CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 35 of 43)

May 252011

Sonata

2011 Sonata turbo limited pulls to left, demonstrated this to service manager at the dealer who says it is the way I am driving the car. Complaint filed with Hyundai, BBB, etc. This car is unsafe and should be recalled. Loaner car that they gave me did the same thing. Hyundai needs to be forced to acknowledge this problem with 2011 Sonata and repair the vehicles.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

May 272011

Sonata

Brand new 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T pulls noticeably to the left on level roads.

- Highland Park, NJ, USA

Oct 082010

Sonata 4-cyl

My Oct. 8 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T is a left puller. I know there is a problem with this model. My dealer will not admit to the problem and I am getting tired of dealing with it. Some day someone is going to die because of this pulling issue. Please help us solve this. Thank you

- Boardman, OR, USA

May 232011

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata turbo pulls to the left, sometimes pretty hard, almost causing an accident several times. Any release of tension on the steering wheel by the driver results in the car swerving to the left. It does not matter if the road is flat, it drifts; but if there is any type of crown, it will swerve left. I have not ever had it pull or drift to the right on any road condition. This became very noticeable early on. The car currently has 4,000 miles on it, and is being taken back to the dealership for repairs this week.

- Maroa, IL, USA

May 092011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated the vehicle would drift towards the driver's side while driving approximately 40 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the failure was due to the balancing of the tires. The vehicle was aligned but the failure continued. The vehicle was taken back to an authorized dealer where it was in the process of having the failure diagnosed. The failure and current mileages were 500.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

May 192011

Sonata 4-cyl

2011 Hyundai Sonata limited turbo 2.0L, bought April 2011, pulls left. On left-canted left lane car pulls hard to left, needs constant cw (right) force exerted on steering wheel to maintain straight. On right-canted right lane car drives straight with no driver interaction needed. On a flat road car has slight pull to left, needing constant slight cw (right) pressure to maintain going straight. Had dealer align front-end.. no change.

- Seymour, IN, USA

May 022011

Sonata

I bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2 weeks ago and found a left pull plus a slight drift to either side when going straight on a highway between 55-80. It turns well in the corners either left or right but again when going straight it has a tendency to wonder to either side and at times a slight pull to the left. At this point it is just a bit annoying but I am afraid of it getting worse as time goes on. I am placing a call in the am with my dealer and possibly to Hyundai assistance to file a complaint. I found this issue when I eased off the steering wheel on a straight stretch of highway for about 3 seconds it will go straight then it will go in either direction on a straightaway. I find that when I have the steering wheel straight it will travel straight for a few seconds and then start veering off to either side. My initial thoughts after reading some posts on the Hyundai forums is that it is a disconnect with the electronic steering control computer or the software for it has a flaw in it. My car was built in March of this year and I know from reading posts from back in early 2010 this has been an issue. I don't think it is a front end alignment problem because when you stop the car it goes straight. I'm not sure if tires could be the issue either as many posted that they had all the tires checked and replaced, struts changed, wheel bearings changed, steering angle sensor recalibrated and still the problem persists. I can live with the issue for now but if it gets worse could become a big safety issue. My wife drives this car with my daughter who has a disability. My concern is for them getting into an accident because of this. Or worse causing an accident which claims lives. Again I will go back to the dealer to have this looked at but I am not confident that they will be able to fix this issue. I have read that Hyundai engineers have not be able to figure out what is wrong. It's a shame I like the car. Please get Hyundai to fix this before someone gets hurt.

- West Chester, PA, USA

May 172011

Sonata

Picked up my 2011 Hyundai Sonata last night with 8 miles on it. Pulled out of the dealership and the vehicle immediately pulled hard to the left. Dealer says this is the electronic steering, but it's dangerous! there has to be a further problem. I got this vehicle for safety with a child on the way. I do not feel safe driving this car. If I even lift my hands off the wheel for 2 seconds, the car would veer into the median. Out of probably 1000 complaints I read online, the dealership was unable to correct the problem and Hyundai has not admitted to any issues.

