2012 Hyundai Sonata electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata:

2012 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sonata

Tail light assembly on drivers side broke off from the car, it was parked in the driveway when we noticed it. There was no accident, no damage or evidence of someone hitting it. Looks like the plastic part of the light holding it to the bolts just broke off. Dealer said they have no knowledge at all, of this happening.

Jan 292014

Sonata

Unintended acceleration, had to slam on brakes and put car into neutral in order to prevent shooting into a intersection of oncoming traffic. The car immediately threw a number of codes, and a engine control system condition code, check engine code.... dealer tells me when unloaded off the tow-truck that the brake pedal went to the floor, after 6 days of having the car the dealership service manager is telling me no problem could be found due to not being able to reproduce the problem.

- Paris, KY, USA

Jan 072014

Sonata

I was getting ready for work and the temperature outside was -2 degrees so I went to warm up the car for 20 mins and then started to head out to work. As I was leaving not even 5 mins later I started to smell something burning. So I pulled over and started to see smoke, then I started to look around to find out where it was coming from and I see smoke coming from the bottom of the back seat right behind the driver seat. So I started taking my personal belongings out of the vehicle. After removing my personal belongings, I went to the car and now there was more smoke coming from the bottom of the rear seat closest to the rear door driver side. So then I pulled up the seat and I see flames, and there were flames, I call 911 and they came like in 5 mins.I'm just blessed that I didn't have my kids with me.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Jan 062012

Sonata 4-cyl

I have had issues galore with my car since the day I drove it off the lot. First issue and still is just gave up on bringing it back was the steering that drifted. Then I had a sound coming from the rear of the car that made a loud noise. I also have a sound coming from the sun roof. After that I had a oil leak in it's first year. My radio went out, my driver window stop working. My turbo quit on me. Battery died. I was stranded by the car 3 times. It would turn over fast but not crank. I called road side on one of those. My air bag lights come on while driving down the road. It rattles like cheap parts. I have called Hyundai with no response as of yet. The dealership says they can't do anything. I pay a car not for a car I don't trust to drive.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Nov 242013

Sonata 4-cyl

Walked out of store I had been shopping in for over an hour and car was in flames. The fire investigator explained it as an electrical short that started at the main engine wire harness and melted the tubing/wiring all through the engine compartment down near passenger headlight and the melting wires/tubing/rubber dripped and ignited on a pile of leaves underneath the car in the parking space. The resulting fire and electrical burn melted all rubber plastic, external belts, wire harness, front bumper, intake manifold and any plastic rubber, fluid lids, exterior parts surrounding or attached to the engine.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Oct 072013

Sonata

On or about October 1, 2103, the emergency brake light on the dash came on as I started the car and backed out of the garage. I checked and rechecked the emergency brake to make sure it was off and the pedal was not depressed. Every other time or so, when we used the car, the emergency brake light would come on and we always double checked to ensure the brake pedal was off. On October 7, 2103, we went to the jenkins Hyundai dealership and after they checked the vehicle, they could find nothing wrong with the brakes or the computer. As we left the place, the brake light came on for the 20 mile trip home. The Hyundai warranty states that we should not drive the vehicle because the brakes could lock up and cause an accident. It is either a brake problem or a computer and I would prefer to have it fixed before it causes an accident.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Jun 102013

Sonata

After low tire pressure light going on/off for 2 days(tire pressure was fine) all dash lights came on and vehicle would not get out of park. Had to have vehicle towed to dealership. After about a week went to pickup "fixed" auto and when started car all the lights on dash lit again. Another week goes by and they "found" a faulty SRS control module (airbag control module) which they removed and replaced. No issues until Oct 7th while driving about 25mph all lights lit again on dash and speedometer and RPM's immediately went to zero even though I was still moving. Had to be towed again to dealership. They "found" a ground wire corroded at left front strut tower. Cleaned the connection and reinstalled...did not replace. Went to pickup car after numerous test drives by dealership on Oct 18th and again upon starting all dash lights lit and could not get out of park. Vehicle still at dealership. They have no idea what is wrong with it.

- Springfield, PA, USA

Apr 122013

Sonata 4-cyl

Westbound on I-78 near harrisburg, pa while traveling on cruise control vehicle motor increased without driver input from 65mph to over 72mph to the point of 80mph before several hard foot pressures on brake disengaged cruise control. Car did not respond to normal brake pedal tap to disengage. Called dealer who suggested we not use cruise control and on return had them service--dealer could not replicate and returned car. On 8-05-13 which was next highway trip on 440W in staten island, NY while on cruise control at 60mph (flow of traffic) car suddenly made high revving motor noise, lurched forward and increased speed to 0ver 70mph--brake again did mot disengage car but heavy (very heavy) pressing on disengage button slowed car. Car to be looked at after our return--scheduled check 8-13-13.

