently. I fought the shaking wheel to pull the car over and turned it off. The steering wheel continued to shake violently for about 5 minutes with the key out of the ignition. It was exactly like this video: Https:// I took it to the dealership who replaced the steering column intermediate shaft as part of a recall and they told me I need a new steering column which is over $1,500 dollars as it was "not associated" with the recall and was not under warranty.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Nov 032014

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while turning the steering wheel, a clicking noise emitted from the steering column and the steering wheel became very loose making the steering unstable while operating the vehicle. The vehicle was not yet diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was informed that the VIN was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number 10V457000 (steering). The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Apr 232014

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased my 2011 Hyundai Sonata on Dec 15,2013 from a Hyundai dealer. In April I noticed that my vehicle was pulling to the right side. I took it to a different location and after several attempts of them correcting the issue they called me and told me they could not figure out what was wrong. I then took it to the Hyundai dealer and they replaced a sensor and told me it was done. Again my car will not stay in the lane. It pulls so much to the right and is very unsafe. I took it in again and they are telling me it is just the alignment. They even stated that someone else in my house hit something. I looked online and saw that there are numerous complaints of cars pulling to left or right. I was told there was a recall campaign 927 but they only did an alignment on December 23,2011 and nothing else was done but then it was closed, indicating that it had been fixed. They want me to pay for the alignment and told me my tires are bad because of how it drives. Hyundai is aware of the issues and gives me the run around.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 042014

Sonata 4-cyl

The vehicle makes a clicking noise when the steering wheel is turned in either direction especially when parking. It can also be herd and felt when driving over uneven surfaces. There's a looseness in the steering that is getting progressively worse over time. I was told by the dealer that the steering flex coupling needs to be replaced but it's not covered by any recalls. During my research of this issue I discovered an alarming amount of 2011 Hyundai Sonata owners experiencing the exact same issue which tells me this has to be a defect. Hyundai needs to issue an immediate recall on these steering flex couplings before someone gets seriously injured or killed. This is a very dangerous situation that needs to be addressed. The proof needed to avoid tragedy is just an internet search away.

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 132014

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while making a turn, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering) but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Spring, TX, USA

Oct 232014

Sonata 4-cyl

I was informed by several co-workers that there were recalls for our car, the 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The problems that are affecting my 2011 Hyundai Sonata are: Exterior lighting: Brake lights: Switches, brake light and steering: Gear box: Shaft sector. The only recall that the Hyundai dealer honored was from campaign 123. Campaign 110 and 122 will not be honored due to the manufacture date of my vehicle which is March 28, 2011. If my car is having the same problems as the other 2011 Hyundai Sonatas why can't my vehicle be repaired under the recall. I feel that this is unfair to consumers of the 2011 Hyundai Sonata due to a manufacturing date. Please give me some type of remedy for this matter!!! had I known about the business practices of Hyundai I would have never purchased this vehicle!!!

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jul 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

The vehicle was making a clicking noise every time the car is steering in either direction. It's even worst if it is drive in an uneven terrain. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired because it was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 10V457000 or #10V426000. For both campaigns, the last date of manufacturing is 09/10/2010 and my vehicle was manufactured on 10/18/2010. In addition, buttons on the right side of the steering wheel are not working.the approximate failure mileage was 87,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 242014

Sonata 4-cyl

Driving on a busy street, turned down a residential street and the steering wheel started shaking violently. We have own the car since June, 2013 and this has been an ongoing problem. The will be a beep, then the eps and traction control will show on the dash board and then the steering wheel will start to shake violently. My husband shut off the vehicle and it violently shake for 20 mins. At times when this problem occurred in the past the car would be on but we did not even leave the drive way. The first time it did it me was 4 months after purchasing the vehicle and I had my child in the back seat taking her to school when the steering wheel started shaking violently, I was in the middle of a busy intersection and I couldn't get out because I was not strong enough to handle the steering wheel, and we almost got hit. Each time (more than 5 times now) we were either stopped or going less than 25 miles per hour, the eps and traction will light, and the steering wheel will shake violently anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 minutes. There was a time when my husband was driving in our small town when the eps light was on but my husband had no power steering. The steering wheel didn't shake.

- Maize, KS, USA

Oct 222014

Sonata 4-cyl

Have replaced brake lights 5 times due to someome telling me they were out. Was stop by a cop today because both brake lights he said we're out. Why are these lights burning out so fast" automotive guy said put some grease on bulb then place them in. I did and they still went out"

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 102014

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering wheel developed noise with turning and more free-play in steering wheel. I took car to dealer who replaced coupling seal. According to dealer, this has been a common problem that can lead to significant steering problems.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

Oct 042014

I have noticed a click or slight knock coming from the steering when turning wheel left or right at low speeds, especially when parking. Over uneven surfaces there is shaking or shutter in the steering column also. These conditions seem to be worsening. I will be scheduling for service.

- Monticello, FL, USA

Sep 182014

Sonata 4-cyl

There is something going on with the steering wheel or column there is loud popping noise in steering wheel you can hear it in and outside of car. When you turn left or right. I have not had it inspect end yet just bought vehicle haven't had it a year and have had several repairs so far.

- Saraland, AL, USA

Oct 172014

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering column bushing becomes frayed and chips/breaks cause loud popping/clunking noise going over uneven payment and loose steering conditions. I am told this would ultimately cause failed steering ability. Many reports of exactly same issue are being posted on Hyundai forums.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Sep 082014

Sonata 4-cyl

The steering wheel feels like there is significant backlash when moving it from left to right (especially at low speeds). This is also associated with a clicking sound. In addition, when hitting a bump in the road, it sounds like something has come loose in the steering column. I am taking the vehicle in for service on October 16 to investigate.

- Fulshear, TX, USA