CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 35 of 42)

Apr 112011

Sonata

New, 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T. Cars consistently pulls left at all speeds greater than 30 mph and in all lanes of travel.

- Saline, MI, USA

Feb 242011

Sonata

I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE. This vehicle pulls to the left. I checked the tire pressure in all tires after the vehicle sat for about 16 hours and tire pressure was the same in each tire and at the correct pressure. I took it to the dealer and was informed the vehicle is in spec and no issue found. However, it still pulls to the left. This pull is more noticeable at speeds above 60mph. When driving on the highway, in order to drive straight the driver must turn the wheel slightly to right. I have had numerous vehicles and this is not normal.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Apr 012010

Sonata

I have a 2011 Sonata SE which I've taken to the dealer 4 times for steering issues. The car pulls to left and I must apply pressure at all times to the steering wheel to keep the car from veering off the road. There is an issue with the steering system and the dealer is giving me the run around and telling there is nothing wrong with the car. Someone is going to get hurt due to this issue unless someone gets the problem rectified.

- Illinois, IL, USA

Dec 012010

Sonata

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T constantly pulls left while under very mild acceleration and cruising speeds. I took it into the dealer for the problem and they said it was torque-steer and that it happens on all fwd vehicles. I've had my fair share of fwd vehicles and I've experienced nothing like this. It pulls under the lightest acceleration.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 152011

Sonata

New 2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problem. The vehicle feels very unstable at highway speeds. Driver must constantly fight to keep the vehicle in lane. At a minimum it is distracting. Worst case this car could drift into another lane. There is something wrong this electronic steering. Dealer tells me its fine.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 152011

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problem - car constantly pulls left - dealer did realignment - not effective.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Apr 092011

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata left pull issue. I must apply a pressure to keep the car going straight on a flat/straight highway. This youtube clip is an excellent description of what I see. www.youtube.com/watch?V=eddyzwogozu also I found another site w/ a similar listing: www.Hyundai-forums.com/T56918-official-2011-Sonata-left-pull-poll.htm.

- Hinckley, IL, USA

Apr 012011

Sonata

Car pulls to the left since brand new. Very noticeable when driving at a high speed for a length of time. Constant right pressure must be maintained on steering wheel to prevent car from moving to the left. At a slow speed on back roads the pull is not that noticeable. For some reason, when taking a right turn off a highway ramp, the left pull increases, which requires increased right pressure on the steering wheel. Have had car checked at dealer, alignment was checked, and told everything is fine. Researching the Hyundai forums, it appears my Sonata is not the only car experiencing this problem, and as of this date, Hyundai/Kia have no fix, or even acknowledge their is a problem.

- Boonsboro, MD, USA

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased a new 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE turbo. It pulls badly to the left. It requires constant concentration or you will be in the oncoming lane. Dangerous!

- Billings, MT, USA

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the steering wheel would abnormally pull to the left when driving at highway speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed an alignment but did not repair the problem. They stated that the next step would be to replace the vehicle strut. The manufacturer was contacted who stated that they were aware of the problem and were currently working with the dealers to have the problem fixed. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 3,350 and current mileage was 3,400. The consumer stated the strut was replaced. However, the problem continued. Updated 05/31/11

- Trumbull, CT, USA

Apr 032011

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata pulls left sharply when when I let go of the wheel. After researching online, this appears to be a common and major problem. Alignment doesn't help and the dealership won't fix it.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Apr 022011

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased a 2011 Hyundai Sonata turbo on February 19, 2011 and immediately noticed that this vehicle pulls very hard to the left, especially at highway speeds. Constant pressure to the right on the steering wheel is necessary to keep this car on the road. I have taken it back to the dealership (glassman Hyundai, southfield, Michigan) for a front-end alignment on 2 occasions. This helps for approximately 2 days and the problem returns. I've since learned that this is not an uncommon problem with this vehicle but at the time of purchase no mention of this was made by the salesperson.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Mar 162011