- Medford, NY, USA

Aug 072013

Sonata

Had my Sonata for less than a year and a half. I thought I smelled gas in the car, but figured I must have spilled gas on my sport coat the last time I wore it. Starting the car, I had to hold the start engine button down for an extra second which was weird, but I figured maybe I was looking into things. I had my windows down since I thought I smelled gas. After driving for a bit my car died suddenly, as I was pulling over to the side of the road, I started to smell smoke. I got out of the car to get my son from his car seat and then I saw that the front of the car was on fire.

- New Cumberland, PA, USA

Aug 042013

Sonata 4-cyl

While driving on interstate 77 North bound in North Carolina I noticed the passenger safety seat belt light was flickering but there was no one or nothing on the seat to warrant the light turning on. So I reached over and snapped the seat belt in and the light turned off. About 10 miles afterwards the eps light starts flicking as well as the brake indicator on the dash, next thing you know the engine shuts down and power steering goes stiff. I manage to pull to the shoulder avoiding getting struck by a car or truck and I am not able to turn on the car back on. I am able to turn on all other items ( radio, turn signals, interior lisghts) I am not able to use the blue link service so I had to call aaa and have the car towed to the nearest dealership 18 miles away. I will have to wait until the dealership looks into the issue, its Sunday and the service department is closed.

- Montgomery, NY, USA

Jul 082013

Sonata

The lights on the car would not shut off when locking and activating alarm. I restarted the car and shut it off again, then they shut off. I awake the next morning and the car would not start, the battery appeared to be dead. After a jump I left for work and the car would not accelerate when I applied pressure to the gas. The car then accelerated rapidly. The lights on the dash would get considerably brighter and then back to normal like a flash when activated the turn signal occasionally. The lights on the dash will also blink out from time to time. Took back to the dealer and they said they took it to a Hyundai shop. I got it back yesterday but it still appears to be doing the same problems. I haven't even made my first payment on it yet.

- Ardmore, OK, USA

Jun 152013

Sonata 6-cyl

Cruise control would not disengage by hitting cancel or turning it off. It would only disengage by depressing brake pedal. I have been having problems engaging cruise control for about a week. The brake interlock switch was already replaced once, if it had failed again the only option would have been to put the car in neutral and shut it off.

- Gansevoort, NY, USA

May 212013

Sonata

While driving at a low speed, approximately 30 mph and slowing to a traffic light, the entire electrical system on my 2012 Hyundai Sonata gls failed. I lost the power steering, braking and gas. All of the warning lights lit up on the console. Luckily I was able to allow the car to come to a stop on its own - if I had been traveling at a higher rate of speed, or if someone had been crossing the road, the result could have been much, much worse. Once the car stopped, I put it in park and the lights stayed on. I turned the key to the off position and then back on and it turned right back on as if nothing happened. The car was then towed to the dealer and was in service for 5 days, and they claim to be unable to replicate the failure. Since they are unable to replicate, and lemon law state that an issue must occur 3 times, I have no course of action to take besides buying a new car and taking on added expense, or driving this car, which may or may not be safe from defect and hope it doesn't happen again. I will file a complaint with Hyundai as well.

- Levittown, PA, USA

May 012012

Sonata 4-cyl

The vehicle's cruise control failed to engage or disengage when used. The dealership was initially unable to replicate the problem, then replaced a headlamp switch. After this, the radio began turning completely off while driving, and the cruise control continued to act erratically. The dealership said they could not replicate the problem but replaced the radio. Several more times, the dealership stated they were unable to replicate the problem with the cruise control and radio. After contacting the manufacturer, the dealership looked at the car again and found loose pins in the connector to the fuse box.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Apr 302012

Sonata 4-cyl

Dishonest mileage claims: 2012 Hyundai Sonata."advertised: 26/35" - actual 24/25...not even close. Class action suit in ca but, inexplicably, only 'certain' models. I've not heard one Sonata owner 'happy' with their mileage. Its fraudulent and misleading at best. Hyundai is sending an engineer to look at the vehicle but if they're on Hyundai payroll what kind of result do you think I'll get?

- Pompano Beach , FL, USA

Oct 152012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph the contact smelled a burning odor. The vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact noticed smoke coming from underneath the hood. After inspecting the vehicle the contact noticed the fuse box was on fire. The contact was able to extinguish the fire out. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 23,000.

- New Concord, KY, USA

Oct 142012

Sonata

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the horn on his alarm was not loud enough. The contact went to the dealer who refused to provide any assistance since they were not able to alter the design of the vehicle although they were aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Oct 052012

Sonata 4-cyl

The vehicle looses power while driving on the road and all the electronics shut down. I lost power steering and power brakes and could not stop the vehicle. The vehicle has an electrical problem that the service technicians can not see on the computer or figure out. First the service tech said it was a fuse not plugged in all the way then they say it was the battery.. I fear for my life in this car and will never drive it again. If I were in a cross walk I would have hit a pedestrian or I could have hit another vehicle. Luckily I was not on a high speed road or going through a toll booth or there would have been serious injuries. I cannot believe that the manufacturer feels I should drive this car. They told me it was ok before and I ended up having an accident. This car has an electronic defect. They do not put any value on lives.

- Orlando, FL, USA