CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 3 of 43)

Aug 302016

Sonata

Recently I noticed the steering in my 2011 Hyundai Sonata had developed quite a bit of "play" in it. When taking my Sonata in for an unrelated recall I asked the service advisor about it. He said they would check it out. After doing so he informed me that a plastic coupler in the steering column was worn and would need to be replaced. The car only had 40,000 miles on it at that point. I was surprised that a car with that low mileage would need such an important part that could prove to cause loss of steering if it broke. The service advisor said they were "seeing a lot of these come in for repair and was surprised they haven't issued a recall on them". I agree. I believe a car with 40K miles should not be having such problems, especially with safety related equipment. More importantly, I am fearful for the countless folks out there who may not be aware they have a potential problem with their steering, a problem that could cause a fatal crash. This problem needs to be addressed. Thank you.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Oct 262016

Sonata

Steering began to make a clicking noise, then progressed over a few days to a thumping noise, then steering became increasingly less responsive and noisy when driving or going over bumps.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Nov 022016

Sonata

The steering column is shaking if you hit a bump. Cruise control and the horn does not work now

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 242016

Sonata

Every time I drive over a bump or turn the steering wheel, it makes a clicking/clunking sound. I just went past my warranty-covered mileage of 60,000 miles.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Oct 032016

Sonata

When I went in for an oil change and brake noise complaint (which is another constant problem), I was questioned if I was hearing clicking in the steering wheel when turning. I hadn't. I was told that this was a problem with the 2011 and 2012 Sonatas' steering coupler, and if I didn't hear the noise, I soon would so I should fix it (~$360). I asked if there was a recall, since it seemed to be enough of a problem that it was a known problem at the dealership. They said there was no recall, but I should get it replaced. I hadn't heard any noises, so I declined the repair. Little did I realize, it would begin the very next day. My steering wheel now rattles and clicks every time I go over even a small bump in the road, or turn my steering wheel, and it is getting worse. I even called Hyundai, and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. If the dealership has seen this in multiple cars, and there are plenty other similar complaints online, why is this not a recall" why are the owners being responsible for this repair"

- Mclean, VA, USA

Oct 282016

Sonata

Failure of the steering column flexible coupling.- I was driving on the highway when this occurred- this caused my car to lose driving control - I had knocking sound in the steering wheel and it was very difficult to control the driving. The part is a small rubber coupling that is located inside of the power steering assist motor. The part appears to be the manufacturer default (it was made of soft rubber) - Hyundai has developed a new replacement part that is made of a harder rubber the new part # 56315-2K000-fff. Everyone that has a Hyundai Sonata 2011 should have this flexible coupling replaced to prevent losing control of the automobile. At a minimum car owner should be notified of the possibility of this happening when driving. This does not appear to be in normal routine maintenance issue.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Oct 242016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the steering column was improperly assembled. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who diagnosed that the steering column needed to be re-assembled. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V457000 (steering), although the contact experienced the same failure listed in the recall. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Oct 292016

Sonata

The flexible coupling (part # 56315-2K000) failed. Had to have the vehicle towed to the dealership due to lack of steering control. Hyundai refuses to warranty or recall the part even though thousands of people have posted the same complaint on this website. $260 repair for a $6 part ($253 labor). This is unacceptable on their part to not warranty or recall a defective part.

- Senoia, GA, USA

Sep 012016

Sonata

What I thought was just normal 'sound' coming from the steering wheel/column has progressed to loud noise ie turning the steering wheel; going over potholes/bumps at various speeds, but very progressive in low speeds [city driving]. this loud noise seemed to reverberate all the way down to the driver side front suspension. It's like there's 'play' when turning the steering wheel before it engages. 'clicking' sound is very pronounced when turning the wheel from a stop or when backing up, the first time I turn the wheel. Or even if the car is stopped, turning the wheel left/right I can hear a pronounced 'clicking' sound, like something is loose in there. Is this why the car sometimes veer left?I understand there is an active recall but should more VIN be covered with this. Please help.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Sep 212016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle began to veer in both directions. As a result, the contact had to steer the vehicle in excess in order to keep it in position. In addition, the brake pedal was depressed and it took a longer amount of time for the vehicle to come to a complete halt. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle needed to be repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 16V190000 (steering). The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 092016

