Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Oct 142011

Sonata 4-cyl

While driving 65 mph on a state highway during rush hour with the cruise control on, the steering wheel/car suddenly starting shaking extremely violently and it was all I could do to maintain control long enough to pull over and stop/inspect the vehicle. It was remarkable an accident did not occur and if my child, a new driver, had been behind the wheel, I am certain an accident would have occurred. The electric power steering (eps) and electronic stability control (ESC) warning lights came on and power steering no longer worked. The sensation I experienced was very much like that described in NHTSA campaign id no. 10V426000. I took the car to the dealership and they ultimately concluded that the problem was a brake switch which caused power steering to stop working. The dealership replaced the brake switch, concluding that my 2011 Hyundai Sonata, manufactured on 3/11/11, was not subject to the recall involving steering column intermediate shaft universal joint connections. I am currently driving the car, although I do so reluctantly, particularly with family members in the vehicle. While I do not know if these situations are related, on 9/11/11 my car had to be towed to the dealership because the starter would not recognize the brake was depressed. At that time a brake light switch was replaced. I have been in contact with Hyundai Consumer Affairs and the dealership's service manager, but remain concerned about my vehicle and this situation happening to other drivers who may not be as lucky as I was. I remain hopeful Hyundai will be aggressive and proactive in this process, but it scared and concerned me enough I felt it was necessary to pursue this situation with a regulatory body.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Aug 132010

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated when he made a left turn, he felt the vehicle scraped curb. He backed up and proceeded to drive home. The next day, he noticed the steering wheel pointed rightward, when the when the vehicle was going straight. The consumer was informed the rack needed to be replaced. The contact stated after the repair, he noticed the steering wheel did not return to the center poistion. The conatct went to another dealer and was informed a recall for the steering had been issued. The contact the steering problem still has not been corrected. Updated 01/31/11/ updated 04/21/11

- Laguna Beach, CA, USA

Aug 172010

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that when the driver was driving and attempting to turn, the vehicle would not turn although the steering wheel was turned. The vehicle collided with another vehicle and was totaled. The driver of the other vehicle went to the hospital but was released. A police report was filed. The manufacturer left the contact a message informing him that the vehicle was included in recall 10V426000 (steering:gear box:shaft sector) but the contact had not yet spoken with them. The current and failure mileages were approximately 1,400.

- South Mills, NC, USA

Sep 012010

Sonata 4-cyl

As I was driving home from work on the highway the steering wheel locked up and started shaking for about five minutes as if it were possessed. I was not able to pull over because of the strength of the wheel shaking. After that incident, it seemed to be fixed on its own. But, later that day visiting family members as I got into the car to go home I started the car up and immediately the eps light started flashing and the steering wheel started going crazy again, so I took the keys out the ignition for it to stop but that didn't work. At that point I decided to call the tow truck to have the dealer inspect the car. That was a week ago. I guess they are still waiting on a part to come, but after all this I won't feel safe driving this car when I get it back with my daughter in it. Updated IVOQ 11/05/10

- Norwich, CT, USA