CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 24 of 43)

Jan 032014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving at any speed, the steering wheel vibrated and made an abnormal noise. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,000.

- Elgin, TX, USA

Apr 152015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving the vehicle or while stationary, the contact heard abnormal noises coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer or independent mechanic prior to the failure and repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 95,678.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 142014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel made a shaking motion. The failure recurred multiple times and at different speeds. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000 (steering); however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000. MA 10/8

- Tamarac, FL, USA

May 232013

Sonata

Whenever I make a turn the steering wheel makes a clicking noise. I wast old that it could be the flex coupling in the steering column and that other people has taken their cars with the same problem to the dealerships to get the problem fixed. But when I went to the dealership they said that is no recall for my car. I'm trying to figure out if I do rate the recall because it does concern 2011 Sonata and I do have a 2011 Sonata.

- Melbourne , FL, USA

May 252015

Sonata

Detected slack in steering wheel, accompanied with thunk and noise that is both felt and heard. Slack and noise is prevalent with engine running or engine off. A slight but distinct rotational noise is also heard at idle. Problem appears to be consistent with worn or loose steering components.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 042014

Sonata

When traveling at low speeds car makes a clunking sound. Was very concern something was wrong with the suspension, took the car to my mechanic. The mechanic put the vehicle on the lift and found the suspension to be in good shape. He then test drove the car and stated there is a problem with the 2011 Sonatas with the power steering. Stated that a rubber coupling in the motor driven power steering assembly is a common problem with the 2011 Hyundai Sonatas.

- Palmetto, FL, USA

May 272015

Sonata

Steering wheel has been making cracking noises. I took my car to the vandergriff Hyundai dealership and was told this was happening to others and it was the flex couping in the steering column due to material failure which could resolute in loss of steering capability increasing the risk of a crash. I was told the original material in the steering wheel is a thick piece of plastic and could crack easily and Hyundai had sent a replacement piece, which is more flexible and durable, to the dealerships but I was forced to pay nearly $500 even though Hyundai is aware of the problem. I inquired about a recall linked to the problem and was told, there is no current recall. This is a safety issue.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 062015

Sonata

While driving I made a right turn and heard a clicking sound in the steering column. I had heard this once before & the problem was supposed to be fixed, but I guess it was a cosmetic fix. It makes the sound everytime I make a right turn.

- Katy, TX, USA

May 192015

Sonata

Steering wheel begins to shake when speed reaches 70-75 mph. The steering wheel feels loose when the car is in motion. Wheel alignment and tire rotation were performed but the issue persists.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Apr 112015

Sonata

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata began making a loud clicking noise in the steering wheel. This would happen while driving, regardless of speed, and while stationary and moving the wheel either left or right. When I drive over potholes or broken/uneven pavement the noise is loud and the steering wheel starts to shake as if it would fall off at any time. Hyundai said this was not covered by warranty and I see that there was a recall for this same issue for certain vehicles made between 12/11/09 and 9/10/15. Very displeased with this and with Hyundai. I think they are waiting for someone to get seriously hurt before they investigate this and by then it will be too late. It shouldnt have to get that far.

- Dallas, NC, USA

May 082015

Sonata

Vehicle stopped functioning at 60 mph on an interstate on a Friday night. Had to coast to side of road dodging other cars. Tried to restart vehicle with no luck. Electrical started going haywire. Interior lights started flashing as well as dashboard lights. Smoke was coming from hood of car. Within 20 minutes a road Ranger checked the status of the car and said all fluids looked good. Battery tested good. But was unable to get vehicle to start. Two hours later it was towed to a Hyundai dealership. Was told it appears to be the engine but was told they replaced the starter first because they thought it was that. Finally, told it was the engine and it would need to be replaced. Thankfully it is still under warranty. It's last service was the middle of April. They told me that the steering is possibly going on it. They reported a knocking noise. Nothing has been done to steering as of yet but now that they will have car for up to 3 weeks will probably have them check that too especially after reading many of the complaints on this and other websites.

- Zolfo Spring, FL, USA

Feb 042015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 20 mph over a bump or crack in the road, the steering wheel felt abnormal. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 10426000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Apr 082015

Sonata

At first the vehicle would shift to the left and the right. Eventually at speeds above 55 the steering wheel will shake. Now at low speeds just to make a turn the steering wheel clicks loud.

Apr 082015

Apr 012015

Sonata

The steering column makes a large clicking noise anytime the steering wheel is moved. It sounds as if it is coming loose and is not properly installed. There is no current recall on this item. I am having it checked out tomorrow.

Jul 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

I believe my problem started since I purchased the car in Aug-2010. On the third day of purchase I returned to the dealer cause I noticed that on the freeway it lend to the right, nothing was done. This continued for severe months along with different exam & testing nothing ever conform a problem. About July of 2014 driving 80mph (to avoid being hit) I noticed steering wheel vibrated violently, since I had never driven over 75mph this problem was unknown to me. I thought it was the road or the sudden acceleration. Recently on April 27,2015 driving to work I noticed that no matter what speed over 50mph I was going, it cause the steering wheel to shake violently like if I have a flat. When car was checked I was told that the issue is in the steering column something bent/cracked. My car was manufacture on July 2, 2010 in Alabama, a friend told me about a recall on 2011 Sonata's. but when I called dealer I was told my car was not one of the recall ones. I don't understand how or who decides which car should be on the list, if a problem occurs in a specific time period shouldn't all vehicles be given the same importance. Safety should always be first before $$ doesn't hydundai know that this is how you keep families coming back. I had planned to purchase one for my daughter who is graduating in June but will have to rethink that. I love my car but not if safety is a issue, hydundai really needs to re-look at this problem!

- Wildomar, CA, USA

Apr 272015

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering wheel makes a loud noise at the slightest turn, even when the car is turned off. Noise is even louder when on the road and can occur without moving the steering wheel. Feels like the steering wheel is going to fall off at any moment. Dealer says this is a known problem that will cost at least $250 to fix. If I get it fixed and then there's a recall, nobody can tell me if I'll get a refund.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Jan 312015

Sonata 4-cyl

The steering wheel is making a loud clicking noise it feels that if something is loose it doesn't make a difference at what speeds your going it causes the steering wheel to vibrate or shake violently.there is no recall for that problem for my vehicle but there are recall for some Hyundai Sonata built between certain dates which my vehicle doesn't fall under.I think its the same problem and there should be a recall for all Hyundai Sonata with the same problems why risk somebody's life just repair the vehicle.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Apr 172015

Sonata

While driving my car I started to hear a clicking sound every time I turn either right/left and when I drive over a small bump in the road. Called local Hyundai dealership and was told I would have to pay a diagnostic fee just to look at the car. I told them I would not pay anything for a safety hazard. I started my research and have seen that this car had a recall about the same issue and when I called corporate I was told it doesn't fall under my vehicle VIN number. I really don't care what the VIN is, if I have a 2011 Sonata I want this fixed! this is a major safety issue and needs to be corrected asap. When will it change" when someone dies or gets hurt?" this was my first and last time I will purchase a Hyundai. I am totally disappointed and concerned. I don't even drive the car anymore. I want this corrected now!!! lets not wait for the worst to happen.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Sonata

Car does not shift from park to reverse or drive properly all the time.

- Suitland, MD, USA