Sonata 4-cyl

Power steering coupler is failing. Service at dealership told me I would need to have this replaced. From reading the vast number of complaints from other people having the exact same issue, it is apparent that the part in question is defective. When are they going to issue a recall for replacement of this part? Hyundai appears to be knowingly putting the lives of its customers in jeopardy because they don't want to pay to have the problem corrected.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Oct 242016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. When the contact retrieved the vehicle after a recall repair for the steering, the steering wheel failed to work properly. The steering wheel made abnormal noises when it was turned. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel recall repair was performed without touching the steering wheel system. The failure occurred only after the recall repair was performed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Watsonville, CA, USA

Oct 262016

Sonata 4-cyl

The Hyundai dealer replaced the steering coupler on my 2011 Hyundai Sonata on October 26, 2016. He said when driving the car into the maintenance garage, he heard the steering coupler making noise, checked it, and found that it was faulty and was a safety hazard. The car has 66,000 miles on it and is driven mostly at low speeds in city traffic. In view of the driving conditions and limited mileage, I wonder if the failure of the steering coupler suggests a design flaw.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 232015

Sonata 4-cyl

The steering wheel felt loose one day after coming home from work. Then my wife used the car and told me that she noticed the car felt like it wasn't responding on the turns like usual" so we had the car like this for a few months but got used to this problem and thought it was just wear and tear. Well one day I had to avoid another vehicle that was creeping out of a driveway and couldn't see me, and when I made that sudden quick half turn to the left the car kept on driving straight so I braked hard locked up the wheels and skidded about 4 feet or so! we immediately took the Sonata in to get it checked and we were then told that we were pretty lucky because the steering column was not held on by the steering flex coupler, had no idea what I was being told. But later I was told by a fleet member there that I was pretty lucky to never have lost control of the car while making a turn or braking hard... wow! I just started wondering how many Sonatas have been in accidents because of something related to this" I just feel that this part was defective and never should of had any problem with my steering column. $474.96 cost for this repair.

- Baldwin Park, CA, USA

Oct 112016

Sonata

The steering column coupler is clanking and needs to be replaced per Hyundai dealer's service department.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 102016

Sonata

The steering column seems loose and every time I run over a bump whether small or big there is a rattle that seems to come from the steering column section. And it seems to be getting worse. It is actually described in a recall from 10/2010. Something is loose in there. I have seen that it's more recent to in the complaints. Can the closed recall be reopened?

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sonata

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata recently began having play in the steering column. It has 91,853 miles on it now but started about 1,500 miles ago. When you turn the steering wheel there is movement before the actual wheel assembly is engaged. I am concerned that it may get worse or even fail. Although there are recalls for this model car my VIN is not included at this time.

- Anderson, SC, USA

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel made an abnormal noise. The contact also stated that the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver without warning. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the flex coupler needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Apr 012016

Sonata

Takata recall. I'm having the same issue as everyone else. The sound of something loose in the steering column and clunking noise has become horrible. Regardless of whether the car is in motion or at a stand still, I can move the steering wheel and hear the noise. I checked the year of production of my vehicle and it doesn't fall under the current recall; however, it seems a little irresponsible of Hyundai to not recall all vehicles that are experiencing the same issue. It is a safety hazard not just a nuisance. This has been happening for a few months now and has only become worse with time. I will be contacting Hyundai to see what can be done. In the instance they refuse to service the vehicle under the current warranty I will be contacting an attorney. Safety hazards cannot be ignored.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Sonata

Crusie control brake lights parking steering engine all records I have with the dealership show the major problems ive have and its yet to be fixed along with the many recalls on this vehicle

- Sacramento, CA, USA