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata pulls heavy to the left. This has not created an injury to date but it pulls so much to the left I have to be sure to apply pressure to the right to counter-act the pull into the lane to my left. I have had it back to the dealer and after doing everything they say they can do (alignment, etc.) it still pulls to the left. I have 16K miles on the care and it has done this since I first had it. Dealership (suntrup Hyundai, St. Louis mo) says they have done everything they can do.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

2011 Sonata 2.0T SE left pull while driving at highway speeds

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Nov 212010

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased a 2011 Hyundai Sonata turbo in December 2010 and from the time of purchase it pulled to the left especially on the highway. I waited to see if it would work itself out but it did not. I took it to a dealership and they rotated the tires and performed a full alignment. This did not solve the problem. Now after reading 100's of similar claims I am extremely disappointed that no action has been taken to hold the manufacturer accountable. I am encouraged that so many people have stepped forward, this will save me from repeated visits to the dealership when it is obvious that alignments, strut replacement and tire rotations are not going to blanket this obvious defect. I shouldn't have to fight to keep a brand new 2011 car on the road.

- Medina, OH, USA

Mar 252011

Sonata 4-cyl

Off the lot our new 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited turbo constantly pulled to the left. Worse at higher speeds. The dealer originally reported a "bulletin" on the front struts and replaced the left one. After that did not fix the problem an "all-wheel-alignment". no better. The dealer suggested driving for 1K miles to see if it resolved itself----that didn't work either. I contacted the dealer and Hyundai Consumer Affairs department for the second time on 3/17/2011 and re-opened the "case number". the service manager at the local dealership consulted with Hyundai's regional engineers and subsequently performed a recalibrating of the electronic steering module on 3/24/2011. The car now drives perfectly. No more pulling to the left. Hallelujah!! thanks to good folks at Hyundai, locally and regionally.

- Aztec, NM, USA

Mar 122011

Sonata

The vehicle is a 2011 Sonata turbo limited. The vehicle has a steady pull to the left during acceleration which affects the vehicles ability to maintain a straight line on the roadway. At higher speeds it is more noticeable and in my opinion a safety hazard due to the vehicles quick jerky motion and strong pull to the left if you should let go of the steering wheel. It is not an alignment issue as the vehicle drives straight when you are not accelerating. It's constant fatigue on the driver's arms maintaining proper steering as a result of the pull.

- Naples, FL, USA

Mar 162011

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata limited pulls left. Pull occurs at all speeds and road types, but is strongest at highway speeds in middle or left lanes. Right lane has a slight drift right, which feels normal due to crown of road. But with crown on right, there is hard pull to left. Vehicle will pull sharply to the left and change lanes in approximately 3 seconds or less. Vehicle needs a constant and forceful pressure on the steering wheel to right of center to maintain a straight track and not veer left. This pull was evident immediately. Vehicle was purchased new with approximately 200 miles on it, and pull was evident immediately. As of this time, repair has not been attempted.

- Leominster, MA, USA

Apr 122010

Sonata

The vehicle continuously pulls to the left from speeds of 40 mph to 80 mph. Dealership cannot figure how to fix issue. You need to constantly hold the steering wheel at 20 degrees off center in order for the vehicle to drive straight line. This is a constant issue and Hyundai is not doing anything about it. There is something wrong with the vehicles power steering!

- Texas, TX, USA

Mar 062011

Sonata

I purchased a brand new 2011 Hyundai Sonata turbo limited with 6 miles on it. As soon as I drove it off the lot, it pulled to the left at highway speeds. I've brought it back to the dealer 4 times for this issue. First they replaced a front strut so now I have mismatched struts, then aligned it so that the left front wheel was set at a camber of -0.8 degrees while the right front wheel was set at -0.2 degrees. After all these bandaids, the car still pulls to the left, although the dealership and Hyundai keep telling me the car is in spec and drives straight.

- Needham, MA, USA