CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 29 of 43)

Jul 162013

Sonata 4-cyl

Dear sir/madam, I'm contacting you to report what I strongly believe is a defect in the steering unit of Hyundai Sonata, 2011. In an article that was published in September 2010 at yahoo news, a recall problem of the Sonata was reported after "complaints have come in about feeling looseness while driving or abnormal sounds coming from the steering columns." (voices.yahoo.com/Hyundai-recall-2011-Hyundai-Sonata-sedans-steering-6864748.html) my problem with Hyundai matches the description of the complaints, with more complication: 1) when I start the car, without driving, if I steer the steering wheel left and right, I could hear an obnoxiously loud noise in the form of "clicking." One consumer videotapes this problem in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=otkcp-8xhsw 2) when I drive on a road that is less than perfectly smooth, I can hear a loud rattling noise, a noise that appears to be coming from loose parts in the column. The noise becomes most obvious and loudest when I drive slowly on brick roads. 3) the problem becomes most dangerous when I drive on the freeway. As I slow down to take an exit, the steering wheel goes viciously vibrating, making it hard to control or keep stable. This vibration is associated with a loud rattling noise coming from the steering column. I took the car to the Hyundai dealer and talked to Hyundai usa, both parties distanced the problem from campaign 97 (a steering intermediate shaft recall). The dealer says that I need to replace the entire steering column on my expenses. If the dealer is right that the problem is not related to the recall, then it is a new problem that needs to be addressed and investigated. Please take into account that the safety of Hyundai Sonata drivers could be endangered by this problem if not fixed. I hope to hear from you soon regarding this matter.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Feb 032014

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering column makes clunk/rattle noise driving down rough road, bumps, and small potholes at high and low speed, it more noticeable at low speed. While at standing it makes no noise.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Apr 022012

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering too tight, wrist and hands get very stressed in short time, keeps pulling to a side, need to put force on steering to stay in lane, very stressful to make turns at all speeds, steering set to low stiffness by dealer, yet very painful, no fix from dealer, says thats how it is since its electronic steering. I see several blogs about the same issue, surprising that there is no remedy. Turbo failed twice before 50K.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Mar 312011

Sonata 4-cyl

On going steering drift issues. Hyundai did a service bulletin 927. Car still wants to veer mostly left. Wrist fatigued hold car in a line. Dealer blew me off when I came in with concerns. www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/03/2011-Hyundai-Sonata-steering-update-new-strut-similar-alignment-issue/index.htm.

- Federal Way, Wa, WA, USA

Apr 232014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that when making a turn in either direction, an abnormal knocking was heard from the steering wheel without warning. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering coupler needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the vehicle was inspected already under NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 84,450.

- Coco , FL, USA

Mar 112014

Sonata 4-cyl

On March 11, 2014 approximately at 3:30 pm I went to my car in an underground garage. I entered the car, put my seat belt on, and put the car in reverse. Then when putting car in drive, the steering wouldn't move and without acceleration the car took off..my foot was on the brake when the car took off. At that time, I tried to brake and had no steering or brakes. When that happened with the car accelerating, I had no brakes or steering. I crashed into my husbands car that was parked in spot next to me. I smashed his rear right panel. The car was going at such a speed my husband's car was pushed a couple of feet over. If his car was not there, I would have crashed into the cement wall. As for my car, I smashed the left front fender, head light and lower panel on the front of the car. The car immediately went dead. I immediately called my insurance company and proceeded to call Hyundai. I had vehicle towed to the auto body shop for repairs caused by accident. After the body shop repairs were finished, the car was towed to Hyundai. This auto body shop had the car for 2-3 weeks. Hyundai technicians were called in to check. Hyundai's final outcome/decision was that there were no findings and they feel they are not responsible. I was then called to pick the car up the manager. He claimed to have phoned me numerous amount of times, but this is false. I only received one call from him. The car is unsafe to drive since this is the second incident involving the same problem the car was towed from Hyundai back to my residence and parked in the underground garage. I find this completely appalling and very upsetting that this has happened. This is not the response or service I expected to receive from a so called reputable company. This could have resulted in serious injury or fatalities. I feel Hyundai is totally responsible for this situation. They are not taking responsibility for this.

- Harwood Heights, IL, USA

Feb 102014

Sonata 4-cyl

Vehicle drifts to left and steering wheels requires extra/unnecessary force to correct direction of travel.

- Burleson, TX, USA

Feb 262014

Sonata 4-cyl

Steering wheel will make loud clunking noise as U turn the steering wheel it feels as if its loose, or the steering column about to com a part, I contacted Hyundai the manufacture asked me to drop the car at local dealer for inspection, local dealer refused to inspect or repair the vehicle, 2 weeks of count less hours on the phone with Hyundai customer support resulted in I must pay inspection & repairs.

- Tampa , FL, USA

Feb 272014

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph over a pot hole, the power steering assist suddenly malfunctioned and made it very difficult to the turn the steering wheel. The driver turned the engine off and after restarting the engine, the vehicle resumed normally. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer but the failure could not be duplicated and no repairs were performed. The contact experienced the failure a second time and the manufacturer was contacted. The manufacturer made arrangements to have the vehicle diagnosed by the dealer a second time. The failure mileage was 51,025.

