4.0

2012 Hyundai Sonata brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata:

2012 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Aug 062016

Sonata

Last week, my power steering suddenly stopped working while driving on a city street making it very difficult to maneuver. The eps dashboard trouble light as well as the airbag and ESC lamps all illuminated at the same time. Thankfully, there was light traffic at the time so was able to pull off to the side to regain my composure. Using extreme caution, I drove the next few miles back home carefully avoiding any sudden situations where I was forced to make sharp turns. I had an extremely hard time steering. Yesterday, I took the veh into the local dealership. After a couple of hours, they said the steering column had to be replaced and that somehow it was also causing all the other unrelated trouble lamps to light at the same time!. approx. $1200 repair cost. The veh is 2012 with 82,000 miles. I asked if it was covered by the 100K mile warranty. They said no. After only 4 years of owning this car, I can't believe the steering column broke. I never heard of that before. I went on-line and noticed that 2011 Sonata's had a similar problem the year prior and as a result, there was a national recall to rectify the problem by replacing faulty equipment. I can't help but think that perhaps the same faulty equipment was perhaps installed in some of the 2012's also.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Jul 182016

Sonata

I writing because I am having issue with my vehicle. It will not crank. The battery is not dead because the lights, radio comes on, it will not crank at all I have a push botton one. I took it for a oil change on July 15 2016 and had to pay a extra $75 for air filter change. Now before I got the oil change my car was fine. So on Monday 18, 2016 leaving the restaurant my car will not start.I press the botton and nothing happen I smell and saw smoke. Left up the hood nothing out of the ordinary. I read on media network, so many people having problem with their 2012 2.0 T Sonata Hyundai, car not starting and mines is one of them. I just got the car March of last year and now the car is acting up. I don't have $1200 to pay what medlin Hyundai in rocky mount can't find. The service guy says it mybe the computer of the car, when someone tried to jump start it throught it off. But I told him that before I even got a jump start. The car made a noise and white smoke came from the hood of the car. They still blaming me but I think its their fault. The services guy said that the person that change the oil and air filter the car act like it didn't want to start. So why didn't they tell me that? I feel that they mess it up or there is a issue with all the 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 T that a recall need to be so the dealership car fix the all problems free. I need this to go to CEO of Hyundai. There is something truely wrong with 2012 Hyundai 2.0 T Sonata. And you know the dealership service don't even know what the problem is. He said it was no fuse blown, only thing they can assume that it's the computer is dysfunctional cause of the jump. But the car was smoking and didn't start before the jump. These Sonata is killing our pockets, even the use ones too expensive. I don't gave $1,000 and $1,000 to pay out, that they don't know what problem is. Got car from gabe rowe.

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Jun 032016

Sonata

As I was driving home after work on Friday around 2130, I was driving on the expressway about 65-70mph when I noticed that the car was declining in speed without me letting up on the gas pedal. I was in a fair amount of traffic with a semi behind me, I pressed down further on the gas pedal to try and increase speed while looking for a way to safely get off of the expressway. The car initially did not speed back up, after approximately 10-15 seconds, it sped back up. The car did this three times during my, normally 25 minute, drive home. This was extremely scary, especially being in heavy Chicago traffic. I called the dealership first thing Saturday morning and made an appointment to get it checked. The first available appointment was today, Tuesday, and I had the vehicle there at 0700. The vehicle was scanned and pulled several codes: C1283, C1213, C1513, B1102, B112, C1334, C1335, C1126, C1662, C1312, C1314, and C1315. They then performed individual code diagnostics and traced code failures to yaw-rate sensor, brake pedal position sensor and evap purge solenoid. Estimated $1276.97 + tax.

- Homewood, IL, USA

Mar 102015

Sonata

Hyundai break switch, Hyundai break lights, sunroof, air conditioning break switch gone out four times. Took to savannah Hyundai to be fixed. No fix as car continually does not accelerate in the middle of nowhere - on the highway or when getting ready to pull out in front of traffic - very unsafe. I have contacted Hyundai Corp concerning this issue since 2015. Savannah Hyundai service manager mike told us that we were not allowed to return for repairs because they got frustrated trying to figure out. Break light never works. Had this repaired 3 times. Savannah Hyundai put new sunroof on. Four months later it wont open or close. We have paid for everything over and over and over using our extended warranty and copays. Even if Hyundai or savannah Hyundai previously fixed something and it was even within 90 to 120 days that the repair was bad, they never offered to fix without charge. Always made us repay full deductible and costs.. car does not turn on air conditioning system intermittently. Trips get awfully hot. Sometimes starting up car and restarting fixes. Savannah Hyundai never able to fix. Savannah Hyundai has reported on two occasions that our car has serious electrical issues. They believe this is related to sunroof and brake light. This car has been having issues before 60,000 miles and stil lhas under 90,000 and same issues repeatedly. This car is not safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! car is unsafe. Currently emailed david zukowski of Hyundai, other Hyundai outlets, message hyunda on fb. Unresolved.

- Fort Stewart, GA, USA

Sep 152014

Sonata

****buyer beware*****purchased this car in Feb 2014 with only 230miles on it and in Sept 2014 I pulled out of my home turned right and had no issues...although about 50 feet later I stopped at a red light on a fairly busy street with mid to high traffic, I stopped and once in motion, immediate my ets light came on the dash and my steering completely froze up and steering wheel lock up. I was in motion going about 40 mph, not yet up to the 45 speed limit. There were cars all around me and I had to physically force my car to right with my emergency lights on. I was lucky this didn't happen on my way to get my child from school, or after. Otherwise it would have been a completely different situation. The Hyundai corporation, has refused to buy back their default death trap of a vehicle and had the nerve to offer a "month car payment". my life could have been taken from me and they only offer a payment. Not acceptable. Buy back your known defective vehicle. I have had four recalls on this car in less than 3 years of purchase.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Jun 152015

Sonata

Motor has rattle in when driving and cranking it

- Colquitt, GA, USA

Jun 032014

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. While operating the vehicle, the front passenger side seat belt sensor light would intermittently flash off and on although the passenger seat was unoccupied. Eventually, the front passenger side air bag sensor light would also flash off and on when a passenger was not present. The check engine light also illuminated. While driving approximately 60 mph, the stability control ESC sensor light illuminated and the vehicle would not accelerate. After shutting the vehicle off and restarting the engine, the vehicle operated as normal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. No additional information was available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 18,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 302011

Sonata 4-cyl

Car lost anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control functions. This was caused by the drivers front wheel sensor wire rubbing against a sharp sheet metal edge. See photos.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Aug 132011

Sonata 4-cyl

Have been in dealership 3 times for repair all 3 times car has been out of alignment. The car has a sharp pull to the right that can cause a very serious accident if you do not pay attention. I was by Hyundai dealership that they will not work on it and that they say it is in company specs. They told me not to take my hands off the wheel when I am driving.

- Ocoee, FL, USA