- East Aurora , NY, USA

May 092011

Sonata

Purchased new Hyundai Sonata limited 2.0T. From the time of delivery, steering pulls left, especially in the center and left lanes on 3-lane roads (ie. Interstate highways).

- Cortland, OH, USA

Nov 042010

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata turbo steering issue - hard left pull. Dealer tried alignment, replaced the strap and then did alignment again. The issue is still present. Sonata pulls hard left, especially noticeable at highway speeds. Car feels unsafe.

- Fair Lawn, NJ, USA

Mar 142011

Sonata

Since my 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE turbos has been new it pulls to the left. So bad that if I take my hands off the steering wheel for 1.5 seconds at 55mph my car drifts completely to the left lane. This is dangerous. The dealer has looked at an worked on it 4 times, replace tires, rebalanced tires, replaced struts, realigned car, even did a road force wheel balance, nothing helps and the factory sent an engineer who claims that there is no problem. The problem with his statement is that is that I have several video tapes and witnesses of it doing it and I took the service manger for a ride so he can experience it. I currently just started a lemon law case on it. Want this fixed or a Sonata that doesn't do this. This is a problem with certain cars built in a certain time frame. They won't admit that but I found that out from reliable inside info. Have owned about 10 new cars in my life and none of them ever did this.

- Poppton Lakes, NJ, USA

Apr 152011

Sonata

Vehicle pulls to the left...felt it at right away but was unsure if it was the vehicle or the roads making it pull...I had the vehicle 2 weeks when I was positive it was the vehicle. Took it to the dealer and was told alignment was in "specs". vehicle continues to pull. Waiting on Hyundai tech support to look at vehicle again. Road conditions make no difference when it comes to this pull to the left.

- Schertz, TX, USA

Apr 172011

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T pulls to the left even when driver steers to the right. On a flat surface, this vehicle will pull to the left and if not corrected will cross into another lane within a second or two. My vehicle is 2 weeks old and has had the issue from the beginning. Dealership service department re-aligned the vehicle and it did not correct the problem. I have yet to bring the vehicle back for re-inspection. This issue is constant from the moment I apply power to the vehicle until the vehicle comes to a rest. I tested this by crossing into the right lane on the highway and briefly letting go of the steering wheel; the vehicle immediately pulled into the left lane on its own.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Apr 252011

Sonata

Before and after a dealer completed alignment, the steering wheel returns past center after making a right turn. It also pulls left when new and after any correction.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 252011

Sonata

New Hyundai Sonata steering issue where car pulls strongly and continuous to the left. So far two service visits to pugi Hyundai in downers grove, il have not resolved the issue. Hyundai has replaced a strut and aligned.

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Mar 212011

Sonata

Car pulls left. Worsens with speed. Has been to the dealer twice. First attempt was an alignment. Second attempt was a replaced strut. Still not fixed and the issue is a major safety hazard. Lemon law paperwork has been filed.

- Monmouth Beach, NJ, USA

Apr 052011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle began to shake and veer towards the left. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the vehicle was realigned yet the failure persisted. The contact also stated that once the vehicle came to a complete stop, the steering wheel would independently turn all the way to the left as if she had removed her hands from the wheel. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was told that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 10V426000 (steering:gear box:shaft sector). The vehicle was not repaired and the failure persisted. The failure and current mileage was 1,077. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 05/13/11 updated 2/8/12

- Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Apr 242011

Sonata

2011 Sonata pulls hard left.

- Copley, OH, USA

Jun 012010

Sonata

Car pulled left first time I drove it on the highway. Had dealer work it four times since buying the car in may, 2010. Twice the performance appeared to improve, but then it would get worse after I had it in for an oil change & tire rotation. Dealer suggested it 1) had to do with me driving in the left lane and 2) these sporty suspensions are just more sensitive - they don't handle like a "comfort car". I've driven sport suspensions before & never experienced anything like this.

- Hampton, NH, USA

Apr 142011

Sonata

Hyundai Sonata ltd turbo pulls to the left.

- Wilmette, IL, USA