CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 3 of 42)

Oct 032016

Sonata

I would like to bring to your attention, a dangerous situation with my 2011 Sonata. The situation became critical when the steering wheel started to have severe vibrations last week at highway speeds (70mph). The issue which I have asked Hyundai service (hub Hyundai in houston) over the 1 1/2 year, is that the steering wheel had started to develop play when turning. Aside from the loose steering, the rattle in the steering wheel, the rattle (like a nut in a coffee can) when going over rough pavement became noticeably louder. Hyundai states that my car for this issue is not covered in any recall. I just had the plastic coupling replaced by Firestone service (invoice attached). The service mechanic stated that the gear teeth were severely ground away, will ultimately result in destroyed coupling an disengagement of steering, a very dangerous situation. The attached pictures show the coupling, both new and with the gear tooth ground away. I urge NHTSA to mandate that Hyundai initiate an immediate recall of all vehicles with this component. Obviously, the material composition of the original is not engineered for this application. I have the original part if you desire to examine it. If you have any questions, please advise. Edward hang 21531 willow glade drive katy tx 77450 832 722 7838

- Katy, TX, USA

Sep 282016

Sonata

There is a clunking sound in steering column when turning the wheel while stationary and in motion. Also, there is a loud rattling sound in the steering column when going over any bumps at any speed, which has progressively worsened to the point where it sounds as if the steering column is going to disconnect. I was afraid to drive the car for fear of losing control of steering. The dealership said it was the coupler, which is an issue they have been repairing a lot. The part cost $3, but the process is labor intensive, so the total bill was over $300.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 122016

Sonata

Driving and making turns creates a rattle in the steering wheel and clunking sound stopped at brakes plus and found substance on the outside of thesterring coupler. Was told that should not be there.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Aug 132016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While turning the steering wheel left or right, it made an abnormal clicking noise. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jun 022016

Sonata

Steering wheel started to make a small "clunk" noise, which has now progressed to a large "clunk" noise and rattling of the wheel. This began some time ago, perhaps 4 months, and has just gotten worse. I took it in to a certified Hyundai dealership to get it looked at and review for recalls. Well, after having to pay them $100 without previously having agreed to, they tell me the part costs about $3, but with labor would total $310!!!! this should fall under a recall. I have seen so many people post online about the issue. I see where some people got it fixed for free, and others who had to pay! I emailed Hyundai too, prior to taking it in to the shop, and they told me that I had to go to the shop to have it looked at. No help at all. I continue to drive my car, which I paid full price for, with the constant clunking! mind you, I have children in the car and am terrified I will eventually loose control of the wheel and crash.

- Orange, CA, USA

Oct 012016

Sonata

While driving on the long island expressway in queens NY, an extremely busy highway, the control alarm on my front right tire completely snapped off. This caused me to lose control of my car and go across 3 lanes on a major highway with cars traveling 70 mph past me. Luckily no cars were hit and luckily myself or nobody was killed. Whats more disturbing instead of the dealership doing it's job to make sure my car is completely functional, they let me leave the lot with an issue they clearly knew about and just didn't say anything to me. After all they provided a complimentary wheel alignment so they clearly were examining my wheels at the time. And up to this point the car had been driving fine, smooth, no issues. I just had an oil change about a month back and nothing was noted to me by the mechanic then. I spoke with the dealership a few months back and they told me there had been a recall on the rear control alarms, which I know are about the same parts as the front control alarms. My car wheel just snapped off and I almost died on a highway as a result of this car. And I have been reading consumer complaints that similar issues have happened and there were possible recalls on the front control alarms to the wheels. This incident occurred on 10/1/16. It has been 10 days and Hyundai corporate has not contacted me. They are trying to avoid being responsible for a clear safety and road hazard with my vehicle. In addition my engine ceased on fathers day 2014 and they repaired the engine. Then in April 2016 I had metal fragments in my engine and they performed a complimentary wheel alignment. 3 months later my control arm is snapping of my front passenger tire.

