CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

3.2

2011 Hyundai Sonata suspension problems

suspension problem

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

May 102011

Sonata 4-cyl

Purchased car on May 10, 2011 at local dealership. Didn't have new car window sticker in car or at dealership. I was told I wasn't looking hard enough for it. Dealership got me one in July. I have pictures of test drive with no window sticker. Found hail damage on car after the paperwork while still at dealership--finally fixed in July. Found out while doing paperwork the car had 1500 miles on it--didn't know that until then--should have stopped then---in my book not new!!!! car pulled to left real hard on way home from dealership--realigned front end--still pulling left. Dealership service dept. Admits to recall and doesn't have equipment/tools to repair. The car had deep scratches on front passenger side bumper at delivery--finally fixed somewhat--you can still feel and see the scratches if looking for them. Drivers seat fraying apart at material at 2900 miles. Trim damaged by hail repair person--still waiting on that repair. Just left dealer complaining to manager about everything and found paint flaking off of rear drivers wheel. Strong smell of burnt charcoal coming from trunk area---manager in service dept. Said that's a normal smell. I have purchased 5 new from same dealership and none of the others have had that smell. I purchased a 2011 tucsan the same day--no problems. Owner of dealership said that they are allowed to sell new cars without "new car window stickers", I looked it up--it's illegal. Also told there was communication problems about the sale of my car---not telling me everything--like the scratches, hail damage, replacement of parts. The manager today said he did not know anything about the Sonata's pulling to the left---I told him to google it. I have never had so many problems on a new car or even a used one. Current mileage is 3100 miles. Just did a carfax and found no repairs from dealer? I guess they are beyond the law of reporting it.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Aug 042011

Sonata

2011 Hyundai Sonata pulls left. Car has been back to dealer a few times. They have replaced both struts, did alignments, straighttrac, as well as put 4 brand new tires on the car. I still have an issue with the car pull left. This happens all day every day since I purchased the car in January 2011 I dont feel safe driving this car.

- Franklin Lakes, NJ, USA

Jul 062011

Sonata 4-cyl

2012 Hyundai Sonata gls, 200 miles on odometer. Vehicle pulls to the right. Must maintain constant pressure on steering wheel to maintain stright travel. Vehicle moves completly into next lane within 4 seconds of releasing wheel. The car has been back at the dealership for three days and no apparent fix so far.

- Henderson , NV, USA

Jun 152011

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact was driving 25 mph when the vehicle began pulling to the left abnormally. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who attempted to repair the failure but to no avail. The dealer advised that the struts were the cause of the failure however, a compatible strut was not available. The manufacturer was contacted and a claim was filed. The failure mileage was 1,500.

- Oldsmar, FL, USA

Nov 222010

Sonata

I have a turbo limited Sonata. It has a severe left pull. If I am driving on a flat surface and let go of the steering wheel, I would be off the road to the left in about 5-6 seconds. If I am accelerating, I would be off the road within 1-2 seconds. It is a real problem. My dealership does not have the specs to fix the issue. I called the next closest dealer and they also do not have a fix. I am constantly assured that Hyundai is working on the issue, but lets face it, it has been over six months. I have lost faith that they are working on a fix. The newly sold 2011 Sonata limited turbos are being sold with the 17" wheels, not the 18" wheels I have. Therefore, it looks as though they are trying to change it to fix the problem. But what about those of us with the 18" wheels" do we have to wait until someone dies before this gets fixed" that is not acceptable to me. There are already over 165 complaints and I hope more are added daily. I am a repeat Hyundai Sonata buyer and very discouraged with the quality of safety in this car. Please investigate the problem and force a recall!

- Independence, MO, USA

May 302011

Sonata

Vehicle pulls sharply to the left while driving down the road about 25 mph. The steering wheel jerked from my wife's hands.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Nov 172010

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated they heard a clicking sound in the front right passenger side of the vehicle. The contact said it became louder when they drove over a bump or made a right turn. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and after inspecting it, the dealer stated they could not find a problem with the vehicle. The failure mileage was 5 and the current mileage was 6,000.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Apr 012011

Sonata

Car pulls to the left since brand new. Very noticeable when driving at a high speed for a length of time. Constant right pressure must be maintained on steering wheel to prevent car from moving to the left. At a slow speed on back roads the pull is not that noticeable. For some reason, when taking a right turn off a highway ramp, the left pull increases, which requires increased right pressure on the steering wheel. Have had car checked at dealer, alignment was checked, and told everything is fine. Researching the Hyundai forums, it appears my Sonata is not the only car experiencing this problem, and as of this date, Hyundai/Kia have no fix, or even acknowledge their is a problem.

- Boonsboro, MD, USA

Mar 282011

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the steering wheel would abnormally pull to the left when driving at highway speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed an alignment but did not repair the problem. They stated that the next step would be to replace the vehicle strut. The manufacturer was contacted who stated that they were aware of the problem and were currently working with the dealers to have the problem fixed. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 3,350 and current mileage was 3,400. The consumer stated the strut was replaced. However, the problem continued. Updated 05/31/11

- Trumbull, CT, USA

Mar 172011

Sonata

2011 Hyundai - dragging to both sides, mainly to the right, steering is rocking from side to side, car feels like its going be blown of the road, steering is twisted even when wheel is perfectly straight, extremely difficult to keep in to the left.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Feb 112011

Sonata

I leased 2011 Hyundai Sonata Feb 11 and since the first day the car pulls to the left. They did alignment and changed the strut assembly but after 3 times at the service the car still pulls to the left. Last week the dealer told me they are going to call in couple days. Today I called them they said they still didn't get the call from Hyundai. In mean time I'm still driving dangerous car. Please don't wait for someone to be killed before they start the recall. Thank you.

- New York, NY, USA