CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 26 of 43)

Jan 212015

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that there was an unknown noise coming from the steering wheel while driving at low speeds. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Mar 042013

Sonata

When first purchased in March of 2014 noticed a little clicking in steering when turned left or right. Now its gotten worst! even when parked it clicks. When we hit the smallest bump on the road it clicks and shakes bad. I'm to the point of scared to drive my own car. I'm scared I would have no control of the steering one day. I can not drive this car with my 3 kids in it. I thought I bought me a safe family car. I was wrong. I'm doing my research right now and see lot others have this problem. It needs to be a recall. My Hyundai dealer says it's the coupling. He knew exactly what problem I was having. Like it isn't news to him. It'll gonna cost me $349 to get this fixed"!?!"

- Seguin, TX, USA

Nov 122014

Sonata 4-cyl

The car make a loud thump and the steering is loose when you turn the steering wheel from side to side had it check out and stated it might be the bearings.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Mar 202014

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased a used 2011 Sonata on 3/19/14. Within a few days, I noticed that when I reached 70 mph, the steering wheel began to vibrate violently. I called the service manager at the dealership who said it sounded like the wheel alignment. Since I work only 6 mi. From home and I hardly ever drove 70 mph, and the dealership is about an hour's drive from home, it was not until 5/19 that I had the alignment done. I paid $58.40 for the work, on the way home I found that it still vibrated at 70 mph. Due to having recently spent so much to buy the car, I couldn't afford to spend any more on it then and decided to keep my speed under 70 until I had more money. On about 9/8, the steering wheel starting making a grinding noise when I turned the wheel when backing out of my parking place. On 9/10 I called the service manager at the dealership again who suggested I take my car somewhere closer to home. I took my car to an automotive repair company, who was recommended by several friends. He removed the driveshaft and said the coupling was "dust" and it was metal against metal. He then said there was a safety notice but not a safety recall on this problem. From that day forward I have had no vibration in the steering wheel. I believe there should be a safety recall before someone gets hurt or killed. I would also like my $421.40 reimbursed.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Jan 012013

Sonata

Two issues: 1. I purchased the vehicle used in December 2012. Immediately noticed a left pull, so the dealership agreed to align the vehicle prior to us driving off the lot. Since then, the car has never been properly aligned with the dealership consistently stating "you must be hitting too many potholes". I drive a Sonata, not an off-road vehicle. Absolute bologna! I've gone through 2 new tires and three alignments since with the left pull still occurring. Finally, I decided to give up on the dealer and take it to a local repair shop who informed me I'll need to install an aftermarket camber bolt kit and this is a known issue in Sonatas. I'm hoping this will fix the problem, but it seems utterly ridiculous that none of the Hyundai dealerships would ante up and take the blame for this and consistently took my money for an alignment that never fixed the problem. 2. loud clicking when turning left or right at any speed which is getting significantly worse. The clicking was mild when I first purchased the vehicle and has since gotten significantly worse. When I spoke with the dealership about this, they want to charge me another $200+ to fix. **needless to say, I will never purchase a Sonata again. They don't take responsibility for anything.

- Cornelius, NC, USA

Dec 302014

Sonata 4-cyl

I recently purchased a 2011 Hyundai Sonata gls on 12-26-14 with 97,300 miles. The car only came with one key so I decided to get another key from local Hyundai dealership. While there I decided to check on any recalls the car may of had and not yet done. The service department pulled up 4 total recalls which hasn't been taken care of yet. I told them about a clunking feel in the steering wheel when I turned it to the left or right. They said it was the flexible coupling........a round thick rubber part that looks like a gear. Rubber.....really......in the steering gear system"????? the technician said this part is a safety hazard and wears out on a regular basis to the point you could loose total control of steering. Come to find out that part was replaced around 26,000 miles. They said it wasn't a recall item and the replaced part was only warrantied 12 months/12,000 miles. They also informed me it was a safety issue and I should get it replaced asap! the total cost is $250.......$8 for part and the rest is labor. Not a big surprise.......labor's always more expensive than the part! I didn't do a lot of research on the car before I bought it. Shame on me!!!! within an hour on the internet I learned a great deal on the unbelievable number of people who are having this problem. I don't understand why Hyundai hasn't recalled the flexible coupling? I'm going to dig a little deeper to see how many accidents/deaths are associated with this particular part. I'd love to know if there's a class action lawsuit against Hyundai on this part" Hyundai you are putting a tremendous amount of peoples lives in risk of injury or death because you will not recall a part which is less than $10!!!!! oh, how about redesigning the part which is rubber and making it out of something more durable!!!!! selling this deathtrap asap and getting a Honda or Toyota!!!!!! seriously!!!!!!!....updated 01/23/15