- Woodside, NY, USA

Jun 152016

Sonata

With motor running, steering "clunks" when wheel turned in either direction. Most pronounced when stopped or at low speeds. Constant, not intermitant. My guess would be that the bearings in the steering knuckle are shot. Current mileage is 58,800.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Sonata

Took my car in for a for a recall now my steering coupling is broken

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Sep 012016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 35 mph, the steering column rattled and shook forcefully. The contact also stated that the function buttons on the steering wheel were inoperable. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle was experiencing the same failure as described in NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Santee, CA, USA

Jun 012016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while attempting to make a turn or driving over a bump, there was a clicking noise coming from the steering wheel. The steering wheel would also vibrate. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the a flexible coupler failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,607. The VIN was not available.

- Poplar Bluff, MO, USA

Oct 072016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 2 mph, the steering column made a loud clunking noise. At 40 mph, the contact stated that it was difficult to turn the steering wheel and that the vehicle jerked to the right of the road. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Sep 052016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 35 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the power steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering), but the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,500.

- North Brentwood, MD, USA

Sep 162016

Sonata

My car has the same problem described by a lot of other people on this forum. The steering wheel makes a clicking noise while turning and on braking. The car also wobbles at speed > 60 mph. The authorized dealer based in South plainfield NJ is not helpful and shows a list of problems (unrelated to the steering) that requires fixing and costing a lot of money. This may be a safety issues thus not sure where I should take my car for repairs. Independent car service guys like mavis, midas inform that the authorized dealer should fix it for free. Also, I have been told that the power warranty that is extended is only for engine problems.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Oct 062016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While pulling out of a parking space, a clicking sound emerged from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice where it was diagnosed that the steering coupler failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 107,000.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Sep 302016

Sonata

Takata recall - my fiancee was driving my car in a parking lot, then stopped and accidentally took her foot off of the brake when she put her jacket on the seat and it fell on the floor. Soon after, she hit a building at less than 5 mph since the car slowly accelerated with the foot off of the brake. The airbag deployed and the trip & reset buttons that were on the steering wheel were broken off and became shrapnel that went right past her face. Luckily she only sustained burns and bruising due to the airbag, but it could have been much worse if that shrapnel hit her in the face or chest. I would like to formally make a complaint stating that the airbag should not have gone off when the vehicle is under 5 mph and furthermore the steering wheel should not have shrapnel being created when the airbag deploys.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Sep 262016

Sonata

Clicking noise from the steering wheel while turning, driving, excessive vibrations while driving at speeds over 50 mph and sometimes while accelerating

- Irving, TX, USA

Dec 012015

Sonata

Car makes a loud clicking noise in the steering column when going over 60 mph and when slowing down. When parked, there is also clicking noises when turning the steering wheel. When in reverse, it makes a clicking noise when turning. Gas gauge doesn't work. It now will run out of gas when there are "60 miles" left until empty. The cruise control button will not work. You have to keep pressing it to come on. Also, the button to see trip miles, trip a, trip B etc, does not work on the 1st try. It takes many pushes to get the screen to change.

- Norman, OK, USA

Sep 192016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While turning the steering wheel to the left, a rattling noise was heard coming front the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the gear box shaft sector failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Cosseyville, KS, USA

Nov 012014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the steering wheel was very loose. The contact felt unsafe driving the vehicle. The failure occurred on several occasions and caused the contact to involuntarily maneuver into other lanes. The dealer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Sep 302016

Sonata

Recently took the vehicle in for a recall on the power steering system and at the same time said the presenting problem with steering was a clicking in the steering column when turned a few degrees left or right from center. They noted this was the steering coupler covered under a tsb 14-St-002-1. the service manager had drawer with a number of worn out rubber steering couplers that he noted was a very common problem and was potentially dangerous. He noted Hyundai had changed to an ABS part for replacement. Based on the flawed design, it appears there would be close to a 100% failure rate at some point on the part.

- Athens, GA, USA