CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 4 of 43)

Oct 102016

Sonata

The steering column seems loose and every time I run over a bump whether small or big there is a rattle that seems to come from the steering column section. And it seems to be getting worse. It is actually described in a recall from 10/2010. Something is loose in there. I have seen that it's more recent to in the complaints. Can the closed recall be reopened?

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sonata

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata recently began having play in the steering column. It has 91,853 miles on it now but started about 1,500 miles ago. When you turn the steering wheel there is movement before the actual wheel assembly is engaged. I am concerned that it may get worse or even fail. Although there are recalls for this model car my VIN is not included at this time.

- Anderson, SC, USA

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel made an abnormal noise. The contact also stated that the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver without warning. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the flex coupler needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Apr 012016

Sonata

Takata recall. I'm having the same issue as everyone else. The sound of something loose in the steering column and clunking noise has become horrible. Regardless of whether the car is in motion or at a stand still, I can move the steering wheel and hear the noise. I checked the year of production of my vehicle and it doesn't fall under the current recall; however, it seems a little irresponsible of Hyundai to not recall all vehicles that are experiencing the same issue. It is a safety hazard not just a nuisance. This has been happening for a few months now and has only become worse with time. I will be contacting Hyundai to see what can be done. In the instance they refuse to service the vehicle under the current warranty I will be contacting an attorney. Safety hazards cannot be ignored.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Sonata

Crusie control brake lights parking steering engine all records I have with the dealership show the major problems ive have and its yet to be fixed along with the many recalls on this vehicle

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 182016

Sonata

Car makes popping or clicking sound particularly when backing out of a parking space and turning the wheel. Took the vehicle to Hyundai dealership where they said it was a steering coupler that needed to be replaced. Quoted $293.16. Was told this could become a safety issue since it can affect steering and ABS function. Searched the problem on the internet and it looks like a fairly common issue. My car has just under 74,000 miles. Why is this not a recall since it clearly isn't normal wear and tear.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 012016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the steering wheel made an abnormal noise and vibrated randomly while driving or making a turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the coupling was loosely connected and caused the failure. The mechanic was to provide further diagnostic testing. The dealer was notified of the failure and indicated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V190000 (steering), 10V457000 (steering), and 10V426000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Oct 182016

Sonata

When turning stearin wheel here clanking noice. Took to Hyundai and told it so steering wheel coupler. Said very commen problem. Should be a recall. It it cost 585 to repair. If the dealership knows it's a big issue maybe it should be a recall and not cost me !!

- Glendale, NY, USA

Oct 172016

Sonata

Steering wheel makes loud clicking sounds when turned or when the vehicle goes over a bump or down a hill. I took the vehicle to a Hyundai dealership for service today and was told that this is a common problem with the mechanics of the steering column.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that after making a stop from refueling the vehicle, the steering wheel seized. The steering wheel eventually functioned as normal. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was remedied but the service performed was unknown. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V190000 (steering), 10V457000 (steering) and 10V426000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Georgetown, SC, USA

Oct 032016

Sonata

I would like to bring to your attention, a dangerous situation with my 2011 Sonata. The situation became critical when the steering wheel started to have severe vibrations last week at highway speeds (70mph). The issue which I have asked Hyundai service (hub Hyundai in houston) over the 1 1/2 year, is that the steering wheel had started to develop play when turning. Aside from the loose steering, the rattle in the steering wheel, the rattle (like a nut in a coffee can) when going over rough pavement became noticeably louder. Hyundai states that my car for this issue is not covered in any recall. I just had the plastic coupling replaced by Firestone service (invoice attached). The service mechanic stated that the gear teeth were severely ground away, will ultimately result in destroyed coupling an disengagement of steering, a very dangerous situation. The attached pictures show the coupling, both new and with the gear tooth ground away. I urge NHTSA to mandate that Hyundai initiate an immediate recall of all vehicles with this component. Obviously, the material composition of the original is not engineered for this application. I have the original part if you desire to examine it. If you have any questions, please advise. Edward hang 21531 willow glade drive katy tx 77450 832 722 7838

- Katy, TX, USA

Sep 282016

Sonata

There is a clunking sound in steering column when turning the wheel while stationary and in motion. Also, there is a loud rattling sound in the steering column when going over any bumps at any speed, which has progressively worsened to the point where it sounds as if the steering column is going to disconnect. I was afraid to drive the car for fear of losing control of steering. The dealership said it was the coupler, which is an issue they have been repairing a lot. The part cost $3, but the process is labor intensive, so the total bill was over $300.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 122016

Sonata

Driving and making turns creates a rattle in the steering wheel and clunking sound stopped at brakes plus and found substance on the outside of thesterring coupler. Was told that should not be there.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Aug 132016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While turning the steering wheel left or right, it made an abnormal clicking noise. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jun 022016

Sonata

Steering wheel started to make a small "clunk" noise, which has now progressed to a large "clunk" noise and rattling of the wheel. This began some time ago, perhaps 4 months, and has just gotten worse. I took it in to a certified Hyundai dealership to get it looked at and review for recalls. Well, after having to pay them $100 without previously having agreed to, they tell me the part costs about $3, but with labor would total $310!!!! this should fall under a recall. I have seen so many people post online about the issue. I see where some people got it fixed for free, and others who had to pay! I emailed Hyundai too, prior to taking it in to the shop, and they told me that I had to go to the shop to have it looked at. No help at all. I continue to drive my car, which I paid full price for, with the constant clunking! mind you, I have children in the car and am terrified I will eventually loose control of the wheel and crash.

- Orange, CA, USA

Sonata

While driving on the long island expressway in queens NY, an extremely busy highway, the control alarm on my front right tire completely snapped off. This caused me to lose control of my car and go across 3 lanes on a major highway with cars traveling 70 mph past me. Luckily no cars were hit and luckily myself or nobody was killed. Whats more disturbing instead of the dealership doing it's job to make sure my car is completely functional, they let me leave the lot with an issue they clearly knew about and just didn't say anything to me. After all they provided a complimentary wheel alignment so they clearly were examining my wheels at the time. And up to this point the car had been driving fine, smooth, no issues. I just had an oil change about a month back and nothing was noted to me by the mechanic then. I spoke with the dealership a few months back and they told me there had been a recall on the rear control alarms, which I know are about the same parts as the front control alarms. My car wheel just snapped off and I almost died on a highway as a result of this car. And I have been reading consumer complaints that similar issues have happened and there were possible recalls on the front control alarms to the wheels. This incident occurred on 10/1/16. It has been 10 days and Hyundai corporate has not contacted me. They are trying to avoid being responsible for a clear safety and road hazard with my vehicle. In addition my engine ceased on fathers day 2014 and they repaired the engine. Then in April 2016 I had metal fragments in my engine and they performed a complimentary wheel alignment. 3 months later my control arm is snapping of my front passenger tire.

- Woodside, NY, USA

Jun 152016

Sonata

With motor running, steering "clunks" when wheel turned in either direction. Most pronounced when stopped or at low speeds. Constant, not intermitant. My guess would be that the bearings in the steering knuckle are shot. Current mileage is 58,800.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Sonata

Took my car in for a for a recall now my steering coupling is broken

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Sep 012016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 35 mph, the steering column rattled and shook forcefully. The contact also stated that the function buttons on the steering wheel were inoperable. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle was experiencing the same failure as described in NHTSA campaign number: 10V426000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Santee, CA, USA

Jun 012016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while attempting to make a turn or driving over a bump, there was a clicking noise coming from the steering wheel. The steering wheel would also vibrate. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the a flexible coupler failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,607. The VIN was not available.

- Poplar Bluff, MO, USA