- Jacksonville, AL, USA

Nov 012014

Sonata

Steering makes a clicking or knocking sound when turning left, right, and even when in park. Driving on uneven roads makes the clicking noise as well. I called the dealership about steering recalls. They claimed one had already been performed and this sounded like a coupling problem.I took it in for am overview and they confirmed it is the coupling. I have read many similar complaints with even worse results. The part itself is cheap to replace online...but labor is over 250 dollars at the local dealer. I believe a recall should be issued immediately before any more steering issues take place or before fatal accidents happen! I have tried contact many, and not one has taken my concern seriously.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 012014

Sonata

The steering of my 2011 Hyundai Sonata gls makes clicking noise when turning the wheel left or right in parked. The noise is present when I'm driving at or around 70mph. I fear that it may a safety issue.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 022014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel veered to the right without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic assist needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Stanwood, WA, USA

Dec 012014

Sonata

Steering wheel coupler has broken. Not covered under warranty! this part if failing on many Sonatas and should be recalled.

- Holly Springs, MS, USA

Dec 262014

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering makes a clicking or knocking sound when turning left or right. Called dealership about steering recalls. They claimed one had already been performed and this sounded like a coupling problem. I have read other similar complaints. Part is less than 2 dollars...labor is over 200 dollars. I believe a recall should be issued if others are complaining about the same thing.

- Donna, TX, USA

Dec 242014

Sonata 4-cyl

The steering of my 2011 Hyundai Sonata gls makes clicking noise when turning the wheel left or right in parked. Also when I drive on a bad/uneven road, there is noise form the steering column as if something inside is loose. I fear that it may a safety issue. I see that many other Sonata owners have the same problem. Can this be investigated for a recall? thanks!

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 012014

Sonata 4-cyl

The steering column has a loud rattle and a `catch' that makes the car difficult to steer.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 212014

Sonata 4WD 4-cyl

Vehicle pulls to the left on highway. The higher speeds cause car to pull even more and after a while start to hurt arm. Car was built in April 13th 2011.

- West Melbourne, FL, USA

Nov 272014

Sonata 4-cyl

When I turn the steering wheel all the way in (I.e. when parallel parking), the power steering goes out. The eps light comes on in the dashboard and the steering wheel jumps all the way back to the center position. Steering is completely gone. When I then turn off the ignition and turn it back on, the steering is working properly again.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Nov 212014

Sonata

As I was driving at about 40 mph the car made an electrical noise and the steering wheel began shaking violently. I fought the shaking wheel to pull the car over and turned it off. The steering wheel continued to shake violently for about 5 minutes with the key out of the ignition. It was exactly like this video: Https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=kzabdamqaps I took it to the dealership who replaced the steering column intermediate shaft as part of a recall and they told me I need a new steering column which is over $1,500 dollars as it was "not associated" with the recall and was not under warranty.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Nov 032014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while turning the steering wheel, a clicking noise emitted from the steering column and the steering wheel became very loose making the steering unstable while operating the vehicle. The vehicle was not yet diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was informed that the VIN was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number 10V457000 (steering). The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Apr 232014

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased my 2011 Hyundai Sonata on Dec 15,2013 from a Hyundai dealer. In April I noticed that my vehicle was pulling to the right side. I took it to a different location and after several attempts of them correcting the issue they called me and told me they could not figure out what was wrong. I then took it to the Hyundai dealer and they replaced a sensor and told me it was done. Again my car will not stay in the lane. It pulls so much to the right and is very unsafe. I took it in again and they are telling me it is just the alignment. They even stated that someone else in my house hit something. I looked online and saw that there are numerous complaints of cars pulling to left or right. I was told there was a recall campaign 927 but they only did an alignment on December 23,2011 and nothing else was done but then it was closed, indicating that it had been fixed. They want me to pay for the alignment and told me my tires are bad because of how it drives. Hyundai is aware of the issues and gives me the run around.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 042014

Sonata 4-cyl

The vehicle makes a clicking noise when the steering wheel is turned in either direction especially when parking. It can also be herd and felt when driving over uneven surfaces. There's a looseness in the steering that is getting progressively worse over time. I was told by the dealer that the steering flex coupling needs to be replaced but it's not covered by any recalls. During my research of this issue I discovered an alarming amount of 2011 Hyundai Sonata owners experiencing the exact same issue which tells me this has to be a defect. Hyundai needs to issue an immediate recall on these steering flex couplings before someone gets seriously injured or killed. This is a very dangerous situation that needs to be addressed. The proof needed to avoid tragedy is just an internet search away.

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 132014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while making a turn, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering) but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Spring, TX, USA