- Hilton, NY, USA

Oct 012013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle exhibited a loud noise and shook violently. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel bushing needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 10V457000 (steering). The approximate failure and current mileage was 85,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 092014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the steering wheel would begin to shake. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the bushing in the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Dec 312013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that when driving above 50 mph, the vehicle would violently shake. The contact had the vehicle diagnosed by an independent mechanic, who indicated the steering column was defective. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 100,034.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 072012

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that when driving over 35 mph, the vehicle would drift into the next lane on either side and would not remain in a straight line. The alignment was adjusted by the dealer on three separate occasions but the defect was not remedied. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 100. Updated 02/27/14

- Glen View, IL, USA

Dec 102013

Sonata 4-cyl

On December 10, 2013 I was getting into my car and when I put the keys into ignition and turned the car on the eps light came on, so I then went into the glove compartment to get the Sonata book out to see what that means the steering wheel started shaking violently. I was so scared that the car was going to blow, I turned the car off, and took the keys out to see if it would stop, but it didn't, it was still shaking. I then had to get the car towed to porter Hyundai. They then recalibrated the steering angle sensor and cleared the code. Then on Sunday December 29, 2013 my son was driving the car and while he was driving the eps light came on and the steering wheel started shaking violently again while he was driving, it was very hard for him to get control of the vehicle. He tried turning the car off but the wheel was still shaking. So after I had to take it back down to porter Hyundai today, they have yet to get back with me about the matter.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Feb 082012

Sonata 4-cyl

I bought my 2011 Hyundai Sonata back in February 2012 from enterprise car sales and ever since I bought it I been hearing a knocking sound in the front end of my car while im driving from maybe 10mph to 40mph. But on the highway when I reach speeds over 50mph I don't hear anything. I have taken it to the dealer numerous of times I have had certified mechanics check it and they told me it could be one of the motor mounts but the dealer never wanted to change it they kept telling me the car was fine. Now its going to be a year later and my car has that same knocking sound in the front but now its extremely loud. I can feel the knocking through the steering too so now I don't know what to do.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 042013

Sonata 4-cyl

I am reporting a third incident that occurred after the date of the earlier two incidents I previously reported in my earlier complaints. After the previous incident, Hyundai burlingame (1025 rollins road, burlingame, ca 94010), installed a new engine and installed a new fuel intake valve. On October 19, 2013, the second repair work was completed and I picked up the car. On December 4, 2013, I was driving the car on us 101, northbound traveling approximately 70 mph when the car began to make loud clanging noises and violently shake and shudder and the engine light came on. I was able to pull off the highway just as the car again experienced a catastrophic engine failure. As the engine failed, the power to the steering went out and this made the car difficult to maneuver. The car was towed to Hyundai burlingam and is awaiting repair.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 042013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated stated that while turning at various speeds, he heard a knocking sound. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where who stated the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 10V457000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- St. Augustine, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel began to vibrate violently. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was being driven. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign id numbers: 10V426000 (steering) and 10V457000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician informed the contact that the steering column and front driver's side axle would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 67,382. Updated 12-26-13

- Apopka, FL, USA

Oct 032013

Sonata 4-cyl

I am reporting a second incident that occurred after the date of the first incident I previously reported in my earlier complaint. As noted in my earlier complaint, the car had experienced catastrophic engine failure. I had the car taken for repair to the Hyundai licensed dealer and automotive repair service center operated by Hyundai burlingame (1025 rollins road, burlingame, ca 94010). The repair center explained the engine would have to be completely replaced and so would the fuel intake valve. A new engine and intake valve were installed in the car. On 10/2/2013, the repair work was completed and my spouse picked up the car and returned to our residence. On 10/3/2013, my spouse was driving the repaired car to work during the morning commute on southbound I-280 in the bay area when the car began to make loud clanging noises and violently shake and shudder. My spouse was able to pull of the highway just as the car again experienced catastrophic engine failure and the engine began releasing very heavy dark smoke. As the engine failed, the power to the steering went out and this made the car difficult to maneuver. The car was towed to the nearest authorized Hyundai dealer and service repair center, stevens creek Hyundai (4425 steven creek blvd., santa clara, ca 95051). Stevens creek Hyundai opened the hood of the car and examined the engine. Steven creek Hyundai told my spouse there was a high pressure gasoline leak and gasoline had been spurting on the hot engine and also that there was some sort of catastrophic engine failure.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Sep 272013

Sonata 4-cyl

While driving at approximately 10mph I heard a rattle from the front of the car. I suspected it was suspension related but then noticed there was some play in the steering. Turning the steering wheel left and right just slightly causes the sound to occur. On the NHTSA website I found there was a recall for steering issues for my year and model car. I took it to key Hyundai in jacksonville and they verified the steering column and intermediate shaft were the source. My car is not included in the recall even though it has the exact issue. The dealer wants $1310.75 to repair my 2 year old car.

- Saint Marys, GA, USA